Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Original Hudson's elevator brought back to life

Hopefully he didn’t get the elevator that I puked in back in 1954 when I was 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Hopefully he didn’t get the elevator that I puked in back in 1954 when I was 5 years old.
    oops

This is gorgeous. The builder gets triple points if he somehow replicated the DC-powered controls that required the operator to anticipate the inertia in the car to bring it to a stop at exactly the right place. The operators were highly skilled. I tried to run one once and bobbed up and down uncontrollably and wound up climbing two feet to the floor.
    I wonder if the characteristic smell survived the move--decades of 3-in-1 Oil applied to the inner gate.

Thanks to the new owner of a super mansion for saving a piece of Hudson history.

This is my house and project, and the reason for my handle on this forum.

Sandhouse: The State of Michigan would not allow a DC machine. It's a modern AC motor and controlling apparatus behind the scenes. They also would not allow the inner gates for safety reasons, so we installed a second set of original glass doors inside the cab. But all the other old equipment was restored and made functional again, most significantly the pneumatic door operators.

I used to ride one of ancient Hudson elevators in their flagship store in 1982 just a year before the dept. store closed. Elevator Fan...Thank you for saving the Spirit of Hudson's Let us know when have to open house party so we can ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevator Fan View Post

Sandhouse: The State of Michigan would not allow a DC machine. It's a modern AC motor and controlling apparatus behind the scenes. They also would not allow the inner gates for safety reasons, so we installed a second set of original glass doors inside the cab. But all the other old equipment was restored and made functional again, most significantly the pneumatic door operators.
    Hi Elevator Fan, VERY cool project! When I was a child, we would go to Hudson's and, of course, ride the elevator. It was my dream job to wear that long blue coat with epaulets, and run the elevator. Let me know if you're hiring!

I think it's awesome what you did. Do you or anyone else you know have any other interesting mementos from the store?

They also would not allow the inner gates for safety reasons,
    Hope you kept them for some other, maybe decorative use.