Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who Remembers Benjamin's Warehouse?

I'm hoping someone here on the forum can help me. I have a vague memory of an old trinket store called Benjamin's Warehouse. I really can't even recall where it was located. My parents would have dinner parties in the '70's, and my mom would drive to this small store to buy gifts for their guests. I remember it being very old inside, and the outside had a long wooden porch across the entire length of the front of the building. I don't even think the parking lot was paved. It almost reminded me of a Kresge's or Woolworth's, but this was an independent business, on a much much smaller scale. The last time I remember visiting Benjamin's was late '77 or early '78. I'd enjoy hearing from anyone who was familiar with this establishment. Thank you.
    Last edited by byromania; October-26-20 at 10:58 PM.

Where did you live then? In the city; in the 'burbs, out of the Tri county area?
    Quote Originally Posted by byromania View Post
    I'm hoping someone here on the forum can help me. I have a vague memory of an old trinket store called Benjamin's Warehouse. I really can't even recall where it was located. My parents would have dinner parties in the '70's, and my mom would drive to this small store to buy gifts for their guests. I remember it being very old inside, and the outside had a long wooden porch across the entire length of the front of the building. I don't even think the parking lot was paved. It almost reminded me of a Kresge's or Woolworth's, but this was an independent business, on a much much smaller scale. The last time I remember visiting Benjamin's was late '77 or early '78. I'd enjoy hearing from anyone who was familiar with this establishment. Thank you.

At that time, we lived on Prevost, near Pembrooke. The closest main streets were Greenfield and 8 Mile Rd. Benjamin's was not in our area though. I want to say that it was in Redford, but I can't be sure.

Maybe it was a Ben Franklin's five and dime and your folks just called it Benjamin's Warehouse? Just a thought

Well, Benjamin's Appliance and Furniture Warehouse actually was a going concern in the 1940s and '50s. At its postwar peak it had three stores: one at 11024 Grand River near Plymouth and Oakman; another at 21425 Woodward, two blocks south of 8 Mile; and its main branch at 15210 Livernois, a half-block south of Fenkell.

The shop on Livernois was in the middle of the once-bustling Fenkell-Livernois shopping area. The owner was Sam Goldberg. Seems that his businesses were regularly fending off inquiries by arson inspectors and the state attorney general.

Anyway, Benjamin's Warehouse closed its doors around 1958 and the Livernois store later became the Standard Rug Co. and then Dobbs Clothing Store. Meanwhile, Goldberg owned a succession of other cut-rate furniture stores at least through 1980, when his Gratiot Furniture Mart on Gratiot at Brewster burned down. It's possible he operated another smaller, downsized Benjamin's store that was stocked more like a five-and-dime---the one you hazily remember---or somebody borrowed the name when they opened their own little business. Or maybe your parents just called it Benjamin's out of habit.

Oh well. Hope this helps.

Yep, Benjamin's Appliance and Furniture Store...Location #1

15210 Livernois

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4022...7i16384!8i8192

11024 Grand River and Oakman Blvd....#2

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3739...7i16384!8i8192

21425 Woodward Ferndale...#3

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4494...7i16384!8i8192
    Last edited by Danny; October-29-20 at 06:42 AM.

Thank you very much for the responses. I greatly appreciate your efforts.