Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Menjo's bar on 6 Mile [[McNichols)

I know Menjo's bar on 6 mile is a gay bar and has been open since 1974 as a gay bar. I've heard that they keep the name when they bought it back then in 1974. It was supposed to have been a popular supper club dating back to the 1930s or 40s. It is also a long standing rumor that Al Capone had dined there. Here is my question: I'm looking for any pictures of Menjo's from before it was a gay bar? Interior or exterior. Also, any newspaper ads for Menjo's as a supper club? I've been amazed at how some people on here find things! The address is 928 McNichols.

Thanks!

http://detroitgayhistory.blogspot.com/

Go to the Lakeview Tavern on one of the mile roads at Walled Lake, north of Twelve Oaks Mall and speak to the owners. If I'm correct, their father owned Menjo's for many years. I knew him from the Stage Deli on Northwestern. He used to regale me with stories of Menjo's while sitting at the Stage bar. He gave me his Lakeview business card about 8 or 9 years ago. I stopped at the Lakeview a couple of times but it's been quite a few years since.

Default Menjo's

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Go to the Lakeview Tavern on one of the mile roads at Walled Lake, north of Twelve Oaks Mall and speak to the owners. If I'm correct, their father owned Menjo's for many years. I knew him from the Stage Deli on Northwestern. He used to regale me with stories of Menjo's while sitting at the Stage bar. He gave me his Lakeview business card about 8 or 9 years ago. I stopped at the Lakeview a couple of times but it's been quite a few years since.
    Wow, thanks. Next time I'm out that way I'll stop in. Hopefully, they will be responsive to questions about Menjo's The place has such a rich history and everyone always wants to know more about it.

Please let us know what you find out. I remember my dad talking about Menjous back in the 50s. Would like to see some photos too.

Why not talk to the most recent owner - Jimmy? He spent 26 years working at Menjo's. He now bartends at Danny's Irish Pub in Ferndale [[nextdoor to Como's). He works Wed. - Friday nights, Sat., - days, Sun. - days.

Yeah, I know Jimmy. What I'm really looking for is pictures of Menjo's before 1974.

jhartmich, thanks for that lead. I may stop by and talk to Jimmy, myself.

interesting blog/history project. I am curious as to why a blog about gay bar history has a "warning" about offensive material. Is it just because "gay" automatically equals offensive material?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    interesting blog/history project. I am curious as to why a blog about gay bar history has a "warning" about offensive material. Is it just because "gay" automatically equals offensive material?
    Lol, well, I have one photo on there. Check out Douglas of Detroit. I could just take that photo off and drop the warning thing.

After thinking about it, I took the one nude photo off and removed the warning.

Last edited by Detroitgayhistoryguy; September-10-09 at 11:44 AM.

Got this out of the July 20th 1968 issue of Scope Magazine.

Where The Action Is !

When I was a kid, an older gent used to joke that he was "Mr. Menjo" 1974 -- and that the whole French navy was in town that night.

I like your website. It is interesting to read. I posted a note about the Brass Rail. I did not know it was gay. My friend own's the wooden statue in your picture and has it in his bar.

Wow, Krawlspace! thank you! that was just one of the kind of things I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jhartmich View Post
    I like your website. It is interesting to read. I posted a note about the Brass Rail. I did not know it was gay. My friend own's the wooden statue in your picture and has it in his bar.
    There were 3 Brass Rails, I think only one of them had a gay clientle