Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tree Cutting Tree Trimming Services

My bro has a backyard tree that needs cutting down. He said he was quoted $5000 to cut the tree. I said, no way. Does it cost $5000 to cut down a tree.

Second question - there's a willow tree hanging next to his property and I tried to look up land rights. I can't find a landowner so I assume it's the city. If it's the city property, shouldn't the city cut it down if it's blocking the sidewalk?
    [[Hope you can see the attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

$5000 could be right depending on the tree, its condition, and its location. Do you have a photo of the tree in question? The willow should not be $5000 to remove and certainly much less to trim.

Call Singing Tree in Detroit. If they can't do it, they'll steer you in the right direction.
    Last edited by MikeM; October-28-20 at 02:09 PM.

Default This is another tree in front of the house

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    $5000 could be right depending on the tree, its condition, and its location. Do you have a photo of the tree in question? The willow should not be $5000 to remove and certainly much less to trim.

Call Singing Tree in Detroit. If they can't do it, they'll steer you in the right direction.
    This is a tree in front of the house. But there's one in back he wants cut because it's right up against the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I can't tell you how much it costs to cut down a tree in Detroit, but I suggest that willow just needs a trim and you wouldn't need a professional for that. It's the property owner's responsibility to take care of it, but if no one lives there you'd be doing the neighborhood a service to get a lopper, a ladder, and maybe someone to hold it, and do it yourself. It doesn't look like there are any thick limbs interfering with the sidewalk, just some droopy willow branches, and they'd be easy to cut.

Besides, that tree is pretty and it will only get more beautiful as it grows.

I agree. Home Depot sells these tree pruning sticks for around $40. One end is a saw, the other a snipper. I've used one before and it works great. Get one of those, some paper lawn and leaf bags, and a 12 pack, and you guys should be all set. Get 24 and maybe the neighbors will help!

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors...s/N-5yc1vZc5rj

Wow, that thing is tiny. If the one in back is the same size, you should be able to get removed for less than a thousand, unless maybe it's got wires running through it or the pieces have to be carried out of the yard through a gate.