Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Prohibition on Mack Ave.

My Grand parents owned a busines located at 13333 Mack Avenue during and after prohibition. I guess it was referred to as a soft drink shop. In later days, when it was a legal bar it was known for its turtle soup. My mother had commented that she had to maneuver around them when she went to the basement.
    If anyone has any photographs of the 13 hundred block of Mack Avenue showing any structures athe the 13333 location it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by rwtheiner; November-17-20 at 10:37 AM.

Is it the 13 hundred or 13 thousand block of Mack?

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Is it the 13 hundred or 13 thousand block of Mack?
    Google Maps identifies this building as 13333 Mack. I thought it was a service station but now that I look closer, it does look like a bar.

Name:  20201116_172816.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  20201116_170615.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  200.1 KB

MikeM comes through again!!

Thousand, sorry

Thanks. Along with this location they had a speakeasy in Port Huron.
    I was told they were instrumental in getting Verden Funeral Home started.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Google Maps identifies this building as 13333 Mack. I thought it was a service station but now that I look closer, it does look like a bar.

Name:  20201116_172816.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  20201116_170615.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  200.1 KB
    That place was Don Cherry’s real estate office for decades before he retired. It was a service station before that.

Verden or Verheyden Funeral Home? I'm assuming the latter.
    From Verheyden's website:
    Founded in 1908 by Charles Verheyden, the firm was set up in a home on Field Avenue in Detroit, which mostly served as an office and a place to keep equipment. In those days, almost all funerals were held in the home of the deceased.This arrangement lasted only a couple of years, because during Mr. Verheyden’s apprenticeship, which he served at the prominent Frank E. Campbell Funeral Parlor in New York City, he could see customs changing.
    In 1910, he built one of the first funeral homes in Detroit at 7330 Mack Avenue, near East Grand Boulevard. This building served the firm for 30 years. In 1941, ground was again broken, this time the firm was moving to the present Grosse Pointe location, again due to Mr. Verheyden’s foresight to recognize the trends and needs of his clients.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwtheiner View Post
    Thanks. Along with this location they had a speakeasy in Port Huron.
    I was told they were instrumental in getting Verden Funeral Home started.
    Last edited by jcole; November-17-20 at 08:14 AM.

Spell check made the change.
    My grand father married CharVerhydens sister. My father and his sister didn't much care for their step mother.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    That place was Don Cherry’s real estate office for decades before he retired. It was a service station before that.
    This Don Cherry????

Name:  UNVOSW6G7RC2VPMDHH2MFGOQKU.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  92.2 KB

I took Google Map around the corner and found the address of this building to be 13345 i think 13333 is located between the churches.
    please excuse my typing errors, i will be having eye surgeries this month and next.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    This Don Cherry????

Name:  UNVOSW6G7RC2VPMDHH2MFGOQKU.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  92.2 KB
    No, the Don Cherry I'm referring to was a long time East Side real estate investor, not that hockey commentator. He sold that building to a church when he retired in the late 1990's.

I was in that building many times.

I took Google Map around the corner and found the address of this building to be 13345 i think 13333 is located between the churches.
    please excuse my typing errors, i will be having eye surgeries this month and next.
    Exactly one year ago today I had cornea replacement surgery in both eyes. The surgery went very well. There was zero pain and I never had to take pain medication. Not even an aspirin. At age 72 for the first time in my life I have near perfect vision... PS..my only regret is that my own fear prevented me from having the surgery years ago. All the best with your surgery.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; November-17-20 at 03:15 PM.

Thank you. Having Cataract and a glaucoma procedure on both eyes. A mis diagnosis 3 years ago.

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery on your surgeries. We'll keep an eye out for your return.

Thank you. Having Cataract and a glaucoma procedure on both eyes. A mis diagnosis 3 years ago.
    I had cataract surgery too. You'll be very glad you had it done.

Thanks to all for the good wishes.