Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit - Seven Mile & State Fair

Just wanted to introduce myself. I grew up in Detroit.Was raised closer to 7 mile & statefair. I lived on trumbull later in life.Lived close to Tiger Stadium. I can remember many tiger games.and the riot when we won the world series. I still have family up there as i moved to Tennessee where the weather was milder.lol.

Welcome to the forums, Ace! We're happy to have you!

Greetings Ace. Welcome to Detroityes!

I grew up at 7 Mile and Kelly. Welcome to the boards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Just wanted to introduce myself.I grew up in Detroit.Was raised closer to 7 mile & statefair.I lived on trumbull later in life.Lived close to Tiger Stadium.I can remember many tiger games.and the riot when we won the world series..I still have family up there as i moved to Tennessee where the weather was milder.lol.

Schoolcraft [[HO!) and Southfield. Public School grad.

Welcome!

I highly recommend scouring some of the Hall of Fame threads. The Old Car Factories thread is over 20 pages long with maps, aerials, locations, you name it. It will bring back memories.

Welcome, Ace!

State Fair! Tiger Stadium! Corktown! Take some time to peruse [[or search for) threads to see what you might be able to add to.

6 Mile and Gratiot. We went to Tiger afternoon games on the Gratiot Third bus in the late sixties - no worries!

Where at in Tennessee? Great state!

Spent my summers in the 60's at Keating and State Fair by the Keyhole Lounge.
    I hate looking at Google Earth now of the old neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Spent my summers in the 60's at Keating and State Fair by the Keyhole Lounge.
    I hate looking at Google Earth now of the old neighborhood.
    Did you know a guy named Bags, or Mike Weaver or Collie?

I grew up on Brush st across from Greenfield Park School. Also all gone now. Was a great neighborhood in the 60s!

Interesting the amount of people who lived off of Seven Mile. I spent much of my life between birth and 20 on Seven Mile between Evergreen and Gratiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Interesting the amount of people who lived off of Seven Mile. I spent much of my life between birth and 20 on Seven Mile between Evergreen and Gratiot.
    Although I grew up near Balduck Park on the far east side, I spent a lot of time with the family along the 6-7 Mile corridor along Gratiot. As a kid I got hair cuts at the City Barber College, had been to the Ramona Theatre several times, got clothes at Robert Hall, and often went to the Montgomery Wards just north of 7 Mile. Also frequently went to Lucy Evan's Imports, across from Wards. Sad to see such a beautiful area vanish.

I lived just off 7-mile, actually Moross, near the 7-Mack Center, in Grosse Pointe, and I had relatives across the border. Not the same thing, I know, so I have little to contribute, but since a couple of you mentioned 7 and Gratiot:

A close friend in elementary school managed to immigrate to the US after his dad worked hard to earn enough money to buy a clothing store by Capitol Park, then a shoe store, and could bring his wife and kids here too. His dad later bought another clothing store on Gratiot near 7 mile.

For a couple years I occasionally worked with my friend at his dad's stores for free [[I thought it was fun??). But only downtown. I'm not sure, but I think it was because his dad didn't think it was safe enough on Gratiot, even then.

Oh man oh man if today there were a store with the styles they had. My friend's dad had a trusted employee who did much of the selecting and seemed to have a finger on the pulse of 80's Detroit fashion.
    Last edited by bust; January-25-21 at 01:30 PM.

16210 Lawton St. between Puritan St. and Six Mile Rd. In Martin Park, Palmer Park, University Homes, Pilgrim Village to Highland Park City.
    Near University of Detroit Mercy, Avenue of Fashion, Historic Honeybaked Ham Store on Fenkell and Dexter St., Temple Israel Synagogue in 17400 Manderson St. David Ruffin's House on Parkside St. near Curtis St. and Chaldeantown.

Northland Mall was my hangout along with Northland Theater and AMC Americana in Southfield, MI.

9209 Stoepel St. West of Livernois St. between W. Chicago St. and Joy Rd. Big NBD Building on Grand River Rd. and Livernois Rd. Liz Diner in Livernois St., Penny Candy Store on Westfield St. and American St. Woolworth Store on Grand River Rd. and Joy Rd.

Grand River Rd. and Oakman Blvd. in Kingsway Dept. Store Building was my family hangout.

16885 Ardmore St. at the Hubbard King sub-division between Six Mile Rd. and Puritan Rd. next to Mount Carmel and Sinai Hospital, Randolph Voc. Tech Center along with Winship, Bagley, Crary St. Marys, Rosedale Park, Minock Park, Old Redford to Brightmoor.

Hubbard King Plaza on Schaefer Rd. and Six Mile Rd. where Woolworth's and Mercury Theater was my hang out spot.

12691 Mansfield St between Fullerton St and Schoolcraft St. across from the industrial zone. in the block club area. Near Grandmont, Rosedale Park, Brightmoor and Old Redford.

Grand River and Greenfield Rd. was my hang out place with Kingsway Dept. Store Tower Center Mall, McCrory's, Baker Shoes, Foot Locker, Payless Shoe Source. Fairlane Mall was also my big hang out place for weekend mall rat window shop. Great stores back then.

11381 Grandmont St. near Plymouth Rd. and W. Chicago Rd. near Stoepel Park #2, Our Lady Gate of Heaven Catholic Church, at the Grixdale Sub-Division near Lashley Cox, Cody Rouge, Rouge Park, Parkway Heights, Warrendale with K-Mart, Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts, Crown Lanes, and the historic Log Cabin house of St. Mary Street.

Wonderland Mall in Livonia, MI was my hangout.

460 W. Forrest between Second and Cass St. at the Wayne State University Campus in Cass Corridor, Brush Park, Art Center next to Historic Unitarian Universalist Church, near Downtown Detroit is where I hang when it was being developed. Later moved to 459 Prentis St. between Second and Cass St.

Now I've everywhere in the Ghetto hood. Hustle and flowing chatting about gentrification to those are losing their homes and find any means to keep their properties. Poor getting kick out and the rich folks are moving in. Detroit will be back to life with an urban price!

My sister lived at Rolandale and Moross for years, back when St John's was a small hospital. I also had a good friend who lived on Hillcrest and Linville. That side of town was like one huge neighborhoos from Gratiot to Mack and 7 Mile to 8 Mile
    Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I lived just off 7-mile, actually Moross, near the 7-Mack Center, in Grosse Pointe, and I had relatives across the border. Not the same thing, I know, so I have little to contribute, but since a couple of you mentioned 7 and Gratiot:

A close friend in elementary school managed to immigrate to the US after his dad worked hard to earn enough money to buy a clothing store by Capitol Park, then a shoe store, and could bring his wife and kids here too. His dad later bought another clothing store on Gratiot near 7 mile.

For a couple years I occasionally worked with my friend at his dad's stores for free [[I thought it was fun??). But only downtown. I'm not sure, but I think it was because his dad didn't think it was safe enough on Gratiot, even then.

Oh man oh man if today there were a store with the styles they had. My friend's dad had a trusted employee who did much of the selecting and seemed to have a finger on the pulse of 80's Detroit fashion.