Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Apple to open developer school in Detroit, the first program of its kind in the US

Technology giant Apple Inc. will open a school to train developers in Detroit later this year, its first "Apple Developer Academy" in the U.S.

The move is part of Apple's $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, which the company launched in June in the wake of the killings of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd. The program in Detroit, a collaboration with Michigan State University, is aimed at Black entrepreneurs and coders and is free for students.

...The academy will offer two programs: The first is a 30-day introductory program aimed at helping participants better understand what it means to be a developer. The other is a 10- to 12-month intensive program that will give them the skills to become a developer and possibly start their own business.

The academy will start out as a virtual program when it launches later this year due to the coronavirus pandemic, but Jackson said they plan to offer it in-person in a physical space in Detroit soon after.

The programming will cover coding, design, marking and professional skills. Apple expects to teach nearly 1,000 students per year.
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...YXX0TZZOvyWn00

Free tuition is great for any program like this, but I'm just wondering what young, adult students are supposed to do for living expenses while studying for a year? These one year intensive computer programs normally require a couple of hours of study time outside of 6-8 hours of class time so there's no opportunity to work and you can't apply for living expenses as you can with other post-secondary schooling.

I'm not giving Apple any points here since the cost of something like this is pennies to them but this is definitely a great thing for Detroit and it's nice to get Apple investment which is rare.

I wonder if the 1,000 student a year figure is for all their education efforts or just here in Detroit? Because that is a pretty large number and would require a significant amount of space in the city.

Combine this with the UofM innovation center and the city seems to be making massive forward leaps in the education area.

Great ideal...Detroit kids in the ghetto hoods need tech jobs even coding. Computers and engineering jobs are here in the 21st Century. No more working in the steel or car factories. And no more flipping burgers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Great ideal...Detroit kids in the ghetto hoods need tech jobs even coding. Computers and engineering jobs are here in the 21st Century. No more working in the steel or car factories. And no more flipping burgers, too.
    Can you quit it with your "ghetto hood" crap?

You say this kinda stuff all the time and it's extremely racist and offensive. Cut it out.

FWIW, it looks like Apple is doing this in cities all across the country with HBCUs, not just Detroit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdn...stemic-racism/

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Can you quit it with your "ghetto hood" crap?

You say this kinda stuff all the time and it's extremely racist and offensive. Cut it out.
    Clarify who it is racist to,I am white and live in a ghetto hood,right alongside of African Americans,Cubans,PRs and even Mexicans.

Unless one is thinking a ghetto hood is reserved for only one race,but then that in itself would be racist. No?

As a ghetto hood dweller I like it and am not offended in anyway,snobby people that try and run everybody’s life are to scared to come in,so they stick to their hood where they live for years,without ever even meeting their neighbors.

At least people are real,in the ghetto hoods.They do not need to try and be somebody they are not.

Do you not think Apple implementing a program targeting only African Americans is kinda racist?

If somebody is mixed race do they only get to complete 1/2 of the program?

Outside of that I think any program that provides opportunity to anybody to improve their current standing is a win win situation.

If one actually looks into to it there are already federal and private programs available in Detroit that even provide a living stipend while attending the training courses.

Apple has been around for how many years and all of the sudden they have discovered the plight of the African Americans?Wow.

Maybe if they decide to pay those ones that are trained a US living wage instead of replacing them with cheap imported labor like they did with everybody else then it will be a good thing.

Granted not my sandbox,but there seems to be a big disconnect in Detroit between the available programs that will provide opportunities and getting the word out so more can take advantage of them.
    Last edited by Richard; January-14-21 at 04:48 PM.

I hope they don't put this right downtown. It has the chance to spur some development especially if their target demographic is young people interested in tech. Eastern Market could be a cool spot, or the area around Core City. I guess I assume they are going into a Bedrock building given the article, but it would be cool to see it somewhere else.

Does Gilbert still own the warehouse behind MCS? Maybe there...

Everyone let's back the subject. There will no 'cancel culture' attitude or other attacks on this site.

I found this a couple months back and found it interesting. After reading the article I immediately thought about these renderings that show both MSU and Apple. I don't know how current these plans are but I would put my money on it ending up her.

https://www.oombra.com/#/boyer-campbell-adaptive-reuse/

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I found this a couple months back and found it interesting. After reading the article I immediately thought about these renderings that show both MSU and Apple. I don't know how current these plans are but I would put my money on it ending up her.

https://www.oombra.com/#/boyer-campbell-adaptive-reuse/
    Very good find, I'm all in on this location.