Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default $25 Million Arts Center Coming to Grosse Pointe Park-Detroit border

The Schaap and Manoogian families are leading the way on a state of the art performing and visual arts center at Jefferson and Alter. This facility will have a 400+ seat auditorium and a gallery. Both spaces will feature local artists and have the capacity to host regional and national events.

For all the issues this area has faced with walls built to divide these two communities, this could be a big boom in the movement to unite the two. This will be a bigt benefit to the new restaurants in Jefferson-Chalmers and the Southernmost neighborhoods of GP Park.

As an Eastsider, I'm really looking forward to this building going up. It is planned to open in 2022.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  29.9 KB
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  22.7 KB

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/arts-c...detroit-border
    Last edited by DetroitSoldier; November-16-20 at 05:34 AM.

Oh! a peace offering from Richville from the big mistake on Alter Rd. and Kercheval St.

Is this going to be at the northeast corner of the intersection?

If it's on Alter than it's gotta be within Detroit right?

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    If it's on Alter than it's gotta be within Detroit right?
    From the rendering it looks like a church in the background so I’d say it’ll be on the corner of E Jeff and Maryland

According to the Crain's article, the Schaaps bought the land at E. Jefferson and Maryland [[in Grosse Pointe Park) back in 2012 to make sure land was available for this project when ready to move forward with it. With all that is happening in the Jefferson-Chalmers area as well as on Kercheval east of Alter Rd, this could be a real boon to the area to generate further development!

Some of the GPP residents are fighting this development.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Some of the GPP residents are fighting this development.
    I wonder why.

This is the kind of quality development that goes beyond restaurants and retail and brings culture into residential areas. For all the neighborhood theaters lost on the East side over several decades, and small ones like the Alger Theater in my neighborhood that are living on hopes and prayers, this should be something that people on both sides of the boarder get excited about.

Sure it is technically a GPP address. Sure the money came from wealthy suburbanites. But the stated goal of the benefactors is to promote performing and visual arts on both sides of the boarder. I know there are all kinds of groups in the city looking for a quality facility like this. Let's give it a shot.

I wonder why.
    1. Not enough transparency in the decision making process.
    2. Annual operational shortfall.
    3. Parking shortage.
    4. Inclusion of former garage in City of Detroit that was allegedly acquired under questionable circumstances.

Take your pick. This has been covered aud nauseum in the GP News.

3. Parking shortage.
    4. Inclusion of former garage in City of Detroit that was allegedly acquired under questionable circumstances.

I know nothing about the details of this project but this is the internet so what the heck:
    Many structures have been donated only to have the operations turned over to the community. If the ongoing operations are to be funded by a small community like GPP alone that could be a big issue. Often these arts & cultural buildings are not large enough to generate commercial revenue to help offset the main purpose of the project.

3. Parking shortage.

You have a link to the news story?

I tried to search the GP News but the content is available only to subscribers.

I did wonder about the parking. But surely the events at this venue would bring people in from GP but also from much further away than the east side of Detroit. In normal times, I travel all over the tri-county area to see community theatre productions, lectures, concerts, and more.