Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Windsor Canada Club In the 1970s

Does anyone remember the name of the dance club that people would go to back in the late 70s in Windsor CA? We would go after clubs in Detroit closed at 2am because this club closed at 4am. Thanks.

Can you provide more hints--that was a while ago--like was it downtown Windsor?

Windsor, with its 19 year-old drinking age, was famous for its "kiddie bars" that young Americans flocked until the border restrictions brought on by 9/11 killed them off. Up until then early morning hours traffic jams on the bridge and in the tunnel were common.

Would need more info- there was a dance club in the basement of the Bali Hi- windsor bars closed at 1am in the seventies- we would head over to Detroit after to raise a little hell

I drank legally for 8 months, and then lost that right for more than 2 years [[ and I'm still bitter at old people about no provisions to be grandfathered in). It was basically people my age that started the weekend parade to Canada for that reason in 1979....our own little prohibition era. We would ditch a couple joints in the warehouse district, and pick it up to smoke on the return trip. Lol, it was a blast ! The border was so lax back then, they'd only ask citizenship and where are you going. "The Bar" was all you had to say. Seem to remember Danny's Canadian Club [[before the strip joint ?). There was a rock bar that featured a Who cover band from Toronto, all the way down to the lead guitarist's Townsend nose and wind-milling, but I can't remember the name. I was a rocker with a D.R.E.A.D. card....no dancing for me !

Looking back, I'm convinced there were American bars that were given permission on the sly to serve 3.2 beer to those 18-21 during that era. "My Place" & "Struttin Club" on the East-side as an example. On quarter beer night you could drink 30 glasses and get nothing but a headache.