Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Glass Mural Building for Eastern Market

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...it/3587004001/

I like the murals at E.M. and it's hard to know what the final product will look like but this looks like a bit much. What are your thoughts?

This building does look like a bit much. It will be a striking addition to
    the Eastern Market.

Also saw this in Crain's and went to Google Street view to see what is being demolished--another "Colorful" building. Below are the rendering of the new and a picture of the present.

I notice that controversial developer Sanford Nelson is behind the project [whose dispute with Russell Street Deli led to its dissolution]. The building to be demolished had a substantial mural and it appears that the developers are trying to head off a controversy over mural destruction [ala the "Rainbow Vomit" mural controversy] will have the current mural recreated to some extent.
    Eastern Market property coming down to clear way for colorful 4-story glass building
    Firm Real Estate, the company headed up by Sanford Nelson, said in a news release that the building at 2701 Russell St. at Division Street next to Bert's Warehouse will be torn down soon after site preparation is completed. ;

The existing building's mural by artist DENIAL that prominently spells "DOOM" is expected to be re-created and enlarged on the new building's glass facade and wrapping around the entire building, replacing the ominous word with the upbeat "DO!"

"I feel that the physical integration of the original public artwork into the glass architecture of the building is about the permanent preservation of an idea for the future to experience as public art is more often than not, an ephemeral form of art," DENIAL said in the release.

New art by Detroit artist Sheefy McFly will adorn the upper half of the 40,000-square-foot building, the development cost of which was not disclosed.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...glass-building
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 10.04.22 AM.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  2701-Russell.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  69.1 KB

Well that kinda sucks, I like that old building. Why cant they build on top of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Well that kinda sucks, I like that old building. Why cant they build on top of it?
    For what it's worth, the president of the Eastern Market Partnership said in the Detroit News article that it has "serious structural issues."

We need art like this in Detroit business district.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    For what it's worth, the president of the Eastern Market Partnership said in the Detroit News article that it has "serious structural issues."
    So gut the place and keep the brick facade. Put the glass addition on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    We need art like this in Detroit business district.
    Looks like glorified graffiti to me. Enough of that around already.

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    This building does look like a bit much. It will be a striking addition to
    the Eastern Market.
    I like how we can interpret "striking" a variety of ways.
    Smashing.
    Astonishing.
    Staggeringly arresting.
    What a hit!

DOOM! to DO!
    DOOM! to DOO!
    DOO! to DOO!
    Last edited by bust; October-01-20 at 04:38 PM.

In the movie The End [[Burt Reynold, Dom Deluise), one of the characters spits up a bunch of pills he just took. There is a line 'Looks like Walt Disney threw up in Technicolor'.

This mess looks like Tyree Guyton threw up in oils.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    In the movie The End [[Burt Reynold, Dom Deluise), one of the characters spits up a bunch of pills he just took. There is a line 'Looks like Walt Disney threw up in Technicolor'.

This mess looks like Tyree Guyton threw up in oils.
    Burt Reynolds and Dom Deluise.
    Can anyone name all movies they starred in together?
    [[Such bad 80's.)
    I prefer Guyton.
    Last edited by bust; October-02-20 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    That building goes back to the 1800s, looks like 3 or 4 separate buildings. We always have to remember that when a new developer wants to tear something down... their mantra is always "the old building is too far gone to be saved"... just to justify what they are doing.

I agree about just saving the skin of the older structure... and restoring the brickwork to its' original color... those Victorian 2nd floor arched windows are pretty cool. They can float any additional floors to be added on top in any psychedelic colors they want. But to continue to lose the historic fabric of the original Eastern Market is a travesty...

I dig it. Eastern Market is a place to be colorful, be eccentric, be bold with architecture.

...Where landlords pretend authenticity with uncontroversial undergrad simulacra that negate our past in hypercolor.
    Last edited by bust; October-02-20 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    ...Where landlords pretend authenticity with uncontroversial undergrad simulacra that negate our past in hypercolor.
    ~simulacra~ thank you for a new word. I had to search the interwebs to understand the word; however, I’m not sure I understand your meaning with entire thought/sentence.

If I were to translate for someone, I would say, “Sanford Nelson is again cloaking himself with faux-grit but that’s better than others who use college kids to paint their buildings for free; resulting in mediocre fauxArts.”

But I’m not sure such a translation is accurate or welcomed.

Eastern Market is full of colorful, bold murals; this really isn't a huge deviation from what already exists.

Saw this article last evening in my email from The Architect's Newspaper [[Midwest edition): https://www.archpaper.com/2020/09/mv...eastern-market

On the surface, looks like a great colorful addition to Eastern Market!
    The architect MVRDV has a lot of interesting projects under their belt!
    https://www.mvrdv.nl/projects

But with the additional details from the local media, sounds like something to keep an eye on....to see if and how it comes to fruition.
    Last edited by Kathleen; October-02-20 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I dig it. Eastern Market is a place to be colorful, be eccentric, be bold with architecture.
    Agreed. If there’s anyplace in the city this should be, it’s Eastern Market.