Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2021 NAIAS [Detroit Auto Show] Cancelled

On Monday, the North American International Auto Show announced it will not hold the annual event in 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In 2020, NAIAS also canceled the event as a result of the pandemic. The show was canceled last year after it was announced that Detroit’s TCF Center would become a temporary hospital for COVID patients.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2021/01/11/2021-north-american-international-auto-show-canceled-due-to-pandemic/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaig n=snd&utm_content=wdiv

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    This seems... too early and too harsh.

Even under worst case deployment scenarios, by September a significant portion of the US population [[probably everyone over 18) will have had access to get a vaccine. And while I get restrictions may still limit the international presence, I think this is the wrong move.

If all US adults will have had the opportunity to have been vaccinated, then I don’t see why the event shouldn’t happen.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it has to do with TCF Center itself, and the powers that be not allowing the TCF facility to be [[guaranteed) available for this event.

I can very easily see someone at the City saying we don’t know how long we are going to occupy TCF as a field hospital or vaccine center, and thus the inability from the powers that be to give NAIAS a commitment to have control of the center may be the true culprit, right or wrong.

I bet they wish the NAIAS had gone off as usual in Jan of 20. We'll be close to 4 years without a show with 21 being pushed and the next show scheduled a year from this September. The move to spring was always a dumb one and it's really killing them now.

Well, its always next year. I hope!

... So, Pontiac, then? Hmm. Well, best of luck, we'll see how it goes.

Not shocked at all, I agree maybe a month or two premature. I’m sure everything else scheduled for TCF this year [[boat show, autorama, ect) isn’t going to happen either.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not shocked at all, I agree maybe a month or two premature. I’m sure everything else scheduled for TCF this year [[boat show, autorama, ect) isn’t going to happen either.
    It sounds to me like they couldn't get a firm commitment from the manufacturers, foreign for sure, and possibly GM, Ford & Chrysler to invest the money they put into the NAIAS and they don't want a smaller dealer show like they had in Novi at TCS. Even if it was just for a year it would look like "look what's become of the Detroit show."
    There is still an opportunity to relaunch NAIAS in 2022. Even though there are a lot less vehicle intros at the show the timing could be good next year with all the new EV's.
    Last edited by 401don; January-12-21 at 09:22 AM.

Auto shows have been somewhat antiquated for a while now. Especially with all the super luxury car makers opting out in the recent past. Perhaps this is a good time to reinvent the whole thing. I know the move to summer was part of an attempt to restructure. Maybe start from scratch and replace it with something different? Just me thinking out loud.

Sorry but it ain’t coming back, it was already dying before Covid-19. At what point does news media put a spotlight on Police Chief Craig’s failures? There are economic consequences when you’re #1 in crime every single year. All that man offers is scandal, excuses and fake data.

And Duggan really needs to speed up the blight and dedicate more to trash/litter clean up. Bury your head in the sand if you want, but the fact is the city is currently not an appealing destination to travel to for the expense account corporate class.
    Last edited by motorcity; January-12-21 at 10:10 AM.

^ one could use that argument for the last 40 years,it did not deter at that time.

I personally think that it has to do more with the uncertainty of things,it takes millions to pre-plan it.

Then there is also the bigger picture of the automobile industry as a whole,is the motor city still the motor city as an identity.

The cars are assembled there with foreign made parts just as they are in the south.

It used to be representative of American ingenuity in automobiles built by Americans using parts built by Americans.

We went from a turbine powered automobile to a computer generated vehicle that looks like every other one on the road assembled with parts made in Mexico.

Where is the excitement in that?

Quote Originally Posted by motorcity View Post
    At what point does news media put a spotlight on Police Chief Craig’s failures? There are economic consequences when you’re #1 in crime every single year. All that man offers is scandal, excuses and fake data.
    Isn't he fairly highly regarded and respected? As I recall, they heydays of both the Auto Show and Autorama were in the 70s and 80s when crime was far higher. The homicide rate over the last five years has been less than half of what it was in the mid 80s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_...cides_per_Year Not sure why that list stops at '85 since I remember the 70s being even higher.

^^ Interesting points Richard...

^^^ Motorcity... your anecdotal input on the future of the of the NAIAS is about as irrelevant as your views on the Hudson's site... just pure speculation not based on any facts.

We're the only major city that didn't have riots.

Number one in crime my ass.

More trolling from the troll that mods refuse to deal with. That slightly political thread went down real quick, but this troll is still here...

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    This seems... too early and too harsh.

Even under worst case deployment scenarios, by September a significant portion of the US population [[probably everyone over 18) will have had access to get a vaccine. And while I get restrictions may still limit the international presence, I think this is the wrong move.

If all US adults will have had the opportunity to have been vaccinated, then I don’t see why the event shouldn’t happen.
    Atticus... I would tend to agree with you... but unfortunately we don't know how speedy the slow vaccinations are going to get. And then there's the 5,000 reporters from around the country and world, where each country will have its' own issues on how fast they can get their own people vaccinated.

Maybe they should do it in Jan. 2022 and again in Sept. 2022... to get back into the new regimen...

Let the Pontiac Auto Show sponsored by N.A.I.A.S. begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ one could use that argument for the last 40 years,it did not deter at that time.

I personally think that it has to do more with the uncertainty of things,it takes millions to pre-plan it.

Then there is also the bigger picture of the automobile industry as a whole,is the motor city still the motor city as an identity.

The cars are assembled there with foreign made parts just as they are in the south.

It used to be representative of American ingenuity in automobiles built by Americans using parts built by Americans.

We went from a turbine powered automobile to a computer generated vehicle that looks like every other one on the road assembled with parts made in Mexico.

Where is the excitement in that?
    Completely agree. The concepts used to be worth the price alone. We’ve entered a time when people really don’t care about cars like they used to. Too bad because there are some damn cool ones out there now.

The auto show could had been held outside in open air. Cars could had been displayed throughout the downtown area from TCF to Woodward and grand circus park. Are other cities across the country having auto shows this year? If so, what role did our Governor had in the cancellation of the autoshow?

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The auto show could had been held outside in open air. Cars could had been displayed throughout the downtown area from TCF to Woodward and grand circus park. Are other cities across the country having auto shows this year? If so, what role did our Governor had in the cancellation of the autoshow?
    The governor had no role and what is the point of an autoshow if your customers have to be roped off from getting near, let alone sitting inside, the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Completely agree. The concepts used to be worth the price alone. We’ve entered a time when people really don’t care about cars like they used to. Too bad because there are some damn cool ones out there now.
    With social media, automakers can better choreograph and build excitement for concept and production vehicle launches themselves. GM's most important car, the new Chevrolet Silverado, for example, was revealed in Texas before the last NAIAS. https://www.autoweek.com/news/a18371...silverado-z71/

Auto shows also used to help sell cars, but Michigan's decline doesn't make the state's sales anywhere near as relevant as California, New York, Florida, Texas ... nor anywhere near as attractive to visit as Las Vegas [[and Chicago).

Folk expecting the NAIAS to come back as we knew it or even back to Cobo at all should not hold their breath.