Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The 2021 Detroit Tigers

Time to fire up the hot stove on the 2021 Tigers season--who are launching a new season under new head coaching--this time under World Series winner but controversial signaling-scandal-tarnished AJ Hinch. The only hold over name you might recognize is Ramon Santiago. Player-wise, they have an abundance of raw but unproven talent. What do think? Is the management and player skillset to finally get them moving upward?

Here is the Tigers' complete coaching staff for the 2021 season:
    Manager: AJ Hinch
    Bench coach: George Lombard
    Hitting coach: Scott Coolbaugh
    Assistant hitting coach: Jose Cruz Jr.
    Pitching coach: Chris Fetter
    Assistant pitching coach: Juan Nieves
    First base coach: Ramon Santiago
    Third base coach: Chip Hale
    Quality control coach: Josh Paul

They were hurt as much as any team not having a minor league season. This rebuild is taking even longer than I expected and it has really hurt them that about the time it started is when the league basically decided they would value young, controllable talent more and not trade it for veterans. The good news is Torkelson and Greene look like they're for real and the Tigers have the 3rd pick this year and were just awarded the 2nd supplemental round pick as well so they have 3 picks in the top 37. They also have 3 very promising international players further away in Campos, De La Cruz and Reyes. 2021 will be one more year of signing one year bandage free agents and losing. In 2022 the young pitchers will have some experience, the fans will be back and it will be the year to make a splash with a couple of big name free agents and start winning, or at least play .500.

In case some of you weren't aware, MLB is basically taking over control of the minor leagues. Low A and High A have swapped locations so the Lakeland Tigers will now be low A and West Michigan will be High A. With their beautiful park and sky high attendance they deserve to see better ball. Also it was announced today Erie will remain the AA affiliate. There was talk Erie would be cut along with about 40 other teams this year.
    Last edited by 401don; December-09-20 at 02:24 PM.

The Tigers made an excellent decision in hiring Chris Fetter as their pitching coach. He was very successful as the pitching coach for the
    Michigan team in Ann Arbor. He well understands the science and very complicated mechanics of pitching. He has a good deal of professional experience in the minor leagues. There may be hope for the 2021 Tigers.

I still wonder.....with no fans in the stands in 2020, and none in the immediate future for 2021, how the F can they pay these millionaire's salaries for some 'athletes' who probably would have a hard time finding a real job?

^ Government subsidies to the next level [[beyond the buildings they play in). They're pending to promise pay everyone else to their income level pre-COVID!

How 'bout them first place Tigers? Ha ha, there I jinxed them.

But I can have fun while it lasts, even enjoy some retro moments, like Miggie's blizzard home run followed by his diving spear of a sure-hit ground ball to force a runner at second. I always thought he was a better player when playing the field. Let him rip--until he breaks down or not.

I'm still awaiting the debut of Akil Baddoo [what a name eh?] the phenom who's never played above single A and who tore up spring training.

All in all an interesting mix of rising talent, fill-in journeymen [Robbie Grossman, Wilson Ramos, Jose Ureña] and castoffs [Julio Teheran, Derek Holland, Nomar Mazara] led by outcast manager with a World Series Championship under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    How 'bout them first place Tigers? Ha ha, there I jinxed them.

But I can have fun while it lasts, even enjoy some retro moments, like Miggie's blizzard home run followed by his diving spear of a sure-hit ground ball to force a runner at second. I always thought he was a better player when playing the field. Let him rip--until he breaks down or not.

I'm still awaiting the debut of Akil Baddoo [what a name eh?] the phenom who's never played above single A and who tore up spring training.

All in all an interesting mix of rising talent, fill-in journeymen [Robbie Grossman, Wilson Ramos, Jose Ureña] and castoffs [Julio Teheran, Derek Holland, Nomar Mazara] led by outcast manager with a World Series Championship under his belt.
    Agreed, they might be better than expected, especially if the pitching holds up. But i still wish they had more "home run pop" in their lineup.

With the "new regime" change & the focus to WIN. . . ...Bucky Farmboy, Danny-Boy Norris, & Tommy-John Fulmer should be Mudhens or lower. Not to offend, but isn't the intent to win more games with the rebuild, maybe not?
    Last edited by Smirnoff; April-04-21 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Well I didn't have to wait long. He started yesterday and hit the major league pitch he saw out of the park and ended the day one for three.

The next Al Kaline or the next Chris Shelton? Time will tell.

And after game four. "poof". Back to reality.

A drubbing today but that didn’t stop rookie phenom Akil Baddoo.

Yesterday the 22 year old who’s never played above single A homered on the first major league pitch thrown to him.

Today? Ho hum. Just a grand slam home run and a single.

Do I hear a Baddoooooo.

Okay this Akil Baddoo story is just nuts.

His First Game: the 22 year old who’s never played above single A homers on the first major league pitch thrown to him.

Second Game: A grand slam home run and a single.

Third Game [Today]: Hits the game-winning walk off single in the 10th inning.

What a fairytale three game beginning to a big league career. Nothing like this, even close in Tiger history, that I know of.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 7.35.07 PM.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  48.8 KB

Here comes Baddoo!!!!!!

Fourth Game: Baddoooo triples in a run, throws out a base runner from the outfield.

After only 7-games, toothless Tigers in AL Central last place, great.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    After only 7-games, toothless Tigers in AL Central last place, great.
    Sounds familiar, just like the Wings, Pistons and Lions.

Baddoo-doo: 0-5 in last 2 games, nice. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Baddoo-doo: 0-5 in last 2 games, nice. ��
    Now one for his last 15. Back to my original question, he’s looking more like Chris Shelton and less like Al Kaline. In the age of Major League analytics and quants, it doesn’t take long to figure out the holes.

19. Default

This has to be some sort of team record for futility. After yet another shut out loss today, the Tigers are now hitting .199 as a team. Former triple crown hitter Miguel Cabrera is hitting .115! Phenom Akil Baddoo who tore up the first two weeks has faded to .203. Never seen a more pathetic start. This has become Lions level. Al Avila has to be on the menu.

Same ole putty tats, still losing games rather than having the confidence to win. So this season let them lose more games. By next year they will improve if some of the teams stay.

When Isaiah Thomas joined the Pistons. He was a fresh brand new small guy that can't dunk a basket. After a couple of struggling seasons. He improved along with his team. Most of them decided to stay a little longer and improve.

So did Steve Yserman and his team.

Give a while. This cast will improve. Tiger athletes will analyze the game. Then let the organization keep the young players.
    Last edited by Danny; May-03-21 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Same ole putty tats, still losing games rather than having the confidence to win. So this season let them lose more games. By next year they will improve if some of the teams stay.

When Isaiah Thomas joined the Pistons. He was a fresh brand new small guy that can't dunk a basket. After a couple of struggling seasons. He improved along with his team. Most of them decided to stay a little longer and improve.

Give a while. This cast will improve. They them analyze the game. The let the organization keep the young players.
    I would like to refute your comments as soon as I finish banging my head on the table.

I think it’s time to fire Al Avila. Was a rebuild necessary? Yes. Should he have unlimited time to do it? No.

What's even sadder than the current roster is what lies below. Through all of Miggy's time on the disabled list the last 4-5 years, not once has his position at first base been threatened. At this point he might deserve an extension as opposed to a buy-out.

We're hitting worse than the 1962 Mets at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Give a while. This cast will improve. They them analyze the game. The let the organization keep the young players.
    Isiah Thomas when he came into the league was an excellent point guard. He developed his outside shot a year or two into his career. As far as his dunking a basketball, I'm pretty sure he could dunk, he just didn't dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    I think it’s time to fire Al Avila. Was a rebuild necessary? Yes. Should he have unlimited time to do it? No.
    I agree with you. Avila hasn't done what's necessary to field a competitive team on the field. I look at the Pistons and they are rebuilding too, but despite of all the losses they endure, they play hard and give themselves a chance to win most of the time, plus they're actually fun to watch now. Only their inexperience shows up at the end of games with turnovers or bad execution, not for a lack of hustle and uninspired play. They have a promising future at least. The Tigers on the other hand, are years away from being competitive and have none of those traits. They strike out a lot, and the lineup has no power. Pitching has been so-so as well. If they get a good outing from a pitcher, they can't give him run support. Worst team in baseball for sure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast