Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Big Band Radio Station?

Anybody know the station that currently plays big band radio in Detroit? I think it might be an AM station...and might broadcast out of Canada? Can't recall the station.

Maybe 740 CFZM out of Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Maybe 740 CFZM out of Hamilton?
    Thanks!

Doing more research I think it also might be 1460. I was telling my grandma about it - who is 90 - and she was wondering the exact station ha. My barber plays it, next time I pop in I'll double check.

There is a jazz station: KJZZ aka K-Jazz out of Cal State Long Beach, that plays big band, jazz, bebop, blues, et al on their playlist. Excellent station with no commercials. You can access them via the KJazz app or online in the Detroit area.

Thanks for this info! I like a great deal of this music.

Similarly, Radio Dismuke is a streaming station from College station, TX and plays 20’s -30’s music, some pretty obscure, complete with era commercials... I have it on all day in my office.

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    There is a jazz station: KJZZ aka K-Jazz out of Cal State Long Beach, that plays big band, jazz, bebop, blues, et al on their playlist. Excellent station with no commercials. You can access them via the KJazz app or online in the Detroit area.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. So far my favorite is Jazz24, out of Seattle Washington. There are a some commercials but far and few between. I'm always interested in new online stations.

https://www.jazz24.org

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post

Good Morning, I finally set up the new streaming system and added K-Jazz to the list. Very nice addition. Thanks for the lead.

You're welcome Honky Tonk. Pardon me if I was mistaken about the commercials. I have heard a couple lately for local businesses. I think it is a function of the COVID situation - listener support may be down so alternatives are in play.