Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GMC Hummer Launch

Y'all need your pickup to go 0-60 in 3 seconds flat? And for only $112K [[floor mats extra):

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...er/5987498002/

Yeah... it's not for me. I've always had a negative impression of the vehicle and those that drive it.

For most folks, this is a fool's purchase. Unless you've got money to burn.

Nor me but it will definitely have a market. Just like sports cars and Escalades, if you've got the money it is unique. I never thought people would pay 1,000 bucks for a cell phone but millions do.

Ha! Was just getting ready to post this too.

Probably the most interesting feature is its ability to “crab walk,” a steering technology that allows the vehicle to move diagonally. The 4-wheel steer featuring CrabWalk1 allows the rear wheels and front wheels to steer at the same angle at low speeds, enabling diagonal movement for even greater maneuverability on challenging terrain. It is said to have a 350 mile charge range with a 100 mile in ten minutes quick charge capacity.

Now if that allowed perpendicular movement I might pony up the $120K for one [just kidding] as it would allow one the chance to parallel such a beast.

https://freep-mi.newsmemory.com?publ...4b723f_1343861

With the instant torque of these electrics it would definitely take some getting used to. If you were just a little heavy on the pedal you would be in the front seat of the vehicle in front of you.

When my friends and I visited Moab in the 2000's, the most popular vehicle was the Jeep Wrangler. The second most popular vehicle there was the Hummer H1. There are a lot of people with money in Utah, California, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington that like to go off-roading. Along with wealthy ranchers in Texas, this will sell decently I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    When my friends and I visited Moab in the 2000's, the most popular vehicle was the Jeep Wrangler. The second most popular vehicle there was the Hummer H1. There are a lot of people with money in Utah, California, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington that like to go off-roading. Along with wealthy ranchers in Texas, this will sell decently I think.
    Off to a good start:

GM sells out first-year production of GMC Hummer EV electric pickup in an hour

Hmmmmmm. $112K Hummer or 2021 CORVETTE STINGRAYZ51 Coupe 3LT for $80K? Easy choice for me lol

The technology in it is astounding.

Glad GM is doing well but also angry these massive cars are selling like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Glad GM is doing well but also angry these massive cars are selling like hotcakes.
    Why are you angry? I don’t know much about the vehicle. I didn’t read the article. But, the criticism of the former incarnation was always gas consumption. If it’s an all electric vehicle, how’s it any different from a Tesla?

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    Why are you angry? I don’t know much about the vehicle. I didn’t read the article. But, the criticism of the former incarnation was always gas consumption. If it’s an all electric vehicle, how’s it any different from a Tesla?
    Bigger, taller, heavier cars are more wasteful [[wasting raw materials as well as electricity/gas), do more damage to roads, are more dangerous to other drivers and more dangerous to pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Hmmmmmm. $112K Hummer or 2021 CORVETTE STINGRAYZ51 Coupe 3LT for $80K? Easy choice for me lol
    So which is it...

What'd be cool is if states refused to issue license plates to them.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    Bigger, taller, heavier cars are more wasteful [[wasting raw materials as well as electricity/gas), do more damage to roads, are more dangerous to other drivers and more dangerous to pedestrians.
    Does a Tesla then get counted as a heavier car too, given all the sensors and other electronic devices it needs to have it’s semi-autonomous features? Or does it get a pass because of Elon?

There was a recent study by UofM on that, and all the extra energy consumption needed by vehicles like Teslas because of their added features. Few liberal new publications seemed to pick up on that story for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    All very true when looking at it thru an urbanite lense

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Does a Tesla then get counted as a heavier car too, given all the sensors and other electronic devices it needs to have it’s semi-autonomous features? Or does it get a pass because of Elon?

There was a recent study by UofM on that, and all the extra energy consumption needed by vehicles like Teslas because of their added features. Few liberal new publications seemed to pick up on that story for some reason...
    Literally none of what you posted has anything to do with what I said.

And I'm not a doctor or anything, but I would imagine that whether a car gets "counted" as a heavy car would have more to do with the weight of the vehicle than the brand or number of sensors on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    All very true when looking at it thru an urbanite lense
    Great answer...

GM did not release the weight of the new Hummer.

Name:  hummer2 [[2).jpg
Views: 486
Size:  131.5 KB

I'm not one to tell people car to drive [[though some purchase are obviously conspicuous in nature). Still you get some dictating no one should be driving ANY car whatsoever! Having said all of that, one of my cousins had a Hummer and was able to afford it comfortably [[in her case) but the thing was a BRIGHT YELLOW LEMON [[was actually yellow)! Tinker-mobile deluxe.

She spent so much time at the dealer - driving rentals provided for the recurrent problems it proved prudent to sell it as fast as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    Yeah... it's not for me. I've always had a negative impression of the vehicle and those that drive it.

For most folks, this is a fool's purchase. Unless you've got money to burn.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-22-20 at 02:03 PM.

What vehicles will be restricted next? Those ten years and older? This of course only hurting lower income people... so I am often mindful of what the 'states' will do next..........

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    What'd be cool is if states refused to issue license plates to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post

Can you share this study?
    The comparison should be between a loaded Tesla or Hummer with an average gas powered vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What vehicles will be restricted next? Those ten years and older? This of course only hurting lower income people... so I am often mindful of what the 'states' will do next..........
    My opposition is to the potential speed and acceleration. It would apply to any vehicle of any make that is mechanically capable of exceeding certain speeds. I would say 100MPH, but most vehicles can do that, though not safely or for very long. I once did over that on the Jefferies in a 74 Gran Fury but only for a short distance [[maybe a mile or so) and when no other cars were in sight.

Vehicles designed to do it like many of the new high dollar high performance retro vehicles [[Charge, Challenger, Camaro) would be included.

If they can't legally find a way to refuse registration, the alternative would be surrender/forfeiture/confiscation and destruction of the vehicle on the first speeding offense over 'X' MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    My opposition is to the potential speed and acceleration. It would apply to any vehicle of any make that is mechanically capable of exceeding certain speeds. I would say 100MPH, but most vehicles can do that, though not safely or for very long. I once did over that on the Jefferies in a 74 Gran Fury but only for a short distance [[maybe a mile or so) and when no other cars were in sight.

Vehicles designed to do it like many of the new high dollar high performance retro vehicles [[Charge, Challenger, Camaro) would be included.

If they can't legally find a way to refuse registration, the alternative would be surrender/forfeiture/confiscation and destruction of the vehicle on the first speeding offense over 'X' MPH.
    Kinda harsh don't you think?

Less harsh that a family getting creamed by a race car on public roads?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast