Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Unheralded Seven Layer Parking Lot Rises on Mack in Med Center

I was surprised to see this massive parking lot, that seemingly popped up like an overnight mushroom, on Eliot just east of Woodward, which I shot while at the stop light. While the Hudson site, TCF project, Brush Park developments get all the glitter these structure are quietly unsung.

There seems to be some effort to add some minimal aesthetics to the exterior, maybe a continuation of the bluish cladding on the Mack side, a rather feeble attempt to my picky eye. However, the one thing I like about such parking lots are the photo vantage points they offer. This one should provide excellent views of the skyline with a Brush Park foreground.

Anything to add to this? I assume it was made to accommodate the planned hotel on the empty corner lot next to the Bonstelle/former Temple Beth El, seen to the right, but seems far bigger than necessary for that project. "If they build a parking lot they will come?"

Name:  Parking-Structure-Mack.jpg
Views: 4409
Size:  107.2 KB

I did a double take on this one too not knowing where it came from but knew it was not there before

If it's behind the Bonstelle wouldn't it be on Eliot, east of Woodward?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    If it's behind the Bonstelle wouldn't it be on Eliot, east of Woodward?
    Thanks. That has been corrected above. I must have shot that on the move rather than at the Mack light.

That garage as well as a future one north of it are part of the Soma plan for the site. The other sides of the garage are more appealing and retail, art, green space are part of the plan as well.

This garage and the one that will be built to the north have also been designed be able to add something like 7 floors of apartments in the future.

Also part of the SoMA project are the renovation of two former Red Cross buildings, a 16 story City Club Apartments tower, the AC Hotel, renovation of the Bonstelle and a new office building.

That parking garage is great. Now the developers need to add two more buildings on the corner of Mack and Woodward Ave.

As stated above, this is part of the SOMA [[SOuth of MAck) project, which will also hopefully include the long-rumored City Target.

Another aspect of this project is to extend Eliot street between Woodward and John R. Previously Eliot was deadended mid-way through the block, now I believe your photo shows the street being extended through to John R.

I have never heard of the SoMA project. No mention of apartments here.

http://somamidtowndetroit.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I have never heard of the SoMA project. No mention of apartments here.

http://somamidtowndetroit.com/gallery/
    Here’s info on the City Club Apartments. They’ll be located on the northeast corner of Woodward and Eliot. https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...wn-whole-foods

I was surprised to see this massive parking lot, that seemingly popped up like an overnight mushroom, on Eliot just east of Woodward, which I shot while at the stop light. While the Hudson site, TCF project, Brush Park developments get all the glitter these structure are quietly unsung.

There seems to be some effort to add some minimal aesthetics to the exterior, maybe a continuation of the bluish cladding on the Mack side, a rather feeble attempt to my picky eye. However, the one thing I like about such parking lots are the photo vantage points they offer. This one should provide excellent views of the skyline with a Brush Park foreground.

Anything to add to this? I assume it was made to accommodate the planned hotel on the empty corner lot next to the Bonstelle/former Temple Beth El, seen to the right, but seems far bigger than necessary for that project. "If they build a parking lot they will come?"

Name:  Parking-Structure-Mack.jpg
Views: 4409
Size:  107.2 KB
    finaly
    this block really needs some good new parking lot