Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: The Mondrian

Default The Mondrian

I have no idea how i forgot to get down there and take pictures of this, but as I was coming up Woodward the other day I noticed that not only had the Mondrian broken ground FINALLY after all these years but there has already been substantial construction on the site. Has construction in Detroit finally become so common that we overlook/miss projects that are underway? its a good thing IMHO.

Since I wasn't able to get pictures of it, I did stumble across this YouTube video that someone captured.

https://youtu.be/xTmgIMFsOe0?t=167

They changed the name to "Woodward West", so that may be why you haven't seen anything about it recently.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/6343351002/
    Last edited by JonWylie; January-19-21 at 07:57 PM.

Tenuous design connection to 20th century Dutch modern artist is now less marketable than "Midtown", huh?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Tenuous design connection to 20th century Dutch modern artist is now less marketable than "Midtown", huh?
    While I agree with the general overuse of the work "midtown", I don't think anyone wants to say they live in "The Drain".

It's also a ton of new units. This is such a big hole in Midtown that's finally being filled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Has construction in Detroit finally become so common that we overlook/miss projects that are underway? its a good thing IMHO.
    Standards really have danged drastically without people noticing.

For example the Park Avenue building is knee deep in renovations and has it's cornice all cleaned up [[looks gorgeous) and that's gotten little attention. There's also a pre-war high rise building being renovated in cass corridor and it's not even a blip on the radar, so many developments are going on.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    They changed the name to "Midtown West", so that may be why you haven't seen anything about it recently.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...it/6343351002/
    The name of this project is called "Woodward West".

Midtown West is a new mixed use project being built on the site of the Wigle Playfield and Recreation Center in Midtown at 3rd and Selden. I took a picture of the building this weekend:

https://imgur.com/gallery/0cOTbDO

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The name of this project is called "Woodward West".

Midtown West is a new mixed use project being built on the site of the Wigle Playfield and Recreation Center in Midtown at 3rd and Selden. I took a picture of the building this weekend:

https://imgur.com/gallery/0cOTbDO
    Yeah you're right, I'll edit my post

The Freep article says "Jackson said he doesn't anticipate renters' interest in the apartments to be negatively affected by the pandemic.“People that are going to be working from home are going to be looking for a building like ours, because we have a lot amenities," he said."

I'm skeptical how true that assessment is. As someone living in a Detroit apartment with amenities [[that have been closed since March for social distancing), I think people working from home are more likely to prioritize having extra space that a studio wouldn't offer. Not many people are going to want to spend all day living and working in a single room if they can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post

I'm skeptical how true that assessment is. As someone living in a Detroit apartment with amenities [[that have been closed since March for social distancing), I think people working from home are more likely to prioritize having extra space that a studio wouldn't offer. Not many people are going to want to spend all day living and working in a single room if they can avoid it.
    THIS. Had a friend buy their own Peleton for their tiny 1 bedroom, because the gym with several Peletons has been closed or reservation only/limited capacity for over 10 months now. No refunds were given for the $400 annual amenity fee.

^^^ I have an electric fly-wheel based small Ancheer brand peddler. Not all that admittedly, but I've put over 200 peddling miles on it. That along with actual cycling in the summer and a bit of weight training is helping to stave off the body slump from this lock down.

I cancelled my Planet Fitness membership. Not comfortable with that kind of setting yet. Though I've done a few work-outs at private gyms.

Frankai is doing a great job documenting Detroit's developments.