Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Restored Ruins of Detroit - 30 E. Philadelphia

We have lost so much of our Detroit architectural heritage to the wrecking ball, but there are also many stories of restoration. Some are spectacular like what is happening with the Book Tower or The Michigan Central Depot, others less so but still significant, if yet to be proven if they will be finished, like Lee Plaza. So, what are your favorite restorations?

Recently, I was delighted to discover that one of my favorite apartment ruins, the splendid 30 E. Philadelphia, filled with new windows and hopefully on the road to recovery.

Name:  70-E-Philadelphia-Apt.jpg
Views: 8987
Size:  176.6 KB

It had been in a state of ruin for at least 20 years, pictured below in 2006 and 2007.

Name:  70-E-Phila-52860.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  170.6 KB

Name:  70-E-Philadelphia-45118.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  70-E-Philadelphi-43190.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  131.1 KB

Awesome character. That’s the quality we rarely see built new now. Today’s buildings would be a rotting skeleton in 10 years. These old buildings have sat vacant for decades and are able to be brought back. Brick and stone. Not stucco board and vinyl.

Very nice. I had to do a double check on the transoms above the old windows, which really stand out. Hopefully the top sash on the new windows open.

While not as striking as the original windows, at least the new ones pay homage to them. A very hopeful sign that it’s being rehabbed in a decent fashion. So many buildings of this scale are tragically long gone.

I was thrilled when the close by Saint Rita was finally restored a few years ago. I guess being just off of Woodward is the key.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; December-30-20 at 04:45 PM.

This apt. is welcoming????

I will stop here!
    Last edited by Danny; December-30-20 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This apt. is welcoming????

I will stop here!
    is that a promise?

Who/what company backed the restoration?

I've been watching that one for a while Lowell. Smaller, under the radar renovations renovations like this are what the city had been missing among the big projects of the past.

I've been watching the progress on the Century apartments on 3rd just north of Honest Johns too. They have the whole 4th floor exterior bricks removed right now, hope to see it come back to life soon.

Thankfully these hoods weren't "closed to gentirifers" for the sake of these gems.

Address for this is actually 30 E. Philadelphia. A guy out of Dearborn who is involved in property management seems to be the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I had to do a double check on the transoms above the old windows, which really stand out. Hopefully the top sash on the new windows open.
    Double pane thermal windows are available as operable transoms. Should have been used here.

Designed by Maurice H. Finkel for Kaufman, Parker & Galper. Quaker Apartments, 30 East Philadelphia built in 1922 North End, Detroit, MI. An article/rendering featuring the building from a 1922 edition of the Detroit Free Press.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There are two apartments a few blocks from each other on W. Grand Blvd. in Southwest Detroit that I've always liked that look like this apartment. One is the Savannah and the other is the Wilshire. I'll try and send an image of each.
    Last edited by royce; December-31-20 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    There are two apartments a few blocks from each other on W. Grand Blvd. in Southwest Detroit that I've always liked that look like this apartment. One is the Savannah and the other is the Wilshire. I'll try and send an image of each.
    Savannah Apartments Apartments - Detroit, MI | Apartments.com

Wilshire Apartments Apartments - Detroit, MI | Apartments.com

I draw no conclusions, it's not scientific, but based on the small sample of rental listings and salaries I've seen: Detroit's rent | salary ratio doesn't currently compare well vs. some alternatives.

I could be wrong. My data are limited.

What are some of the other important factors to consider?

Does anyone know how landlord profit compares, or can share better information?
    Last edited by bust; December-31-20 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Address for this is actually 30 E. Philadelphia. A guy out of Dearborn who is involved in property management seems to be the owner.
    Thanks. I had both numbers in my records and guessed the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Does anyone know how landlord profit compares, or can share better information?
    Why? What is your interest in this?

Beautiful building, I'm delighted it's coming back to life. A couple of years ago, I was talking to a guy I'm familiar with who really knows the real estate market in Detroit, he thinks, and I agree that 70% of the apartment buildings in Detroit have been lost. And that might be a conservative estimate.
    Last edited by softailrider; December-31-20 at 10:01 PM.

And the funny thing is that people from the Sunbelt cities are always shocked at how much is still left. lol

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Beautiful building, I'm delighted it's coming back to life. A couple of years ago, I was talking to a guy I'm familiar with who really knows the real estate market in Detroit, he thinks, and I agree that 70% of the apartment buildings in Detroit have been lost. And that might be a conservative estimate.
    I would say that's a little too much, obviously not based on anything concrete.

It's not like lost apartment buildings would be a unique thing to Detroit anyway. Most US cities have lost huge numbers of old apartments. You can thank the utterly insane suburban experiment this country decided to adopt for that.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; January-02-21 at 10:26 PM.