Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit's North End - "Hood closed to Gentrifiers!"

In Detroit's North End ghettohood, a man who calls himself "Bryce Detroit" put up a pseudo street sign that says "Hood Closed to Gentrifiers" on Oakland Street sending a message to keep private developers out!

Here is the source...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-neighborhood/

With most Detroit ghetto hoods are being transformed and developed into Dan Gilbert's Disneyland, would this man's anti-developer message keep Detroit's hoods preserved or will developers sees this as nothing. Everyone has a right to buy land and property in Detroit both public and private. It's not going to easy for some. Detroit needs a glimmer of renaissance and rebirth to lure diversity from all corners of the world to live, work or play.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Danny; November-19-20 at 08:57 AM.

If the people of that neighborhood loved it so much it wouldn’t have became notoriously violent with a commercial street filled with vacant lots. Now with people who actually care about their homes and neighborhood living there this 1 idiot says he speaks for the rest of the neighborhood. Bryce Detroit is corny and an idiot, clickondetroit should be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    If the people of that neighborhood loved it so much it wouldn’t have became notoriously violent with a commercial street filled with vacant lots. Now with people who actually care about their homes and neighborhood living there this 1 idiot says he speaks for the rest of the neighborhood. Bryce Detroit is corny and an idiot, clickondetroit should be embarrassed.
    Bryce Detroit is the like the Lorax. He speaks for the hood. Trying to keep out 'The Once-l-ers' who has a need for Thneed or to create ' Thneedville' in our once Detroit ghetto hoods.
    Last edited by Danny; November-19-20 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Bryce Detroit is the like the Lorax. He speaks for the hood. Trying to keep out 'The Once-a-ers' who has a need for Thneed or to create ' Thneedville' in our once Detroit ghetto hoods.
    He’s a racist idiot, you should be ashamed

Same thing happened in NE Washington, DC. A "hood" for many years, individuals [[mostly white) came in to buy and rehabbed the wonderful old townhouses [[mostly owned by blacks). However, the sellers made some good change off the sales.

Some of the stuff he says are just flat out offensive to POC, not just whites.

Colonialism killed many people around the world [[mainly black and brown people), it also stripped them of their sovereignty.

What gentrifier is killing people in their neighborhood and taking away other's rights? How can somebody have the audacity to make a comparison like that? He might as well compare it the holocaust while he's at it. Obviously he's desperate for attention.

From my admittedly distant perspective, I’d say the city is doing a much better job of balancing development with preserving affordable housing options than other cities have. I constantly seem to see substantial percentages of affordable units included in most developments.

And so much redevelopment is happening on vacant land or with vacant properties.

When development happens on empty lots or where residents willingly, hopefully happily, sell their homes, I see no problem. Homes are rehabbed, businesses thrive, more jobs are offered. Good for everyone.

Best case scenario: development brings new vitality, but not so fast landlords get greedy. It would be a messed up world if good for property values always meant bad for the community. I don't think it does. But there is a but.

It's not the same for renters, even while many benefits do exist. I know from experience: I've been priced out of neighborhoods many times myself.

In the case of the North End the complaint would resonate with me if greedy landlords were forcing longstanding businesses to close and longtime residents to move out. But that's not the case, is it? It shouldn't. There's plenty of space, and room for everyone to share. In the best communities old and new feed each other symbiotically.

The Onceler's mistake was not seeking a profit, it was lacking the vision and ethics to realize being so greedy as to fully capitalize on immediate opportunity would not only destroy the community and its beauty, as if that weren't enough, it would lead to his fall.
    Last edited by bust; November-19-20 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Same thing happened in NE Washington, DC. A "hood" for many years, individuals [[mostly white) came in to buy and rehabbed the wonderful old townhouses [[mostly owned by blacks). However, the sellers made some good change off the sales.
    Of course white folks want their D.C. back from the hoodies since the 1970s D.C. experienced a return of white folks to the once black hoods. While Black flight to New Jersey suburbs increased due to cheap property rates and that white investors can rehab those homes and be closer to the U.S. Capital, White House and over government buildings to do their business and protect their monuments from riff raffs who want to vandalize them all.

By the way D.C.'s white population went from 20% in 1970 to 40% in 2020. It was slow but it gained.

This guy is a racist, nothing more. He sees skin color first and last, small mind right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Of course white folks want their D.C. back from the hoodies since the 1970s D.C. experienced a return of white folks to the once black hoods. While Black flight to New Jersey suburbs increased due to cheap property rates and that white investors can rehab those homes and be closer to the U.S. Capital, White House and over government buildings to do their business and protect their monuments from riff raffs who want to vandalize them all.

By the way D.C.'s white population went from 20% in 1970 to 40% in 2020. It was slow but it gained.
    if you think DC blacks were leaving for the New Jersey suburbs, you might want to look at a map.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; November-20-20 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    When development happens on empty lots or where residents willingly, hopefully happily, sell their homes, I see no problem. Homes are rehabbed, businesses thrive, more jobs are offered. Good for everyone.

Best case scenario: development brings new vitality, but not so fast landlords get greedy. It would be a messed up world if good for property values always meant bad for the community. I don't think it does. But there is a but.

It's not the same for renters, even while many benefits do exist. I know from experience: I've been priced out of neighborhoods many times myself.

In the case of the North End the complaint would resonate with me if greedy landlords were forcing longstanding businesses to close and longtime residents to move out. But that's not the case, is it?
    But it is, a friend of mines rents on Smith, it was $700 in 2014, now it's about $950. Residents who rent are being priced out. That's the problem. Sellers are flipping the fixer uppers, so you can't even own a raggedy home under $80k now.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    This guy is a racist, nothing more. He sees skin color first and last, small mind right there.
    I don't think he is racist because some of these yuppies are also black suburbanites, but he does lack the understanding that if you want to keep gentrify-ers out of your neighborhood then you need to form a group of members in your community to purchase the leftover abandoned homes, pick up some bricks and lumber and get to work. I don't like gentrify-ers, but if you can't beat 'em join 'em because they are profiting from your neighborhood and you are not.

^^^ Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    if you think DC blacks were leaving for the New Jersey suburbs, you might want to look at a map.
    I already did. And it's not pretty. Even since the mid 1980s Black migration from D.C. to the New Jersey suburbs not because of an opportunity of cheap property and pre-fab homes in their maze of woods and hills. It's to escape the rise of violent crime in their row home hoods. By the 1990s White folks from New Jersey, Maryland and Virginia see those D.C. row home hoods is a opportunity to buy them cheap, raise the rents, kick the riff riffs out, fix it up and either rent or sell those homes to folks with job and money. Even those who [[are Republicans) working more near any government businesses. White folks want their D.C. back and they will continue to clean sweep the riff raffs out of D.C. and not to touch their government properties. I seen it happen when I went to D.C. in the 1990s. I seen how the their hoods change right before my eyes.
    Last edited by Danny; November-20-20 at 07:06 AM.

I sure tire of this black v. white posted by Danny all the time. We're all human. Ain't it about time we put this shit behind us?

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    But it is, a friend of mines rents on Smith, it was $700 in 2014, now it's about $950. Residents who rent are being priced out. That's the problem. Sellers are flipping the fixer uppers, so you can't even own a raggedy home under $80k now.
    You can still get perfectly livable homes on the west side for 40-30K. There are still plenty of affordable options.

This guy is just an aggressive moron. You are not the dictator of Detroit and you don't get to decide who invests in the city, and no it's not colonialism it's the free market United States of America. How the hell can anybody look at the changes in the city, neighborhoods finally getting the resources and attention they deserve and then rally against that? There are Detroiters who will cry tears of joy when they see properties getting fixed in their neighborhoods, I guess those people don't matter.

If you're priced out of the Woodward corridor then tough tits, why should anybody give a damn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I sure tire of this black v. white posted by Danny all the time. We're all human. Ain't it about time we put this shit behind us?
    Hear, hear. Ignore racists like this guy. Embrace everyone.

[[Fortunately, the largest percentage of African-Americans nationwide voted for President Trump -- showing that there's a growing realization that the party of divisiveness is failing our cities including Detroit.)

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    You can still get perfectly livable homes on the west side for 40-30K. There are still plenty of affordable options.

This guy is just an aggressive moron. You are not the dictator of Detroit and you don't get to decide who invests in the city, and no it's not colonialism it's the free market United States of America. How the hell can anybody look at the changes in the city, neighborhoods finally getting the resources and attention they deserve and then rally against that? There are Detroiters who will cry tears of joy when they see properties getting fixed in their neighborhoods, I guess those people don't matter.

If you're priced out of the Woodward corridor then tough tits, why should anybody give a damn?
    North End is not on the west side. Half of the people who are being priced out have lived in the neighborhood all of their life. The other half lost their homes due to the over taxing by the city on their property taxes [[I personally was over taxed by $7K from 2011-2016).

I see the changes but it is only happening in the few desired neighborhoods. Look at the NEZ zone map, the only tax breaks go to desirable areas and not the areas that need the most help. 85% of the east side is not even included. That’s the issue, neighborhoods which need the most help are not getting the help they need and the ones closest to Woodward, Downtown, or not too far from historical districts get the most attention and raised property values where people who rent can’t afford. I’m speaking from currently living in an area that the city has forgotten about. Gentrification is not happening city-wide, only in the few desired areas.

I never said North End was on the west side, most of the North End is not even in an NEZ either. You really just added to my point, the anti-gentrification sentiment is unfounded.

Hah! And more than a few Detroit blacks are independents too as we emerge from the position of being ever-handled by EVERYONE [[on our behalf). Additionally, more A-A's remaining in the dem party are openly challenging the status quo ''course we have your vote' democratic playbook!

Further, as I have said elsewhere, a percentage of blacks are socially conservative [[without being republicans - mind you) not willing to follow every doctrine, and dictate of the in-coming far left where such presents.

No more than we're enthusiastic about the far right!! Though the far left does promise alot - claiming to be our true, unyielding, 'ally'......

Ongoing 2021, policy, control and politics are going to be interesting; working out across the Detroit landscape; this area and other neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ...Fortunately, the largest percentage of African-Americans nationwide voted for President Trump -- showing that there's a growing realization that the party of divisiveness is failing our cities including Detroit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-25-20 at 10:51 AM.

[[Fortunately, the largest percentage of African-Americans nationwide voted for President Trump -- showing that there's a growing realization that the party of divisiveness is failing our cities including Detroit.)
    Best laugh of the day! If there’s anyone who doesn’t “embrace everyone”, it’s the racist who will soon be dragged from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

US election 2020: Why Trump gained support among minorities

For clarification, black voters voted in higher percentages for Biden than other ethnic or racial groups. However, what I think you are trying to say is that "the group that saw the biggest increase in support for Trump compared with 2016...was black men." Black men increased their support for Trump from something like 13% to 19% [[see chart in linked article). That's something like a 46% increase in four years. Black women, who voted 90% for Biden also increased their support of Trump from something like 5% to 10%. That's a 100% increase; a breakout. Other non-white groups similarly increased their support of Trump. Biden, however, scored a significant increase in support from white suburbanites as the parties reverse their polarity - at least under Trump.

I question the believability of large late night Detroit vote drops that were 99% for Biden even if candidate Biden advised us that "You ain't black if you vote for Trump".

^^^ How's about that!

Actually, it was a plus, and fortuitous that Joe Biden publicly showed/ played his hand-of-condescension.

Revealing more than he intended.

Or ability to control [[how people responded).

There was a great deal of discussion about that interview here in local Detroit media, etc.!

Sorta back-fired as staid parroting of identity politics both sides play!

Biden's assumptive "You ain't black..." response, and other other attempts to again 'handle' and manage the black politic [[as it swept the media) reminded more than a few black people of just that!

Even where we did not vote for Trump his comment thankfully increases the watch upon this admin and the dems in general.

Against the tired playbook were we're TOLD to NEVER question the dem party, and focus laser-beam ONLY upon on what the republicans do!

NOPE. We're coming out that box - looking both ways ala the road of politics.

Thank you president Biden.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-25-20 at 11:43 AM.

Getting back on track specific to gentrification, I found this pretty engaging article the freep ran in 2019...

The article cites [[then) census tracts and percentage of actual activities.

Further, the COVID has stalled out some...

Study reveals surprising results about Detroit gentrification
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-25-20 at 11:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast