Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Country Day School

Does anyone know where I can find photos of Detroit Country Day school when it was still in the city on 7 Mile in the Palmer Woods area?

Nice history and video here

https://www.dcds.edu/mission/history

Name:  EB1983D1-B70F-4C09-87CF-5AEC3EE80033.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  42.6 KB
    Last edited by Wheels; November-23-20 at 09:34 AM.

You can find every information you need on the school's official website. Go to: dcds.edu/mission/history.

Located at 10235 W. 7 Mile west of Wyoming.

I'm trying to envision the school if it was located at 10235 W. 7 mile rd. Tom's Tavern is located at 10031 W. 7 mile rd. and the recreation center - Germinor [[correct spelling?) was located at 10301 W. 7 mile rd. I can't imagine a building in-between those two buildings since they are practically next door to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    I'm trying to envision the school if it was located at 10235 W. 7 mile rd. Tom's Tavern is located at 10031 W. 7 mile rd. and the recreation center - Germinor [[correct spelling?) was located at 10301 W. 7 mile rd. I can't imagine a building in-between those two buildings since they are practically next door to each other.
    Probably between Tom's and the SS office is today, but set back of the road where the park is today. The school was set in a 5 acre site until 1957, so it probably took up that whole park and the schools that are there now
    Last edited by jcole; December-11-20 at 11:57 AM.

Hi jcole; thanks for that information, the building must have sit way back from 7 mile. Did the school sit behind Gemeiner Recreation Center? There was a bank where the SS office is today. I worked at Tindal Recreation Center for over 20+ years [[starting in 1979) and Tindal's address is 10301 W. 7mile. There was a communications building just west of the center, did Country Day sit behind that building?

According to Country Day's history, they had a 5 acre parcel there where the school sat; they moved out of it in 1957 and went to Beverly Hills where they are today. I'm guessing a lot of stuff that is there now didn't exist in 1957 including Tindal. Country Day had 3 schools on that site by the time they moved out, so perhaps Tindal was one of their buildings that was repurposed?

1949 aerial. Looks like the building pictured above would have been where the parking lot behind the SSA is now. The grounds would have been on the east and south side of the building.

Name:  ha-18-48.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  87.0 KB

I believe Tindal Rec was built sometime around 1970. We had close friends who lived in that neighborhood on Griggs and I remember seeing the building going up as a kid. We also knew Councilman Bob Tindal, who died in office in 1971, and the still-new rec center was named for him shortly thereafter.

OK, I was wrong. What I remember apparently is the remodeling [[rebuilding?) of the center in 1973, which is when it was renamed for Robert Tindal.

The land was purchased by the city in 1957 and the building was remodeled from the Country Day building and opened as the Clarita-Washburn Recreation Center in 1958 [[per Free Press, 1/28/58). At some point soon thereafter the building and the park around it were renamed Gmeiner [[not Gemeiner, as it shows on Google Maps) after a socially prominent Detroit family, since it shows as Gmeiner Field and Gmeiner Rec Center by the summer of 1959.

Hi Eastside Al and Jcole; Yes, there was a Gmeiner Recreation Center there.
    I remember it being there when we would practice and play for the Northwest Detroit Little League there in the mid and late 60's. Also remember them re-modeling Gmeiner into Tindal; and they did the same thing with the Johnson Recreation Center. I can tell you exactly where the Gmeiner portion of the building ends and the Tindal portion begins. The gym was built on when they built the Tindal portion, Gmeiner had a tiny gym [[we called that room the multi-purpose room or room 1, that's where the square dancers danced.) The Gmeiner building is still standing, at least last year they were using that portion of the building as a Head Start program.