Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default MLK extension/widening across Grand River - when?

As late as 1981, there was a one-block gap in the route of Martin Luther King Boulevard [[which it had just been renamed from Myrtle Street in January 1981) where it intersected Grand River, resulting in confusing turns to pick the road back up.

By the late 1990's, the widened MLK Boulevard had been extended through [[path in red in the included 1981 aerial photo) and then widened from Grand River west to West Grand Boulevard. The I-96 overpass had already been built to accommodate a widened Myrtle/MLK back when the freeway opened in 1970.

It is likely possible that the Myrtle street signs west of Grand River weren't replaced with MLK ones until after the widening, though I can't fully confirm that.

When exactly was MLK extended across Grand River and widened west of there?

I recall that happening but can't pinpoint the date. All I know is that it made that intersection a forever-stoplight intersection.

It appears the only aerials we have are DTE ones between 1981 and 1997, so that doesn't narrow it down much for you. And yeah, the expanded street is not there in 1981, but definitely there in 1997, though it looks like land at the south end of the gas station had been recently disturbed.