Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Kilpatrick release 17 yrs early

I'll just put this here for now
    https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...-prison-report

"Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick will be released from federal prison, according to reports — most likely due to the pandemic.

"According to a Friday news release from the Ebony Foundation, Kilpatrick has been granted early release after serving only seven years of his lengthy sentence.

"Kilpatrick was sentenced to 28 years behind bars, convicted in 2013 on 24 felony counts of public corruption for a criminal racket involving extortion, bribery, conspiracy and fraud. Prosecutors said he used his positions as a state representative and then mayor to enrich himself and his friends.

"He was not expected to be paroled until 2037.

Don't know if it corroborated yet but saying it's possibly due to Covid pandemic
    Last edited by jcole; May-22-20 at 08:58 AM.

U hope that it's true

are you mad at him, or are you scared of him?" the sheriff said.

I guess that is one way to justify things,his incarceration is a result of people being scared of him or mad at him,because he has done nothing wrong and it is the people’s fault he is in jail.

The article comes across like it is a done deal,then says the letter was delivered to Trump without saying it was actually approved.

He must have some pretty dark secrets on some,or doing what he did is just considered okay,no big deal and he should be viewed as a hero.

It reminds me of Italy where they just had a huge mafia round up,then released the heads of the mafia from prison that were serving life sentences,for their safety from the rona virus.

Its the city and its 700,000 residents that suffered and paid the price for his actions and continue to do so,he gets a well supported slap in the wrist and everybody else gets a slap in the face like it is no big deal.
    Last edited by Richard; May-22-20 at 09:35 AM.

A lot of people have done worse and gotten less time. I don't approve of what he did, but he's done more time than a lot of similar white collar criminals and no sense in keeping him in a prison with covid in it

I hope Kilpatrick releases the 90 million he stole early, because of the effect the coronavirus had on Detroit.

Can somebody explain how this happens? Who is making this decision? I heard something that he'll still be on house arrest, are we sure this isn't temporary because of covid?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    A lot of people have done worse and gotten less time. I don't approve of what he did, but he's done more time than a lot of similar white collar criminals and no sense in keeping him in a prison with covid in it
    It was not about what he did,it was about the amount of victims he left in the wake and the long term damage he created.

It is one thing to be corrupt while the city is in good shape,the spoils of politics,the reason he received the higher sentence was because of the amount of victims and damage left in the wake.

There is not a lot of info yet; just the one press release from the Ebony Foundation
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Can somebody explain how this happens? Who is making this decision? I heard something that he'll still be on house arrest, are we sure this isn't temporary because of covid?

9. Default

His sentence might have been a little stiff, but only a very little. IMO the biggest crime he committed, which is not a crime on the books, is destruction of faith in government. What he and his evil sister Bobby Ferguson did was so corrosive. One of the members of this forum who were in on the Vinton Building rehab in the early oughts attempt told me they helped sink that. Such behavior encourages things like tax evasion, scoff-lawing and "if they're getting away with it why shouldn't I" attitudes.

Worst yet they were stealing from an impoverished citizenry. Theft is theft in the eyes of the law but, again, there is not further law for stealing from the poor.

His guilt was well established and he had an opportunity enter a plea and admit his guilt. Instead he chose to run a circus trial and has yet, as far as I seen, to express any remorse for his crimes.

I'm only saying that I'm not surprised he was released early, especially if it's based on people dying of Covid in the prison he was/is in. A number of white collar criminals are already released, ie Michael Cohen, Paul Manafort. Kwame was only a matter of time. Let me say here, that I don't approve of what he did and in another time in history, I would be livid that he's getting out but these are not normal times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    His sentence might have been a little stiff, but only a very little. IMO the biggest crime he committed, which is not a crime on the books, is destruction of faith in government. What he and his evil sister Bobby Ferguson did was so corrosive. One of the member of this forum who were in on the Vinton Building rehab in the early oughts attempt told me they helped sink that. Such behavior encourages things like tax evasion, scoff-lawing and "if they're getting away with it why shouldn't I" attitudes.

Worst yet they were stealing from an impoverished citizenry. Theft is theft in the eyes of the law but, again, there is not further law for stealing from the poor.

His guilt was well established and he had an opportunity enter a plea and admit his guilt. Instead he chose to run a circus trial and has yet, as far as I seen, to express any remorse for his crimes.

Can somebody explain how this happens? Who is making this decision?....
    I'm sure a judge has to be involved.

Agreed. Have him serve 15 years for the serious crimes and syndicate he ran.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    His sentence might have been a little stiff, but only a very little. IMO the biggest crime he committed, which is not a crime on the books, is destruction of faith in government. What he and his evil sister Bobby Ferguson did was so corrosive. One of the member of this forum who were in on the Vinton Building rehab in the early oughts attempt told me they helped sink that. Such behavior encourages things like tax evasion, scoff-lawing and "if they're getting away with it why shouldn't I" attitudes.

It's one foundation saying that they got him released. The Ebony Foundation. There would have to be at least a judge involved
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I'm sure a judge has to be involved.

Everything Lowell said. Hoping he doesn't land back in Detroit. Go elsewhere.

There is not a lot of info yet; just the one press release from the Ebony Foundation
    Last I heard it hasn't been confirmed but I expect it will be.

They have had COVID at that Oakdale Federal Prison near New Orleans. Eight have died.

Oakdale federal prison resumes and expands COVID-19 testing

The federal prison in Oakdale, Louisiana, where eight prisoners have died of coronavirus, began offering “voluntary universal testing” to prisoners in one of its two main prison facilities last week. Previously, the prison said that it had stopped testing prisoners for the coronavirus — even those showing symptoms — due to “sustained transmission.”
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-22-20 at 10:13 AM.

16. Default

I'm only saying that I'm not surprised he was released early, especially if it's based on people dying of Covid in the prison he was/is in. A number of white collar criminals are already released, ie Michael Cohen, Paul Manafort. Kwame was only a matter of time. Let me say here, that I don't approve of what he did and in another time in history, I would be livid that he's getting out but these are not normal times
    Understood and I could see him being released on tether until Covid19 is contained, especially with the abysmal record of prisons in preventing the spread of the virus, but I still think he owes society more time.

For comparison, renowned Detroit art dealer Sherry Washington served nearly six years for bilking $3.3 million from the Detroit Public Schools through a sham wellness program, a scheme that pales in comparison to Kilpatrick and Ferguson's predations, many including threats of physical violence. Give him a vacation, not a release.

I know we're still waiting on details, but not a surprise. I said this:

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    After yesterday, I think it's almost a given that Kwame will have his sentence commuted. It's not an if, it's when. It could happen this week to give the country a bit more gaslighting ahead of the Roger Stone sentencing. It could happen later this year after the Democratic nominee is chosen, perhaps during the Democratic National Convention.
    In this thread: https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...atrick-Pardon/

Granted, this was a few weeks before the COVID-19 situation was unknown at the time. But if this does indeed happen, I think it will be in the form of a commuted sentence from Trump.

I also think Kilpatrick's sentence was excessive.

If this is true, then it is truly appalling! If the supposed early release is Covid19 related then it should be a temporary home confinement and immediately followed by him going back when the outbreak has cleared.

Lots of wide open space in Detroit for Kwame to restart his life. Maybe, Gabe Leland, Bob Ficano and Turkia Mullin can all regroup say at Dexter/Linwood.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

I also think Kilpatrick's sentence was excessive.
    He murdered a girl and operated a crime ring... How is his sentence in any way excessive? Congrats you must be so happy, it was obviously a desire of yours rather than a prediction.

Regardless if most people believe that he had something to so with Strawberry's death, that is not what he was convicted of, so his sentence has nothing to do with that. It may hav been on the jury's mind, but he wasn't charged or convicted of murder.
    He murdered a girl and operated a crime ring... How is his sentence in any way excessive? Congrats you must be so happy, it was obviously a desire of yours rather than a prediction.

From ML on twitter:

Unless you are former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, please don't call to say "former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is being released from prison." I've spent all morning digging into this. It has all the makings of a hoax.

https://twitter.com/elrick/status/1263835995641974784?s=20

@Charlieleduff

Replying to @elrick
    yeah, I got nothing either. standby.

https://twitter.com/Charlieleduff/st...44023250419713

I have a feeling that it is COVID-19 related home arrest and is being misreported.
    Last edited by leland_palmer; May-22-20 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post

I have a feeling that it is COVID-19 related home arrest and is being misreported.
    This is what it seems like to me, you cant just decide to release somebody 17 years early from federal prison without a pardon. A publicity stunt for that group perhaps.

Regardless if most people believe that he had something to so with Strawberry's death, that is not what he was convicted of, so his sentence has nothing to do with that. It may hav been on the jury's mind, but he wasn't charged or convicted of murder.
    Even without that he still deserves to rot forever and be eaten by rats, I'm so sick of Kwame sympathizers. Kwame does not deserve less punishment, every corrupted official should be sentenced just as well as he was.

I'm not a sympathiser; I'm just saying you can't sentence someone for a crime they weren't convicted of no matter how much you'd like to.
    Even without that he still deserves to rot forever and be eaten by rats, I'm so sick of Kwame sympathizers. Kwame does not deserve less punishment, every corrupted official should be sentenced just as well as he was.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast