Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lucid Motors, Fisker and the new vehicle firms

I recall the exciting period just after World War II when several new firms looked like they would get into the vehicle business. None of them survived for long.

We are once again in an era when new firms are once again trying produce and sell innovative many vehicles. Telsa, I think, has gotten as somewhat firm footing. Fisker has been around since 2007 and may have produced as many as 2000 vehicles. They went dormant but are now taking order and claim they will deliver vehicles yet this year. I know little about Lucid Motors but they too are taking deposits and promise to deliver electric cars yet this year. I believe they are built in LA. Does any one know about their prospects?

With regard to trucks, Bollinger, BYD, Chanje, Lordstown Motors, Nikola, Rivian and Tesla all shows signs of life. Which ones of those firms will be in business in 2025.

And if that is now enough, I have read reports that Peugeot
    will enter the US market. I assume they would use Fiat/Chrysler dealer but it is difficult to see a bright future for their sales in this county. They have a line up of rather ordinary cars and box trucks.

Interesting and dynamic time in the vehicle industry.

I guess Kaiser and/or Fraser will never return. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Perhaps Tucker?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Perhaps Tucker?
    Used to be a sign at Grand River just east of Meyers: "Tucker Dealership coming here SOON!".

Yeah, it never came.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I have a 1960 Kaiser M38A1,[[Dutch version)I think they are one of the companies that probably still has the most amount of vehicles still on the road,based solely on the production of military vehicles.

There are still tens thousands of their vehicles from 1940 until 71 across the world still in service.
    Last edited by Richard; January-04-21 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I recall the exciting period just after World War II when several new firms looked like they would get into the vehicle business. None of them survived for long.

We are once again in an era when new firms are once again trying produce and sell innovative many vehicles. Telsa, I think, has gotten as somewhat firm footing. Fisker has been around since 2007 and may have produced as many as 2000 vehicles. They went dormant but are now taking order and claim they will deliver vehicles yet this year. I know little about Lucid Motors but they too are taking deposits and promise to deliver electric cars yet this year. I believe they are built in LA. Does any one know about their prospects?

With regard to trucks, Bollinger, BYD, Chanje, Lordstown Motors, Nikola, Rivian and Tesla all shows signs of life. Which ones of those firms will be in business in 2025.

And if that is now enough, I have read reports that Peugeot
    will enter the US market. I assume they would use Fiat/Chrysler dealer but it is difficult to see a bright future for their sales in this county. They have a line up of rather ordinary cars and box trucks.

Interesting and dynamic time in the vehicle industry.
    Lucid built an assembly plant in Casa Grande, AZ. They start production this April, but cars are expensive and low volume.

Lordstown and Rivian will also start production this year.

Companies like Nikola, Canoo, and Fisker seem to be more worried with selling stock and will try to figure out how to build cars later.

GM is planning on launching about 20 electric vehicles in the next few years [[including building EVs for Honda) while FCA and Toyota currently have no electric vehicle plans in North America.

I have no idea how all of this will shake out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock N Rye View Post
    FCA and Toyota currently have no electric vehicle plans in North America.
    Chrysler plans to build electric vehicles in Windsor and possibly Brampton.

Default Hyundai in talks with Apple to produce 'Apple Car'

Hyundai in talks with Apple to produce 'Apple Car'

Once upon a time, the new rich industrialists, overtook the old rich land baron aristocracy. I think this is happening again. This time the new rich are the high tech billionaires who are mounting a challenge to the old rich industrialists. New rich technology companies like Apple have a large amount of disposable income and the tech savvy to surpass staid older generation manufacturers. In this case, Apple is teaming up with an Asian car manufacturer to cash in on cheaper foreign sub-assembly labor but doing final assembly in the U.S.. No legacy costs either.

Name:  39687-76173-210107-Hyundai-xl.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  87.4 KB

Mrs. Gnome and I have 500 shares of Lordstown [[stock symbol RIDE).

The way I figure it, more folks are ordering stuff on-line, office commuting is done, looming petrol reckoning, renewables are viable...

Short travels by service/delivery personnel will rise and those folks watch their pockets like hawks.

If a plumber can sweeten his wallet by using less petrol, he will.

That said, I’m not convinced Lordstown isn’t just a fever dream but I am convinced Ford/GM will buy up their technology; so I’ll let it RIDE.

The interesting part about a lot of these companies, from what I've heard, is that they don't really have a great interest in the manufacturing aspect of the vehicles, but more in the design and technology. This is obviously a generalization, but if you look at a company like Nikola, it seems that they never really had an intent to manufacture their vehicles, but wanted to merge/partnership with a company who could actually build the vehicles.

We saw it with Tesla, who has been the hottest name in EV for nearly a decade, but has only recently been able to actually ramp up production to actually get cars to people. I think we'll see a lot of companies just completely forgo that part, and instead try to partner with VW/Toyota/GM, or another company who actually has the manufacturing power.

It'll be interesting to see what brands live on and which go the way of Pontiac/Olds/Mercury.