Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Not your grandfather's Brush Park

It looks like a whole new beast and denser than I think it has ever been.

Name:  _DSC9611.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  93.2 KBName:  _DSC9632.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  85.3 KBName:  _DSC9639.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  82.1 KBName:  _DSC9661.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  77.6 KBName:  _DSC9663.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  76.3 KBName:  _DSC9672.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  90.1 KBName:  _DSC9687.jpg
Views: 2159
Size:  71.9 KBName:  _DSC9747.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  84.8 KB

Thanks for taking the time to compose this photo montage.

I lament so many of the old, ornate gilded-age mansions in this district were neglected and eventually demolished. However, we have to move on and embrace the exciting redevelopment, transformation, and densification of Brush Park. Even though Dan Gilbert's project is the head-liner, Brush Park is seeing a host of different developers building all different types of multi-unit housing from I-75 all the way to Mack.

This is what a city is supposed to look like!!

I would love to see the old Brewster-Wheeler Recreation Building restored back to its original purpose. A nice recreation/community center with outdoor tennis courts, basketball courts, etc would be a great addition to this neighborhood. Maybe the Ralph C. Wilson, or other local foundation can be approached, as well as the Crain's family who owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    This is what a city is supposed to look like!!
    Definitely getting some big city neighborhood vibes from some of these photos. Once the trees grow a little and the landscaping is completed, this area will look amazing. It will be interesting to see what kind of street-level activity will be going on in such a dense residential area once everything is finished.

And just city modern alone is still not finished yet, two large apartment buildings not pictured are under construction and an entire side of Edmund street will be developed into row homes and flats.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; October-29-20 at 04:26 PM.

Now that's some gentrification.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Now that's some gentrification.
    Good.

Good Lord! Some of those newer buildings are just downright fugly!

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Yeah... some of them do have a sort of "bunkeresque" charm to them...

Soon, if not already, will be hard to get on Alfred <$1M

I really love the architecture with most of the new Brush Park projects, but the townhomes in your third photo are just very, very ugly. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I really love the architecture with most of the new Brush Park projects, but the townhomes in your third photo are just very, very ugly. Ugh.
    I have to kind of agree. It does give off that 60's post modern blah...but its dense at least

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Good.
    Considering nobody lived there before this project it isn't even gentrification. It's just development.

Greed, favors, and greased palms had destroyed the old Brush Park.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Greed, favors, and greased palms had destroyed the old Brush Park.
    WRONG.... I drove down those streets during the CAY years when there were many more old houses still standing. The CAY administration spent a lot of money to improve the neighborhood, by improving the streets and streetscape of Brush Park, but you couldn't give those houses away in the 1980s...

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    No only communism produces terrible architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No only communism produces terrible architecture.
    Everybody who lives in a suburb in this country has already known that for 50 years lol.

I would like to see more single family brick home developments than 1960's style multi-units, but progress is progress I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    I would like to see more single family brick home developments than 1960's style multi-units, but progress is progress I guess.
    Midtown as a rule is not a single family home area any more... it's higher density. Even the large historic homes are generally subdivided. Land values now in Midtown are such that higher density living is the only option that will be available in the future.

Maybe away from downtown more, but not in Midtown or Brush Park.

You want to turn one of our most urban neighborhoods into Troy?

There are single family homes being built in Midtown just at the very far borders of it like here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3469923,-83.0679039,3a,75y,20.08h,91.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgXF3XaBaDcqr3q3q8zD0Ng!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192

These eco homes are finished now.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; November-07-20 at 05:01 PM.

Just a few things about terms being used. The townhomes and carriage homes in City Modern are single-family homes. A single family home is simply a unit without a shared entrance. These just happen to be attached single-family homes.

They're rowhomes basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    WRONG.... I drove down those streets during the CAY years when there were many more old houses still standing. The CAY administration spent a lot of money to improve the neighborhood, by improving the streets and streetscape of Brush Park, but you couldn't give those houses away in the 1980s...
    Wrong again! in the 1980's the city decided to sell the houses it owned thinking nobody would purchase them. The day of the sale I observed the supposed sale. There was a line a couple blocks long waiting at the designated place. Nobody showed up from the city. I believe the city saw the that their fake sale was going to backfire, and drove right by. Dozens of houses that have been razed since then could have been saved.

I gave a talk on the architectural history of Brush Park a couple years ago. My final comment was look around the area, the existing structures are about to be overwhelmed by the new construction. That comment is proving to be true. I am very disappointed with the designer, the designs should have been more sympathetic to the existing structures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast