Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default It will be a non-existant bar night tomorrow night [[Wednesday before Thanksgiving)

Traditionally the biggest bar night of the year. It was a great night in my college days, coming home from school and meeting up with all your old friends.

I agree, very sad.

I'll be settling in at my basement bar with my neighbor. Then again, I'd be doing that anyway even if there was no pandemic. Call me crazy, but I like being able to drink my own booze [[not ridiculously up charged), eat my own food, and be able to pee in my own bathroom; not surrounded by a bunch of loud ass drunks screaming at each other.

One less "amateur night" on the roads...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    One less "amateur night" on the roads...
    It's right up there with New Years Eve and St. Patrick's Day as one of the worst nights of the year to go out.

It don't seem to make them no nevermind...

https://nypost.com/2020/11/22/florid...skless-crowds/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It don't seem to make them no nevermind...

https://nypost.com/2020/11/22/florid...skless-crowds/
    Knuckleheads

I spent 7 night-before-thanksgivings in a row at Jumbo's. That place was like home down the street from home for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I spent 7 night-before-thanksgivings in a row at Jumbo's. That place was like home down the street from home for many years.
    I also happened to spend a little too much time at that place. Used to love the wanton women crowd.

Add one more Jumbo's fan to the list.

All those idiots partying in Florida remind me of the sad situation with a 30 something partier who just before he died 2 months ago in the hospital of Covid... his last comments were "I think I made a mistake"...

Yes, I recall that very sad case. The man had attended one of those COVID-dare parties. Incredible to take such a bold-faced risk considering the varied outcomes per your own particular body, resistance and the variable strains.

Then you have the other extreme not satisfied until you're locked in your room alone, wearing your mask, even while sleeping, with an in-house government sponsored surveillance camera verifying your compliance!

The extremes propel each other I'm finding talking to more and more.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-26-20 at 09:34 AM.

Add one more Jumbo's fan to the list.
    Not many bars left like Jumbos. I enjoyed the Detroiter bar a fair amount. Don't get me wrong i like a sleek place with fancy drinks too, but where have the regular bars gone?

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Not many bars left like Jumbos. I enjoyed the Detroiter bar a fair amount. Don't get me wrong i like a sleek place with fancy drinks too, but where have the regular bars gone?

I also used to patronize The Bronx Bar quite a bit. Not sure if it's around anymore. My cronies and I used to go to a hole-in-the-wall called The Golden Pheasant on Warren in Dearborn. That one was a very pleasant surprise. Very upbeat crowd for what it was. Every bar these days seems to have a theme.

Blame COVID-19.

I used to love me a good dive bar; never liked any that were pretentious. Gusoline Alley in RO was a great one many years ago, as well as Royal Bar on the Clawson/RO border. And Charley's Pub also in Clawson. As a bartender, hated Thanksgiving Eve, St Pat's and NYE. College kids home on break, people who only went out 3 times a year and got soused on those nights. Strictly amateur. But that was over 27 yrs ago when I quit drinking so don't know if it's still the same today
    I also used to patronize The Bronx Bar quite a bit. Not sure if it's around anymore. My cronies and I used to go to a hole-in-the-wall called The Golden Pheasant on Warren in Dearborn. That one was a very pleasant surprise. Very upbeat crowd for what it was. Every bar these days seems to have a theme.

We couldn't not go out even though we [[the wife and I) are way beyond our prime. We put on the rain gear and stood outside at our local brewery and had a couple of local brews with the other hearty individuals who wanted to brave the weather. Was happy to give them some business and tip the workers who are definitely struggling given the current state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I used to love me a good dive bar; never liked any that were pretentious. Gusoline Alley in RO was a great one many years ago, as well as Royal Bar on the Clawson/RO border. And Charley's Pub also in Clawson. As a bartender, hated Thanksgiving Eve, St Pat's and NYE. College kids home on break, people who only went out 3 times a year and got soused on those nights. Strictly amateur. But that was over 27 yrs ago when I quit drinking so don't know if it's still the same today
    28 years here. Maybe we're related?

Leman's 411 on Macomb. The Downtown on Lafayette opposite the Coney's. Texas Bar on Kercheval. Marshall's on Jefferson. Rustics, if you're going GP upscale.

Blame it on de' al-a-ah-a-alcohol...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Blame COVID-19.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-27-20 at 05:58 AM.

In a sense, for sure
    28 years here. Maybe we're related?

Jumbo's has had a bit of a rebound in recent years. My son and his cohorts, one who is a cousin of the current owner who's a descendent of Jumbo himself, gather there. So I've ended up there too. It has the cachet of being the Cass Corridor's last dive bar, for now anyway, that has done nothing to change its gritty windowless decor.

Still, it is nothing like the notorious Jumbo's of old that a tough Irish uncle of mine frequented in days of yore when the bars lining 3rd Ave. where known for hooker hookups and frequent muggings.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.52.32 AM.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.54.52 AM.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 10.52.47 AM.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  65.3 KB

Bronx bar is still going strong. It's cleaned up a little though. Always had a good burger too.

Texas Bar on Kercheval. What a weird joint to find on that street. Lots of motorcycle guys right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast