Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "I Voted" 2020 Metro Detroit Voting Procedures Discussion

This thread is purely for discussion of the the process of voting this year and any questions or observations. It is not for the advocacy of any candidates. Kindly keep the discussion to the mechanics of voting and tell us of your experiences.

Name:  ivoted.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  51.9 KB

I’ll begin by noting that I voted today. Usually I vote by mail but this year I requested that my ballot not be sent, opting instead to go to my town hall, show my ID, directly obtain my ballot, and vote then and there.

The process was the same as if I had received the ballot by mail. I made my choices, inserted the ballot in its secrecy envelop, placed that in a sealed mailing envelope, which I signed and dated on the outside. [Don’t forget to do that!]. I then place my ballot in the ballot box and stuck my “I Voted” sticker on my jacket. All the same as mail voting, except for sending it in my mail.

One difference I notice this year was that the Straight Party Ticket option for Partisan Offices has been restored as a part of the passing of the 2018 Referendum Proposal 3 https://www.michigan.gov/documents/s...V_635256_7.pdf

You will find that option at the top of the ballot as shown below, meaning if you wish to cast all your Partisan office votes for one party you can check the party and skip ahead to the Non-Partisan office selections vs. having to fill in all the individual office selections.

Name:  straigt-ticket.png
Views: 905
Size:  41.1 KB

[As you can see, if you choose straight party ticket there is no note advising you to skip ahead, something I thought could be confusing. So I asked the clerk what happens if one makes a straight ticket choice and then, in confusion, didn’t skip ahead to the Non-partisan offices, but went on to make individual Partisan selections. Would that void the ballot? She said no, the individual choices would be counted and the straight party choice ignored.]

Your thoughts and observations please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Link correction:

Replace "https://www.michigan.gov/documents/s..._635256_7.pdf]" with

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/s..._635256_7.pdf
    Fixed. Thanks.

If I select to vote a straight party ticket but, for one office, I mark a
    candidate of the other party, am I correct in thinking that my one
    vote for the candidate of the other party is counted and that my
    choice of straight party voting is nullified? In other words, the
    only vote that will be counted is the one for the office where I
    selected a candidate for the party inconsistent with my straight
    party vote?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    [As you can see, if you choose straight party ticket there is no note advising you to skip ahead, something I thought could be confusing....]
    In my case [[different location in SE Michigan), there was a note giving the option to vote for party then skip ahead "to the nonpartisan section." Now I wish I had taken a photo of it. I don't see that note on the online sample ballot.

There were two other options. One was to vote for party and vote for specific candidates, possibly of a different party.

I received my ballot in the mail with plenty of time to spare but, knowing of the recent postal controversy, chose to return it directly to the clerk instead. There were three places listed there where it could be deposited. One was a drive-by box that wasn't labeled specifically for ballots so I [[and another voter) skipped to the second option, a slot by an outer door of the building which was labeled for ballots.

I did all that on Friday and as of Sunday the website [[https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/Voter/Index) did not show that my ballot had been received. On Monday the website was updated showing it had been received on Friday. Ding!

I didn't get a sticker. I can resist the sticker envy though. LOL!
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-08-20 at 10:00 AM.

That's a terrific link Jimaz!
    I also confirmed that my ballot was received.
    https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/Voter/Index
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 10.58.37 AM.png
Views: 739
Size:  25.9 KB
    It also contains complete information on how to register, where to vote, one's registration status, and a ballot preview [It is not the same visually as my ballot but it correctly had all the candidates and proposals.] and more.

Voting by mail here in Las Vegas metro area. The ballot is huge. There must be ten thousand persons running for various judgeships out here. Just my thought that they need to refine this process somehow. Especially since I don't much give a crap about judgeships. 95% of them are qualified and would serve well, in my opinion.

Usually I vote by mail but this year I requested that my ballot not be sent, opting instead to go to my town hall, show my ID, directly obtain my ballot, and vote then and there.

The process was the same as if I had received the ballot by mail. I made my choices, inserted the ballot in its secrecy envelop, placed that in a sealed mailing envelope, which I signed and dated on the outside. [Don’t forget to do that!]. I then place my ballot in the ballot box ...

Your thoughts and observations please.
    Out here in Podunk, we don't do that. We fill out a normal ballot and insert it into a scanner just as in any other situation.

I'm vehemently opposed to 'straight party' selections. We should be voting for candidates for office, not for parties.

https://detroitmi.gov/departments/elections

Does anybody know about these satellite voting locations? Who can vote at them? Do you have to register as absentee?

I did some research into this because the ballot language is iffy and the Ypsilanti newspaper gave the best explanation. In short you are incorrect. It's still confusing, but it seems that you can split your straight ticket???
    “Split Ticket” Voting: Voters may vote in the straight party race and select the party of their choosing, but then vote directly in an individual race [[or multiple individual races) by directly voting for a candidate from a different party, voting for a candidate with no party affiliation, or casting a write-in vote. As with straight ticket voting, voting in the straight party race will indirectly cast a vote for all candidates running under that party to the maximum allowed for each race in which the party is participating, except where the voter overrides an indirect vote by a casting direct vote for a candidate of a different party, a candidate with no party affiliation, or a write-in vote.

For example: If a voter casts a straight party vote for the Ice Cream Party but directly casts a vote for one individual candidate of the Pie Party, the straight party vote will indirectly cast a vote for all candidates running under the Ice Cream Party to the maximum allowed for each race in which the Ice Cream Party is participating, except for the one race in which the voter cast a vote for the Pie Party candidate. If there are any races in which the Ice Cream Party is not participating, no votes will be cast in that race if no direct vote for another candidate is made. If the voter wishes to vote in any non-partisan races and proposals, the voter must make selections in these races separately.
    https://cityofypsilanti.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1145
    Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    If I select to vote a straight party ticket but, for one office, I mark a
    candidate of the other party, am I correct in thinking that my one
    vote for the candidate of the other party is counted and that my
    choice of straight party voting is nullified? In other words, the
    only vote that will be counted is the one for the office where I
    selected a candidate for the party inconsistent with my straight
    party vote?

Thank you.
    Last edited by jcole; October-11-20 at 08:42 AM.

As a Canadian outsider, I'm curious. If you can vote early why do so many people wait until election day when the line-ups can be hours? Also, what percentage of people will vote in-person early, wait until election day and by mail-in in Mich.?

Tradition, the belief in Trump that ballots are being stolen, the desire to make sure their vote is counted.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As a Canadian outsider, I'm curious. If you can vote early why do so many people wait until election day when the line-ups can be hours? Also, what percentage of people will vote in-person early, wait until election day and by mail-in in Mich.?

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    https://detroitmi.gov/departments/elections

Does anybody know about these satellite voting locations? Who can vote at them? Do you have to register as absentee?
    This is my major question that is not answered on the city's election website. I was planning to vote in person, but I would much prefer to go to a satellite site sooner if possible.

If the August Primary, where 60% of the ballots cast were absentee*, is any indicator it seems likely the same will happen in the general, especially with the recent resurgence of Covid. So far it appears 50%+ have requested absentee ballots but there is still three weeks left to make requests--or go into a city office, as I did, and directly cast a ballot, a process identical to absentee voting but done on site with the ballot envelope directly deposited into a ballot box.

*"In Livingston, Oakland, Kent, Ingham and Wayne counties, Democratic absentee participation ranged [in the Primary] between 70% and 80% of overall Democratic turnout, while Republican absentee use ranged between 45% and 55% of overall GOP ballots." Source Then there is from a poll released today: "Among likely voters who have voted or say they will vote early, 40 percent are voting by mail, and 22 percent are dropping off their ballots at a designated drop box, while 37 percent were voting in person." Source

It remains to be seen if absentee voting will be reduced due to aspersions being cast on absentee ballots by the Trump campaign. I'm not clear when of absentee ballot results would be reported vs. the tally in the in-person ballots [likely will differ by jurisdiction]. Some say the the in-person returns will be reported earlier and, with in-person votes having a larger Republican share, will initially give Republican candidates early leads. As the absentee ballots are added the numbers will likely shift to the Dems and lead to accusations of suspicions of those ballots and creating the grounds for challenges.

As far as I'm concerned, no one should know, or even be able to infer totals from either process. Only the elections commission should know and it should require a court order to release that information.

But that also goes with my opposition to vote totals being reported as they trickle in. Only the final totals should be announced, even if it's the next day or days. This live election night stuff needs to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, no one should know, or even be able to infer totals from either process. Only the elections commission should know and it should require a court order to release that information.

But that also goes with my opposition to vote totals being reported as they trickle in. Only the final totals should be announced, even if it's the next day or days. This live election night stuff needs to end.
    Agree. Count them all and only then report. The tactic of exit-polling should be abandoned too, especially in view this just report numbers...
    "Among likely voters who have voted or say they will vote early, 40 percent are voting by mail, and 22 percent are dropping off their ballots at a designated drop box, while 37 percent were voting in person." Source

I agree with both of you; just hold the damned election and let us know who won. There is too much of the "early returns say" before the whole country is done
    Agree. Count them all and only then report. The tactic of exit-polling should be abandoned too, especially in view this just report numbers...
    "Among likely voters who have voted or say they will vote early, 40 percent are voting by mail, and 22 percent are dropping off their ballots at a designated drop box, while 37 percent were voting in person." Source

The long lines are hyped and occur mostly in Democratic run election districts. You have probably seen multiple photos of the Washington School lines in Milwaukee leading your news stories. However, I live in a 90% Democratic voting district and the election day management here is outstanding.

Two elections ago, I voted using an absentee ballot. Everything worked fine. In the last election, I did drive in voting on election day. Only one car was in front of me. The absentee voting has been so popular that the number of voters [[lines) on election day have significantly diminished in most places.

I'm planning to do drive in voting again this coming election day. Voters, like jurists, should in most circumstances wait until all the facts are in.

If you are interested in early voting statistics, here is a great website that is tracking day by day, the voting statistics as submitted in participating states. For example, if you click on Michigan, it will give you the county by county statistics. It’s very interesting, it’s updated daily, quite a powerful database.
    https://electproject.github.io/Early...20G/index.html

If you can vote early why do so many people wait until election day when the line-ups can be hours?
    One would think that only homeless people would be voting on election day. The return envelopes for mail ballots don't require postage, so it makes zero sense to drive, walk, take a bus, etc., to the voting place.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    If you are interested in early voting statistics, here is a great website that is tracking day by day, the voting statistics as submitted in participating states. For example, if you click on Michigan, it will give you the county by county statistics. It’s very interesting, it’s updated daily, quite a powerful database.
    https://electproject.github.io/Early...20G/index.html
    Thank you for posting this.

I live in Detroit and since I’m on disability and am no longer allowed to drive for medical reasons, I requested to have ballots mailed to me permanently.

For the upcoming election, I received my ballot in the mail on 9/24 and filled it out. I was getting a ride to the store on 9/25 and put it the mail at the Allen Park post office along the way.

I signed up for Ballot Trax back in 2018 which lets you know the status of your ballot. For Detroit, you can go to Elections on the city’s website, tap track ballot status, put in your name, birthdate, & zip code. The status of your ballot will show up.

For my ballot, it shows that mine was received at the Detroit Elections office on 10/1. There’s a green circle with the word, “Completed” in the middle. It will also show your mailed ballot status dates from past elections.

Idk if this was an error or not, but it said my ballot was mailed to me on 9/30 and to look for it in my mailbox. I had already received it on 9/24 and mailed it back on 9/25.

Regrets?

In Michigan, absentee voters can change their ballots if they have not yet been processed and tabulated, according to an official at the state’s Bureau of Elections.

If you want to change your absentee vote, contact the office of your city’s clerk’s office. The best chance to change your vote is as soon as possible before 4 p.m. Monday, the day before the election.

Up until Sunday night... 60 million people have voted.

Thanks Jimaz, I've been checking the status of my absentee ballot on the site you shared.
    12 days after I dropped it into a mailbox in a distant State it still has not been received. Grrr.
    If you're voting by mail, don't wait! Our ballots must be received by election day and our mail service is not what it used to be.
    Last edited by bust; October-26-20 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Thanks Jimaz, I've been checking the status of my absentee ballot on the site you shared....
    You're most welcome, bust. Feedback can confirm or deny whether our votes actually matter. We deserve to know that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast