Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How is the ice on Belle Isle pond, are they safe.

Looking to skate on Belle Isle next weekend.

I wouldn't trust any lake ice in S.E. Michigan now. A recent picture posted on Reddit of Little Traverse Bay showed just a few floating chunks of ice.
    Go to the Campus Martius rink instead. You can't drown.

Downtown Detroit Parks Official Website

If you have to skate on lake ice, make a couple stubby ice picks from dollar store screw drivers. Use a 3' rope to hang them around your neck.

It could save your life.

I was there yesterday and only a couple of the more stagnant, shaded canals had opaque ice on them. I wouldn't trust them, especially after the warmer temperatures forecast toward the end of this week.

I was out at Belle Isle this morning and I can tell you that there is no ice thick enough to hold much beyond the weight of a bird right now. None of the lakes are frozen over, including the basin at the foot of the fountain which is usually the first to freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    If you have to skate on lake ice, make a couple stubby ice picks from dollar store screw drivers. Use a 3' rope to hang them around your neck.

It could save your life.
    I’m not real sure about that one Bigb old buddy. Ice fishing we were always taught to use something like what you’re talking about, but run the rope up one sleeve, behind your neck and down the other sleeve. That way they’re close to your hands and chance of strangulation is lessened.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I’m not real sure about that one Bigb old buddy. Ice fishing we were always taught to use something like what you’re talking about, but run the rope up one sleeve, behind your neck and down the other sleeve. That way they’re close to your hands and chance of strangulation is lessened.
    You’re not putting a real inviting spin on ice fishing. I picked up some real nice yellow perch at Meijer today. No worries about strangulating myself either.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Just buy a bag of ice, they're only a couple of bucks. Problem solved.

But you'll put your eye out just drinking beer.

Signed, One eyed Bigb.
    Last edited by Bigb23; January-19-21 at 12:03 AM.

Good point Bigb, ooh.

NO! Our neighbor's ice rink has no more than an inch and a half frozen at the deepest point. We have not had enough days below freezing. I understand your wanting to skate. I haven't even bothered to check the canals because of the warm weather.

I also wonder if the "fresh-water" project on Belle Isle will make it even harder for solid ice to form in the future.

For the dog days of January, no sun, no snow, and no ice. What's one supposed to do? This sucks.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; January-19-21 at 10:53 AM.

Take extra vitamin D. It's suppose to help for the winter blah and lack of sun.

Years ago, I used to go skating every week on Belle Isle during the cold season. In fact, we played hockey there on a regular schedule when I was a kid, and went to the Skating Pavilion for bathrooms, hot chocolate, and warmed Vernors.

But the cold season hasn't been that predictably cold for a long time now. And it's literally been decades since I've skated at Belle Isle, or seen more than a few brave souls testing the canal ice there.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Years ago, I used to go skating every week on Belle Isle during the cold season. In fact, we played hockey there on a regular schedule when I was a kid, and went to the Skating Pavilion for bathrooms, hot chocolate, and warmed Vernors.

But the cold season hasn't been that predictably cold for a long time now. And it's literally been decades since I've skated at Belle Isle, or seen more than a few brave souls testing the canal ice there.
    Any idea what the temperature was back then? Just a steady 25 and below?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I also wonder if the "fresh-water" project on Belle Isle will make it even harder for solid ice to form in the future.
    Probably. On Sunday, Lake Okonoka had a thin sheet of clear ice except where the current was running. The canal connecting Okonoka with Lake Tacoma looked much thicker, at least through the woods. I'm wondering if the new outlet for Okonoka near the fishing pier is going to make that canal more stagnant.
    Name:  canal.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  140.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Any idea what the temperature was back then? Just a steady 25 and below?
    Sometimes yes, but what really made the difference then was consistent overnight lows below freezing and less variation in daily temperatures overall. Average temperatures now are only a few degrees warmer, but we regularly get peaks of days in the 40s and 50s, with overnight lows above freezing.

It doesn't look good for any great lakes ice.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/weath...ice/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    It doesn't look good for any great lakes ice.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/weath...ice/index.html
    As a follow up, does the lack of freezing allow more evaporation, potentially reducing lake levels? As I recall those frozen winters in 2012,14 were seen as a sort-of blessing to retain the lake evaporation, thus helping to raise the lakes from their record lows.

Seems to reason, right?

If the ice the Belle Isle is not 3 feet thick. It's not safe.

Someone got out there today.

Name:  20210123_162647.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  55.9 KB

Even animals can be clueless when it comes to ice thickness...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^ I traced that back to an Israeli website where the caption translated as "The person in charge of the lake found the drowned fox, sawed it off the ice and put it on the lake as a warning not to step on the ice."

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    As a follow up, does the lack of freezing allow more evaporation, potentially reducing lake levels? As I recall those frozen winters in 2012,14 were seen as a sort-of blessing to retain the lake evaporation, thus helping to raise the lakes from their record lows.

Seems to reason, right?
    Goodness, I hope so. Lake levels are now near record highs, and my family's place on Lake Erie has had almost no beach for the past couple of summers. Our bank may be in danger of collapsing if the water stays this high into the spring storms.

Lake Michigan/Huron is down 12 inches since September.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Lake Michigan/Huron is down 12 inches since September.
    Good to hear. Then a not so cold winter [[as it has been so far) will help the evaporation rate even more, if the lakes don't freeze over.

For some reason I had always pictured heat as being a requirement for evaporation... but even the -310C cold methane lakes on Saturn's largest moon Titan evaporate...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast