Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Secretary of State Drivers License Renewal appointments 2021 ?

After getting a notice in the mail that I have to show up in person to renew my drivers license, I went online and the earliest appointment I could find anywhere in the area of NE Oakland Co. is in March.

My license expires in early February. What am I supposed to use for proper ID until then? I can get by without driving for a month or two, but that's it.
    I renewed my license online last time and cannot do it again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    After getting a notice in the mail that I have to show up in person to renew my drivers license, I went online and the earliest appointment I could find anywhere in the area of NE Oakland Co. is in March.
    My license expires in early February. What am I supposed to use for proper ID until then? I can get by without driving for a month or two, but that's it.

I have a great idea. Drive anyway, don’t get caught...

You can get appointments for the following day by checking the website at 8 a.m. and 12 p.m. the day before. Input your zip code, scroll to "book an appointment". It will give you 7 options, click on what you'll be going in for. It will then bring you to the page with various times throughout the following day for an appointment........https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...648---,00.html.............Let me know if it works for you.
    Last edited by Maof; December-19-20 at 09:02 PM.

The Secretary of State offices in Michigan are just about the worst places on earth. That opinion was formed before the Coronavirus, I wouldn't want to find out what they're like now. Driving anyway and hoping not to get stopped is an answer I guess, but there are some things you need an up to date license for. I don't think you could rent a vehicle or a hotel room without one.

It's been a decades long ongoing problem. I don't know why the problems with those offices have not been rectified by now.

I thought I heard recently that Michigan had extended the period between license photo updates. It's hard to google because there was a different change due to coronavirus that had expired. The search results are confusing.

Arizona has a bizarre system where licenses don't expire until your 65th birthday, after which you must renew every five years. However, you still need to get new photos every 12 years.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Driving anyway and hoping not to get stopped is an answer I guess, but there are some things you need an up to date license for. I don't think you could rent a vehicle or a hotel room without one.

It's been a decades long ongoing problem. I don't know why the problems with those offices have not been rectified by now.
    If those who advocate voter ID legislation get their way, voting will be something else we can't do without an up-to-date drivers license.

^^^ Hah! An ID for voting? Heck you even need one to take the Greyhound bus last I checked!

Bigb23, Maof is correct about the procedure to get an appointment soon. I just did this myself last month because after 8 years a new picture was required. Check every day and when the appointments are posted each day, pick one. I suggest not taking the first few that show because they fill up quickly and by the time you fill out the forms, those earlier appointments are gone and you have to start over. I took a 10:20 appointment and it was accepted. Be sure you have all your proper IDs with you. They invite you to come in after asking about your appointment time. Chairs spaced out 6 feet apart. No crowds, very quickly done. Let us know how it works for you.

Kelton

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Bigb23, Maof is correct about the procedure to get an appointment soon. I just did this myself last month because after 8 years a new picture was required. Check every day and when the appointments are posted each day, pick one. I suggest not taking the first few that show because they fill up quickly and by the time you fill out the forms, those earlier appointments are gone and you have to start over. I took a 10:20 appointment and it was accepted. Be sure you have all your proper IDs with you. They invite you to come in after asking about your appointment time. Chairs spaced out 6 feet apart. No crowds, very quickly done. Let us know how it works for you.

Kelton
    Thanks for some real world advice I can use. I was hoping to hear from people who have been through this during quarantine, and not from others setting up their own political soapboxes. [[bust)

So far in 2020 I've lost family members, had six major surgeries, and caught covid 19 while recovering in the hospital. [[From a nurse who always wore her mask under her nose and infected six other on the floor).
    I quarantined alone and survived at age 65.

It's hard to google because there was a different change due to coronavirus that had expired. The search results are confusing.
    Just help me with any links that can explain my way around this.
    Last edited by Bigb23; December-18-20 at 10:07 PM.

So far in 2020 I've lost family members, had six major surgeries, and caught covid 19 while recovering in the hospital. [[From a nurse who always wore her mask under her nose and infected six other on the floor).

Sorry to hear you've had a rough year. Hoping you're doing much better now. Please see my above reply with a link to get you started. Once you input your zip code, you should be good to go. Here's the link again......https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...648---,00.html
    Last edited by Maof; December-19-20 at 07:17 AM.

The Secretary of State offices in Michigan are just about the worst places on earth. That opinion was formed before the Coronavirus, I wouldn't want to find out what they're like now. Driving anyway and hoping not to get stopped is an answer I guess, but there are some things you need an up to date license for. I don't think you could rent a vehicle or a hotel room without one.

At the height of the pandemic, they eased the rules meaning that police couldn't issue fines if you happened to be driving on expired tags and licenses. I would think that would still be the case, since appointments are running 3 months out. I've pulled up behind plenty of people driving on expired tags.

Thanks for some real world advice I can use. I was hoping to hear from people who have been through this during quarantine, and not from others setting up their own political soapboxes. [[bust)

When you have Secretary of State offices that are backed up for three months, I think the problem should be politicized. When the system that we cannot avoid using, is simply not usable, it’s something that has to be corrected. Maybe those that are responsible for this mess should be held accountable.
    Last edited by softailrider; December-19-20 at 08:06 PM.

more local offices in a given county are needed. especially the more heavily populated counties. fully staffed. not 10 customer service 'spots' but only 3 people working them at any given time.

Most things can be done on line or at a kiosk. We getplates at the kiosk at Meijer. You can renew plates, licenses, and a lot more online.
    https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...0898--,00.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    more local offices in a given county are needed. especially the more heavily populated counties. fully staffed. not 10 customer service 'spots' but only 3 people working them at any given time.

^ Sadly the Enhanced Travel License with the star is not available on line. Drats!

No, but I think you can by mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Sadly the Enhanced Travel License with the star is not available on line. Drats!

^^^ I carefully checked - went to the site, multiple times and as a renewal you must come in for a photo, etc.

So I will get in line for my appointment. They extended the deadline from this past October to October 2021, owing to the fact that is not an online option.

After that October 2021 you cannot fly without that form of ID.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-20-20 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    No, but I think you can by mail.
    Unfortunately, for the enhanced drivers license you have to be there in person with some documentation.

I have no complaints. Usually renewed the registration at the kiosk but this year at Kroger. Did the next day appointment thing for my license. Stood outside for ten minutes, came in, got the photo, answered the questions, signed and paid and was out in another 10 minutes. Totally painless.

Bigb23 - You're welcome. So sorry to hear what a hard year you've had. Glad you survived the Covid. I should have also told you that once you are able to make one of the next day appointments, that's when more information will show up to guide you through the process including the form/s to fill out at home. I agree with MikeM, totally painless, shouldn't have worried so much about it. As for everyone else, take note that you can make your appointment for 6 months in advance. No need to wait till you receive your notice from the Secretary of State about your renewal. Good luck Bigb23!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    You think they are going to fully staff offices with a pandemic going on? C'mon now..

I'm glad I'm out of that rat race. Last time I renewed my plates, I walked into the clerk's office, no one else there. Walked up to the counter, did my business and was out in less than 15 minutes. Same with my DL. Still have the basic, but I think they'll be forcing the other mess on us next time which is a few years away for me. I don't plan on ever flying again or doing anything else that might need it. I keep hoping somebody somewhere will come to their senses and void that whole mess.

I renewed my enhanced license several times by mail. As long as I had gotten it at the SOS the first time, I didn't need to go in for a picture. Once every few years, I have to go in, like with any other license. And Enhanced is the same as th eone with the star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I carefully checked - went to the site, multiple times and as a renewal you must come in for a photo, etc.

So I will get in line for my appointment. They extended the deadline from this past October to October 2021, owing to the fact that is not an online option.

After that October 2021 you cannot fly without that form of ID.

Not for every renewal. I've had my enhanced since they were available and I have renewed by mail.
    Unfortunately, for the enhanced drivers license you have to be there in person with some documentation.

Yes, in my case I am not renewing, I have current, standard drivers license.

I'm getting an enhanced one for the first time.

That's why I must come in with my supporting paperwork and take new photo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast