Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A La Nina Winter is coming!

Sorry folks there will be some grim news. La Nina has returned to cool down South Pacific Oceanic Temperatures. What does that mean for the Great Lakes. More snow and bitter cold days for the next 5 months.

NOVEMBER:

We will a brief warm temps until November 10. Then temps will cool down the mid to upper 40s. We will get some rain and brief snow showers. By the late November a brief cool weather follow by a winter weather advisory. With temps in the upper 30s.

DECEMBER:

A quick sub freezing temps from the upper 40s until the mid part of the week. Then comes a Winter Storm Watch and plummet temps by Christmas. There be a 40 percent chance for a White Christmas. Later another Arctic Blast will plummet temps into the teens before New Years. There will more stackable snow after Christmas.

JANUARY:

There will be more rides of Arctic Blasts with temps from mid 20s to teens. follow by a one week thaw. Then a Polar Vortex will dip into the Canadian Shield area. Dangerous Cold Temps into below 10 degrees with wind chills into 15 degrees maybe more. More snow and winter storms and a possibly blizzard warning up to foot and a half of snow on some parts of Metro-Detroit area by late January!

FEBRUARY:

Polar Vortex will leave the Canadian Shield Area and temps will rise to upper 20s near 30s with a small batch of rain. Then dip back to the upper teens. A winter storm warning may occur and fewer show showers every 4 to 5 days a week.

MARCH.

Cold temps in the 20s are the early part of March and will rise to the upper 40s with more rain-snow showers weekly. Then get a late Spring preview with temps in the low 50s.

Get ready for gloomy winter during a C.O.V.I.D.-19 Pandemic.

This is our punishment from God! He will make us stay home and hibernate.
    Last edited by Danny; October-30-20 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Get ready for gloomy winter during a C.O.V.I.D.-19 Pandemic.

This is our punishment from God! He will make us stay home and hibernate.
    And folks back east still wonder what I saw in moving to Las Vegas when I retired in 1984.

Well we had an El Nino winter last year... and if people remember... it didn't start warming up until June...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well we had an El Nino winter last year... and if people remember... it didn't start warming up until June...
    No, we have a neutral winter last year.

Last winter was fairly mild, wasn't it? I don't remember any all-day shoveling marathons.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No, we have a neutral winter last year.
    Not according to this... we had a weak El-Nino in 2019-20....

https://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

I don't remember anything that happened from March to July because I didn't leave the house. It could have been below zero everyday and I wouldn't have noticed

Quote Originally Posted by rickbak View Post
    Last winter was fairly mild, wasn't it? I don't remember any all-day shoveling marathons.
    Last December had a stretch of 8 or 10 really mild days.

The weather was pretty average from March to June of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The weather was pretty average from March to June of this year.
    Were you even living in Michigan this spring? We couldn't plant annuals until June because although we didn't have a super cold or snowy winter, our May still had cool days and nights with frost. Usually we can get some weather into the 80s in May, we didn't get that at all in 2020.

Governor Whitmer's ban on Nurseries being closed until almost June didn't affect home gardeners much, because it was too cold to plant annual flowers until June.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-01-20 at 05:22 PM.

As I recall it snowed sunday night May 17, a week before labor day. It was late but they were big fluffy snow flakes and I was taking my walk with my hands out laughing and saying WTF!?!?!?

It didn't snow very much until January, and it was in the mid-thirties well into April.

That's right! Our spring had a VERY sluggish start no doubt. I love warm weather and found it a drag that the cold drug on so long. And it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ...We couldn't plant annuals until June because although we didn't have a super cold or snowy winter, our May still had cool days and nights with frost. Usually we can get some weather into the 80s in May, we didn't get that at all in 2020....

I did not go out much as my job went online, but had surgery requiring therapeutic activity so was walking my neighborhood late March, early April to not forfeited the surgery investment.

I certainly recall the coolness dragging on and on as I walked, and noted the delay in the tree blooms, etc. And I was still USING my furnace at a high level. That most certainly got my attention!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I don't remember anything that happened from March to July because I didn't leave the house. It could have been below zero everyday and I wouldn't have noticed
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-01-20 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That's right! Our spring had a VERY sluggish start no doubt. I love warm weather and found it a drag that the cold drug on so long. And it did.
    During my quarantine time in May I was riding my bike around the block 6 times every night [[I have a big block)... and I was frustrated that the temperature was often in the upper 30s or low 40s at night this May!

May climatic data

51 extra heating degree days and 9 extra cooling degree days.
    It snowed a half inch on May 10th, and a trace on the two days before and after.
    It was 80º May 2nd followed by a record low of 27º on May 9th, and then a record high of 87º was tied on May 24th.

It's neutral with a sprinkle of El Nino.

Late March was warmer than normal, then it cooled off for April and May. I remember because my wife and I took lots of walks around the neighborhood when the quarantine first started in mid-March, and it was beautiful for those first several weeks. Then, just as we got used to it, the chilly temperatures came back and stuck with us until late May.

The main thing I remember from last winter was the hideous Veteran's Day snow storm.

NOVEMBER: Results...

We will be a brief warm temps until November 10. Then temps will cool down the mid to upper 40s. We will get some rain and brief snow showers. By the late November a brief cool weather follow by a winter weather advisory. With temps in the upper 30s.

I was right!!
    Last edited by Danny; November-23-20 at 08:29 AM.

Well not totally... we actually had Indian Summer in November of this year... instead of the usual October Indian Summer.

I say a brief warm up in November!
    Last edited by Danny; November-23-20 at 08:29 AM.

DECEMBER:

A quick sub freezing temps from the upper 40s until the mid part of the week. Then comes a Winter Storm Watch and plummet temps by Christmas. There be a 40 percent chance for a White Christmas. Later another Arctic Blast will plummet temps into the teens before New Years. There will more stackable snow after Christmas.

I was right.

I'm still waiting for that ice age I was promised.

JANUARY:

There will be more rides of Arctic Blasts with temps from mid 20s to teens. follow by a one week thaw. Then a Polar Vortex will dip into the Canadian Shield area. Dangerous Cold Temps into below 10 degrees with wind chills into 15 degrees maybe more. More snow and winter storms and a possibly blizzard warning up to foot and a half of snow on some parts of Metro-Detroit area by late January!

RESULT:

There was a thaw, The Polar Vortex did made a small dip in the Canadian Shield area and there were bone chilling temperatures to 15 to 10 degrees and some half a foot of snow and in the western parts of Michigan.

I was right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast