Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default TCF Center To Serve as a Winter Homeless Shelter + a mural story

It's been a bizarre year for the TCF Center [fka Cobo Hall] beginning with the cancellation of the Auto Show and so many other events, to its conversion as an army field hospital to accommodate Covid19 overflow, and now to serve as a shelter for our homeless, many likely from loss of job and home due to the pandemic. In my eyes the repurposed convention hall has risen in stature to the status of our ark in a flood of calamities.

On March 4, just before our world came to a screeching halt, I completed a mural commission at TCF Center. In my mind I had envisioned it as something to brighten visitor's wait in the formerly drab elevator lobby, cheerfully en route to their events, as were those who passed by while I was painting it on their way to AutoRama and the last event before shutdown, the Nation of Islam convention. Little could I know that its first audience would be those heroes en route to serve the field hospital and now to aid our homeless, but I hope "Inbound/Outbound Detroit" makes those brave servants' days a bit brighter.

The full story of the mural can be read and seen here.

Thanks, Lowell, for sharing your mural story with us again. It's on my list of sites to visit when we can be safely out and about. I have enjoyed just walking through the TCF Center on several occasions just to see all of the art within as well as the river views from the upper floors. Cheers!

Great ideal to shelter the homeless in Detroit.