Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ruth Ellis LGBTQ Center

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...nd/6354945002/

Ground has been broken on a new complex for at risk LGBTQ youth and young adults, on Clairemount just off Woodward. Looks like it will provide much needed housing and services. Personally, I’d skip Ruth’s giant likeness on the façade.

More infill on vacant land!
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; November-24-20 at 09:50 AM.

This is very exciting! A much needed development for this wonderful organization and the city, congrats to them!

This will be a great development for an awesome organization. The location is perfect too with accessibility to bus lines.

One less vacant lot sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    One less vacant lot sounds good to me.
    Presumably a number of lots at that, judging from the rendering.

hopefully this project will be completed on its projected schedule, despite the pandemic. very good mission.

This is excellent news. At risk youth in the D need options like this for safe housing. Piety Hill is a place I always enjoy for long walks because there are so many nice friendly people that I have met that live in that area. King Cole Foods is one of the best neighborhood markets in the city in my opinion because of the very same reason. Good people, customers as well as the folks who work there.

Good News

I know that Alternatives for Girls is moving steadily towards a similar development in Northwest Detroit for formerly homeless residents.

Might want to hit up actor Elliot Page [[formerly Ellen) for a donation. He came out as transgender this week and has spoke out and raised money for LGBTQ rights. The Detroit connection - Starred in the Drew Barrymore classic Whip It, filmed in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    This is excellent news. At risk youth in the D need options like this for safe housing. Piety Hill is a place I always enjoy for long walks because there are so many nice friendly people that I have met that live in that area. King Cole Foods is one of the best neighborhood markets in the city in my opinion because of the very same reason. Good people, customers as well as the folks who work there.
    I don't believe that many would agree with your definition of good people. King Cole Foods sells adulterated food - rotting meat and vegetables. The violations may be egregious since the Department of Agriculture, not the city Health Department is involved.

Detroit Grocery Store Accused Of Selling Spoiled Food – CW50 Detroit [[cbslocal.com)

Detroit Grocery Store Accused Of Selling Rotten Meat [[radio.com)

King Cole Foods ownership is also guilty of food stamp fraud, sports bribery and gun crimes. A fine and restitution of $1.4 million is unusual for an inner-city grocery store.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edmi/pr...sports-bribery

Owners taking advantage of city residents with few grocery store alternatives are definitely not good people.

This is great! Ruth Ellis is on my short list of fairly sizable year-end donations, and I'm glad to see them building bigger accommodations to accomplish their mission.