Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default GM's Factory ZEro

We all know it as the "Poletown Plant", the GM plant that supplanted Dodge Main and, controversially took down the Poletown Community with it, while preserving the Beth Olem Cemetery. Then, for a brief time a couple of years ago, Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly [its actual name ask D-Ham] appeared doomed to closure.

Instead it is now stepping into the future under the banner of Factory Zero where it "will be the epicenter for GM's vision for an all-electric future when GM starts making the 2022 GMC Hummer electric pickup there late next year. The self-driving Cruise Origin car will follow, then several yet-to-be-named EVs."

This is great to see a Detroit plant again on the cutting edge of manufacturing and the future of transportation, something missing since the Model T days.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 11.05.48 AM.png
Views: 903
Size:  281.6 KB
    “We're the epicenter for zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion for the company,” Quick said, referring to the company's vision with electric and self-driving cars.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com/?publink=155c97db2_134391a

Interesting too will be the implementation of the “stop-station” process whereby automated carts bring the vehicle to stations of workers instead of workers standing along a traditional assembly line as the car moves along.

So, as the Model T revolutionized auto manufacturing via the assembly line, this process, made possible by computerized coordination, makes possible a throwback to when early autos were assembled by teams.

I really don't believe there was ever a plan to close this plant. Announce the closing along with others you intend to close then announce plans to keep it [[which happens to be the Detroit plant) open during contract negotiations - a big win for the union!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I really don't believe there was ever a plan to close this plant. Announce the closing along with others you intend to close then announce plans to keep it [[which happens to be the Detroit plant) open during contract negotiations - a big win for the union!
    I think I agree. Makes sense for GM to start from such a low point of closing plants and then the act of simply keeping them looks like a win. GM was never hurting.

Regardless though, an electric car plant is still a great gain for the city and the future, this is still a billion dollar investment.

This is the Detroit development that excites me most. More than Hudson's, more than Ford/MCS, more than City Modern-- though those are very exciting too.

What Detroit needs most are lots more jobs focused toward innovating the future economy, such this initiative will create. Particularly great: they'll span a range of skillsets that are a natural fit for Detroit's automobile manufacturing expertise. I'm especially glad they'll be in Detroit proper, here.

Besides condemning Poletown that factory created an enormous barrier between Jefferson-Chalmers and the city's core. It would be a shame for it to go idle and be left with only that separation. I can think of no better use for that property.
    Last edited by bust; December-06-20 at 02:14 PM.

Let's hope Factory ZEro saves Hamtramck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hamtramck is not looking so good lately. Joseph Campau almost a ghost town.

Not sure if it is still around,but they have or had a solar panel array there that gave real time usage numbers online,you could tell the difference in cloudy days etc. I have not check in 7 or 8 years but it may still be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I don't think Hamtramck needs saving, it's been doing great lately [[other than Covid of course) but if the plant was shut down that would have been a big punch in the gut.

I'd bet GM can't wait to get this place online. The Edition 1 Hummer EV, which will be produced at Factory ZEro sold out in ten minutes.

"Edition 1, which is due out late next year, has a starting price of $112,595. It will be built at GM's Factory ZERO in Detroit and Hamtramck, which is being retooled now to assemble a series of all-electric vehicles.

"The pickup can go from 0-60 mph in about 3 seconds and it has new technology such as the “crab walk,” which allow s the wheels to turn diagonally to get you out of tight spots, as well as hands-free."

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publink=293aefb5a_134391d