Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wow it's been a wild 21 years...

What was the first post ever created in the DYes Forums back when it was bhere.com? I'd love to be able to see the first one i created.

Ditto here Detroit Stylin... I believe Lowell said you and I were the longest members still active. I know in the 20+ years I've been here I believe I posted about 21,000 times... under several resets in the post counts [[last one being March 2009).

There are a lot of former members I miss here, unfortunately some are no longer with us.

But fortunately the major Ruins of Detroit become fewer each year... with many buildings resurrected for a new chance on life. And even then there are those buildings we lost... that really should have had a chance... but sadly never made it.

Yeah thats the bright spot. When I first ran across this site I was still in the Army with 3 years to go stationed in VA on the first computer i ever own getting online for the first time. I spent a few weeks going through the ruins tours in amazement and sadness...

bhere.com is still there, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    bhere.com is still there, by the way.
    Wow! I had no clue. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Wow! I had no clue. Thank you.
    I'll just whack that gratitude back to Lowell.

There's also atdetroit.net.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-04-20 at 08:42 AM.

The first forum was in 1999 which use a terrible plugin from Microsoft Front Page. It had no account or management structure and was as easy to troll as it was difficult to clean out.

I had hope archive.org would have saved some of it but I've not had luck finding any so far. However I did find some from 2001, when I began using Discusware forum software and had moved the site under DetroitYES.com, with posts from 'old-timers' Detroit Stylin and Gistok.

http://web.archive.org/web/200102221...troit_tocf.htm

And thanks for the kind remarks.

Our thanks to Lowell for the Fabulous Ruins of Detroit and the DetroitYES Forum!! Dave [[aka The Grillmaster) discovered the Ruins site first so we followed it and then the Forum when it came along. We cherish the good friends that we made and the info shared during those early days. What good times!! What treasured memories!! Thank you, Lowell! And thanks to all!

21 years ago I emailed Lowell. Wow. Thanks for everything Lowell and Team.

Haven't been along for this ride since it started, but I wasn't far behind. This site is one of the best ways for an ex-Detroiter living 2k miles away to keep up with what's going on in Motown.

In my humble opinion, the 4 page Old Factories list [[with addresses) embedded in the 25 page thread "Old Car Factories" available in the Detroit Yes Hall of Fame is one of the most informative and well documented Detroit history pages available on the innertube.

Anyone who has a car and drives around town regularly and repeatedly asks themselves "what the heck did this used to be?" would be wise to locate the list and do a drive-around before more of them disappear. [[The entire area north of Fort Wayne has disappeared, cleared for the Gordie Howe bridge, in the last year).

And thanks, Lowell, and all the other fantastic contributors over the years.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; December-05-20 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    In my humble opinion, the 4 page Old Factories list [[with addresses) embedded in the 25 page thread "Old Car Factories" available in the Detroit Yes Hall of Fame is one of the most informative and well documented Detroit history pages available on the innertube.

Anyone who has a car and drives around town regularly and repeatedly asks themselves "what the heck did this used to be?" would be wise to locate the list and do a drive-around before more of them disappear. [[The entire area north of Fort Wayne has disappeared, cleared for the Gordie Howe bridge, in the last year).

And thanks, Lowell, and all the other fantastic contributors over the years.

I put the addresses from the OCF thread into a spreadsheet, there are other pages on the bottom for coachbuilders, parts, trucks, etc. [[hope this link works) Still need to go through the whole thread again to update the db, someday.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Damn time flies! I still enjoy visiting daily and keeping up with downtown happenings. Has and continues to be a great site.

JVLIVS here, 4merly known as "Waxx" from mid to L8 2000s. I just saw the old threads just now.

Memories, indeed.