Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Car Colors: Answer me a question.....if you can!

Okay, blank your minds. Now look about the streets of Michigan and the whole country if you like, and provide an answer to this question......or thought..if you wish.

Why are over 90% of today's automobiles either white, black, or gray?

Don't believe me? Do a count next time you're out.

Damn pity, if you ask me.

^^^ Excellent point!

Yes most cars increasingly are muted colors.

I've worked at the NAIAS in the past and VW loves navy blue or near-black prussian blue! I own a mildly metallic sage green/ gray sedan - opting to not even think about color when I am buying pre-owned. Focusing on other amenities first.

Ford still pushes a few green shades and red in varied permutations I've noted.

Toyota's never offered many colors and their late models in white were akin to 'house' paint-flat once they age. I've mostly owned rather nondescript gray metallic dull cars!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-19-20 at 06:12 PM.

I've noticed that too! Don't know the reason why. It's been a challenge through the years to get my choice of models in red. My 1994 Pontiac Sunbird was a true red and so was my 2006 Saturn Vue, but that shade of red was not available when I bought my 2012 Chevy Equinox, so I settled for the maroon red. Love my red cars!!

Sigh.

Standard Ford Fusion comes in a couple grays, black, shiny white, blue and red I think but you have to pay extra for the blue or red....
    These are the colors and White Platinum and Ruby Red are extra

• White Platinum
    • Velocity Blue
    • Oxford White
    • Rich Copper
    • Magnetic
    • Ingot Silver
    • Ruby Red
    • White Gold
    • Agate Black
    • Blue Metallic
    Last edited by jcole; December-19-20 at 06:48 PM.

I really like most shades of green. Especially 60's Ford/Lotus racing green.
    But my Jeep Patriot is white because that was the best deal on the used car lot.

I hate white on cars/trucks!

I don't know too many guys that didn't opt for a black truck. I guess it makes them feel more machismo. I don't understand the whole truck thing. Personally, unless I have a business where I constantly need to haul stuff, I'll pass.

I've been told black and white paint is cheaper because of the amount of ingredients, or lack thereof, to blend.
    Last edited by Maof; December-20-20 at 03:40 PM.

Clearly there are business reasons. I'd love to hear them. There are many in Detroit who could provide them, but they're so secretive they'll never.

I know nothing, but I doubt it has anything to do with any extra cost of materials. It would be minimal, at scale, relative to profit, especially for trucks.

Maybe it's because it's more profitable to charge a premium for anything outside those limitations. What I've seen: the richer the neighborhood the wider variety of colors on the road. And at the bottom, where there are klunkers and antiques still running from when colors weren't rare. At the top of the top they start to get more modest, but not at their vacation homes.

A hypothesis: Does the car color variety to wealth curve reach its zenith at peak nouveau riche, and decelerate back toward the mean as the x-axis approaches multi-generational wealth? They've always been a small and lately a smaller percentage of the population. Another hypothesis: Are the multi-generational wealthy on average more discreet-- more the more generations?

I'd be curious if there's any reliable data on it.

Sorry, I geeked out.
    Last edited by bust; December-20-20 at 05:07 PM.

We ended up buying a black Equinox because that was all that was available at the trim level we bought. We figured it wasn't worth the extra 3 grand to get the blue we wanted with a few extra options we wouldn't use.

That's a nice car.
    Congratulations!
    I like color too, but there are a lot of better ways to spend $3000.
    Like saving them.
    What a car needs to do does not depend on its color.
    Last edited by bust; December-19-20 at 10:48 PM.

Colors go out of fashion over time.

The longer you plan to keep the car, the greater the likelihood that you will choose a neutral color.

Unless you plan to keep it until it becomes a classic.

Like clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    Colors go out of fashion over time.

The longer you plan to keep the car, the greater the likelihood that you will choose a neutral color.
    More data I don't have I'd be curious to see:
    The color of the clothes actual fashion designers wear to fashion shows.
    I'm pretty sure black, tones of black, and [[very distantly) white would rank far highest, distant from any others.
    Hyper-conscious of the whims of fashion they themselves create they're hyper-conservative in the clothes they wear, so as to not go out of style.

I once set up a video camera inside a busy NYC subway station [[many years ago), during winter.
    It wasn't until I reviewed the footage it became so obvious: even as diverse as are NYC subway riders, something like 19 out of 20 wore a black coat or jacket.
    If not, something like 9 out of 10 wore a shade of dark grey.
    If not, something like 19 out of 20 red.
    If not, probably beige.
    Almost nothing else.
    Cost conscious, no dummies either.
    Last edited by bust; December-19-20 at 11:37 PM.

Dirt doesn't show on a silver car.

Yep. I can contest to that!

I drive an Aveo that's Tahiti Green. Here's what someone had
    to say about this color:

https://leftlanenews.com/2008/09/29/...o5-quick-spin/

The previous vehicle was a Ford Focus Wagon which was a blue
    green shade as well, but the best part of its paint job was added
    by Frank Galli! Pinstriping!

https://www.wxyz.com/news/frank-gall...-metro-detroit

If you live in Detroit and think your car color is too bland
    consider getting your car a pinstripe to admire.
    Last edited by Dumpling; December-20-20 at 10:57 AM.

Yet another of many reasons I'll never buy a 'new' car.

I don't plan on owning anything past 2000 or so or whenever they went nuts with the nanny nags like tire sensors.

Blue and Michigan+UAW-made Enclave here. I seem to recall hearing that red cars get more stops and tickets. Ray, how about it?

There are sites where you can see available paint colors for car models by year. For example:

http://automotivemileposts.com/cadil...t1971cadi.html

One way to see other years is to update the year in the URL, ex.:

http://automotivemileposts.com/cadil...t1969cadi.html

They don't have every year, but they have many.
    Last edited by bust; December-20-20 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    If you live in Detroit and think your car color is too bland consider getting your car a pinstripe to admire.
    A friend's dad had pinstripes and a bra painted on his K-car.
    Ok, my dad once did it on his Camry too, after the divorce.
    He's never followed the boring color idea.
    Last edited by bust; December-20-20 at 02:06 PM.

I know this will get slammed for being sexist but you can track this phenomenon to the rise or women in the auto industry and their influence.

I don't get it. Why would that be? PS. not a slam.

If you ever watch HGTV you will see lots of black, white and gray on the remodeling/decorating shows now too. Colors do follow trends.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast