Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New tallest building in Brush Park Announced

The Brush Park boom rolls on...
    "A 111-foot residential building, which would become the tallest in Detroit's Brush Park neighborhood, is among those getting federal Low-Income Housing Tax Credits.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 10.06.31 AM.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  47.0 KB
    "Detroit-based American Community Developers' proposed Brush + Watson development in the Brush Park enclave just outside of downtown is tagged at $65 million with 310 residential units, including a 10-story building that would surpass the nearby Carlton Lofts building's 92 feet at 2915 John R.

"An anticipated 163 of the 310 residences across the three-building development with about 8,000 square feet of commercial space would be deemed affordable, according to a news release. It received $1.5 million in 9 percent LIHTC through the Michigan State Housing Development Authority and the developer is aiming for another $650,000 in 4 percent credits upon the close of financing."

Some nice renderings/info from Oombra's website: https://www.oombra.com/#/brushandwatson/

This is very nice... but whenever I see such high density in Midtown, I am perpetually reminded of the 6 story "stick built" apartment building on the Statler site downtown....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This is very nice... but whenever I see such high density in Midtown, I am perpetually reminded of the 6 story "stick built" apartment building on the Statler site downtown....
    It is easier to take it down when it's stick built as well. That is what I hold onto.

As for Brush Park I would love to see a few 10 story buildings here and there for a little variety.

Pretty sure this one has already broken ground, there has been massive equipment on site for awhile now. Love that all parking is underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Pretty sure this one has already broken ground, there has been massive equipment on site for awhile now. Love that all parking is underground.
    It HAS broke ground and it's really awesome that Brush park's getting new life with projects like this and City Modern!! The city did a press confrence of this on their Youtube channel. Here's the link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBO_GQ-tp_g

That is quite an attractive building. And the expected completion date
    is 2021.

The City Club Apartments announced near the Bonstelle a few months ago will actually by the tallest in Brush Park at 16 floors.

A apt. in Brush Park for folks with money. Lots of money.

The Brush Park CDC has been a little picky about taller buildings coming in. Hopefully that attitude changes when they see the vibrancy these buildings bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Now that construction of that monstrosity is nearing completion it just confirms how out of scale it is with literally every other building nearby. It looks awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The Brush Park boom rolls on...
    "A 111-foot residential building, which would become the tallest in Detroit's Brush Park neighborhood, is among those getting federal Low-Income Housing Tax Credits.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 10.06.31 AM.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  47.0 KB
    "Detroit-based American Community Developers' proposed Brush + Watson development in the Brush Park enclave just outside of downtown is tagged at $65 million with 310 residential units, including a 10-story building that would surpass the nearby Carlton Lofts building's 92 feet at 2915 John R.

"An anticipated 163 of the 310 residences across the three-building development with about 8,000 square feet of commercial space would be deemed affordable, according to a news release. It received $1.5 million in 9 percent LIHTC through the Michigan State Housing Development Authority and the developer is aiming for another $650,000 in 4 percent credits upon the close of financing."
    Is this “Affordable + Market rate” arrangement still experimental or is there evidence it actually works? By works I mean;
    1. Does not degenerate to ghetto like Brewster Douglas
    2. Provides more opportunity for upward mobility

I don’t think the block on John R/Alfred is a good example of success due to its senior restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Now that construction of that monstrosity is nearing completion it just confirms how out of scale it is with literally every other building nearby. It looks awful.
    While that development is a big disappointment, isn’t the scale actually similar to a lot of what’s directly across Washington Blvd?

The David Whitney building is directly across and that's more than twice as tall. Literally every building on Washington Blvd. is significantly taller.

The David Whitney building is directly across and that's more than twice as tall. Literally every building on Washington Blvd. is significantly taller.
    Literally?

That’s “literally” not true. Count the floors at Himelhoch’s and the Claridge, which are “literally” next door to the Whitney and “literally” across from City Club.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    By works I mean;
    1. Does not degenerate to ghetto like Brewster Douglas
    Yeah, in pretty much every city in the western world, even some in the United States.

It's honestly laughable you're acting like subsidized housing is some kind of new novel unproven concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Yeah, in pretty much every city in the western world, even some in the United States.

It's honestly laughable you're acting like subsidized housing is some kind of new novel unproven concept.
    Also, what is proposed is not social housing like Brewster Douglass but rather subsidized housing. Landlords are just as much, if not more, a beneficiary as tenants.

Also there is nothing wrong with social housing mixed in with market rate housing. The big reason the projects failed was because they were segregated and racism turned them into ghettos in the sky.

It appears to be three buildings. Are they all connected to each other? I don't see one building.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    It appears to be three buildings. Are they all connected to each other? I don't see one building.
    They’re separated by walkways

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    They’re separated by walkways
    I get what they are going for here, but I would favor a more traditional block with an alley down the middle. I don't want to see areas becoming full block building after full block building. City Modern kept the alleys at least somewhat intact.

I feel like what we'll see here is the back road acting as a defacto alley with parking coming off it.

Himelhoch: 111 ft.
    Claridge: 90 ft.
    City Club: 90 ft.

I stand corrected. It still looks ridiculous on that corner.

If we continue to look at GCP,
    The Madison Building 90'
    The Opera House 78'
    Tuller 0'
    Witherell 0'

Though I can agree that the Statler was a far more impressive building aesthetically, The new City Club will add good density to the CBD.
    Also, I believe someone in this thread already mentioned this, the building is stick built. In the future, the north side of the building could be taken down [[rather easily) and replaced by a taller steel structure. The building in its current form will give a good indication for demand in the area.

Totally agree that it’s ridiculous. Missed opportunity. Never ever should have demoed the Staler but it’s all done now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast