Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's going on in the Sugar Hill District?

I caught sight of this as I was on the Woodward bus today headed downtown today as I passed the VA. So when I got back home [[I literally live a block away), I grabbed my camera and took a few shots of it. They call themselves Sugar Hill Development and it seems that they are keeping the house that is sitting there as a part of the development. I'm surprised that I didn't see it here. How did it fly under the radar of DYes?

This is right on John R between Forest and Garfield facing the VA

Name:  _DSC8979.jpg
Views: 4558
Size:  104.4 KBName:  _DSC8968.jpg
Views: 4549
Size:  82.5 KBName:  _DSC8980.jpg
Views: 4598
Size:  85.8 KBName:  _DSC8987.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  103.7 KBName:  _DSC8998.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  98.0 KB

First thing came to mind.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr5qEDv8Yxo

I seem to recall that project has being announced here but can't find the thread. I've turned into the alley beside that house many times which leads to a mud lot that provided free parking for Seva. That lot seems likely to be gobbled up by the project making me wonder where there will be parking for Seva and the other businesses, a tea room, the N'namdi Gallery and a couple I forget.

Found it. The Sugar Hill project was announced, ironically, further down in the 10 Detroit Projects That Were Announced - But Never Happened thread which cites this Detroit News Article.

"Oh ye of little faith."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I seem to recall that project has being announced here but can't find the thread. I've turned into the alley beside that house many times which leads to a mud lot that provided free parking for Seva. That lot seems likely to be gobbled up by the project making me wonder where there will be parking for Seva and the other businesses, a tea room, the N'namdi Gallery and a couple I forget.
    The parking will be provided by the 160-car stall parking garage that will be built as a part of this project. I presume this parking garage will provide parking for the new development and for some of the existing businesses, so that surface parking lot won't be needed.

What we really need is robust rapid transit to our core so that so much development dollars and land don't have to be dedicated for parking cars.

Anyway, this $36 million project, being across the street from the Veteran's Administration is largely an affordable housing project with Veterans in mind. It will include 68 apartment units, 11,800 feet of ground-floor retail, and a 160-space parking structure. Foundation work started in August of this year.

I didn't know they were incorporating the old house in the project. I think the basement of that house had a barber shop not too long ago.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/12/1...tment-building

Me too, but could they have found any more blond Nordic kids to dance in that "club"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    First thing came to mind.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr5qEDv8Yxo

^^^ Hey! The speaks to SUCCESS - as in cross-over appeal! This song remains a classic. An excellent beat-song for the exercise playlist. The rest of the video is compilation of others dancing.

Awesome photo compilation DS! I will have to drive thru there. I did not know any thing about this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    They call themselves Sugar Hill Development and it seems that they are keeping the house that is sitting there as a part of the development. I'm surprised that I didn't see it here. How did it fly under the radar of DYes?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Me too, but could they have found any more blond Nordic kids to dance in that "club"?
    hahahahahaha.....I thought the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Hey! The speaks to SUCCESS - as in cross-over appeal! This song remains a classic. An excellent beat-song for the exercise playlist. The rest of the video is compilation of others dancing.
    One of my favorites for sure. I tell my mid 20's kids, today's "rap" has nothing on these guys.

Thanks a lot guys. Now I'll have that song running through my head all day. And hey, white people can dance too you know!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQu_NLRvULM
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-20-20 at 10:43 AM.

This development is significant, it is unfortunately the very last work of renowned architect Phil Freelon. He died summer 2019.

Are they renovating the house too?

The below article from "dbusiness" website has the most up-to-date information on this project and a nice aerial rendering showing how the new building will fit into the existing landscape.

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news...etail-project/

Concerning the name Sugar Hill Arts District:
    Sugar Hill was a thriving entertainment and nightlife district from the 1940s to 1960s, with many African-American-owned establishments. The Sugar Hill Arts District was designated a national and local historic district in 2002, based on its history as a center of Detroit jazz and entertainment venues serving diverse audiences.
    Some other interesting tidbits:

An outdoor green space adjacent to the building will be developed in coordination with Midtown Detroit Inc., to connect with other “green alleys” located in Midtown and serve the building’s tenants, community residents, and visitors.
    The design is one of the last projects by Phil Freelon, a celebrated Black architect. Freelon – whose works include the Smithsonian National Museum of African-American History and Culture in Washington, D.C. and Atlanta’s National Center for Civil and Human Rights – passed away in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. Now I'll have that song running through my head all day. And hey, white people can dance too you know!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQu_NLRvULM
    Not Elaine! LOL