Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Protests to close Psychedelic Healing Shack after body found

This happened the weekend before last so I’m late. I’m sure a few of you already saw this but I can’t stop thinking about it.

https://wwjnewsradio.radio.com/artic...e-detroit-club

Beyond the article, people are claiming this chiropractic Dr. Bob character is something of a predator, a “wolf in sheep’s clothing”. He’s been here for at least 20 years and some also say he’s well connected. He is known as something like a holistic pastor figure within his community. The video of him speaking so coldly about a man he has employed for years is eerie and also baffling to me.

I’m curious if any of you know anything about Dr. Bob Pizzimenti and his Innate Healing Center & Vegetarian Cafe aka Psychedelic Healing Shack [[aka Goldengate Cafe) at 7 Mile & Woodward.

There's a whole little community/commune of eco-anarchist artist folks around there on Goldengate St., east of Woodward and about 4 blocks south of 7 Mile. They've taken over a bunch of abandoned houses in what was one of the city's most devastated and emptied out neighborhoods, calling it Fireweed Universe City. I think the Dr. and his "healing center" are kind of at the core of that community.

What that poor man was doing in their slide, I have no idea.

^^^ I never had a good feeling about that place or their um, offerings. Heard from a few people that the food was not so great/ groudy as vegan eateries go [[and there are a plenty in the city to choose from).

Sounds like some long-term shannigans and that promotional video as described was inappropriate!
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-01-20 at 05:10 AM.

Info going forth [[protests and the like - and video comments) here eh, suggests not just a bit of angst re. what happened to Max Julian...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21-EBGeYr-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEsc7i3O3ek

Standard news story on the incident:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/vi...de/vp-BB19ccjz

History of place [[mini bio) with updated [[post Julian's death) comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-Lk9-b9jA
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-01-20 at 04:33 AM.

There was a young man who died over the summer that used to live there. I don't recall the details, but this place seems to be a magnet for suburban kids protesting against the rat race. A place to go experiment and get strung out with other like-minded folks - they take up residence in the bombed out homes on robinwood and other blocks. A sad dystopian place.

Psychedelic Shack that's where [[the dead body) is at!

And its not the Temptations song.

The best thing I heard about him was he had the courage to snitch on the crack and heroin outfit next door.
    I'll look for a link.
    This is cool too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcOooD1dM3g
    I have an eco spiritual profound empathy for humanity side but ever since an overnight visit to that Jesuit non-profit for troubled youth I also have a strong distrust of all things cultish, so....

EDIT: Here's a link:
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ring/30453341/

EVERYONE knew what was going on that neighborhood.
    It was a magnet for addicted, dejected, and abused suburban kids.
    The video was callous, and insensitive.
    Like from someone who had seen it many times before.
    I don't know if "Dr. Bob" was part of the problem or part of a solution, but given that the worst aspects of that neighborhood would have thrived without him, almost certainly more dangerously, I guess the latter.
    It's impossible to be unflawed, and it's especially hard to imagine when someone chose to surround himself by so many grotesqueries.
    Last edited by bust; October-01-20 at 10:05 PM.

Too bad about the neighborhood. I lived on Goldengate circa 1970-71 and often took the Woodward bus to the New Center, Cultural Center, and downtown. It was lovely then.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Too bad about the neighborhood. I lived on Goldengate circa 1970-71 and often took the Woodward bus to the New Center, Cultural Center, and downtown. It was lovely then.
    That's when the DEAD [[c)KRAK HEADS and dope fiends from HP came in and tore some North Side Detroit hoods into urban prairies. Chaldeantown is already DEAD!

Default Vote for me and I'll set you free

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Psychedelic Shack that's where [[the dead body) is at!

And its not the Temptations song.
    Not the Psychedelic Shack!, well maybe not, but definitely Ball of Confusion [[May 1970). Name:  ball [[2).jpg
Views: 706
Size:  91.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Chaldeantown is already DEAD!
    There's a vibrant Chaldean community in Sterling Heights around Ryan Rd. and 15 Mile Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    ...well maybe not, but definitely Ball of Confusion [[May 1970).
    Yeah, and those were the good old days

The groovy ghoulies at the corner notwithstanding, Goldengate has actually held up better on the whole than many of the other streets around there. Margaret about 4 blocks south, where I lived for a summer and fall in the late '70s, is a wreck. And of course Robinwood just to the north is infamously destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    There was a young man who died over the summer that used to live there. I don't recall the details, but this place seems to be a magnet for suburban kids protesting against the rat race. A place to go experiment and get strung out with other like-minded folks - they take up residence in the bombed out homes on robinwood and other blocks. A sad dystopian place.
    Zak was his name. I didn't know him but I recall he was hit exiting Belle Isle on bicycle. That story stuck with me and made me a slightly more defensive rider.

My experience with the place was not unlike you describe, though I'll say it had a welcoming, "good-weird" vibe rather than an unscrupulous, seedy vibe. It felt like a true independent business and a community making the most of their resources.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    And of course Robinwood just to the north is infamously destroyed.
    Pull up your favorite streetview of the NE corner of Robinwood and Charleston and tell me the story of that house.

And what's with the mansion right behind the PsychoShak?

There's a vibrant Chaldean community in Sterling Heights around Ryan Rd. and 15 Mile Rd.
    Yes I have been the new Chaldean Town on 15 Mile Rd. and Ryan Rd. in Sterling Heights. It formed from some former Detroit North Side Chaldeans fleeing from their hoods near Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Community Center on W. 7 Mile Rd. and Charleston St. since in late 1990s. Others flee from Oak Park at 9 Mile Rd and Scotia St. And some from Southfield area. They found their new suburban area beautiful to them and they enjoy it. It's their new promised land.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The groovy ghoulies at the corner notwithstanding, Goldengate has actually held up better on the whole than many of the other streets around there. Margaret about 4 blocks south, where I lived for a summer and fall in the late '70s, is a wreck. And of course Robinwood just to the north is infamously destroyed.

You can thank the dope fiends from HP for that mess. My god relatives used to live on some 4 bedroom wood frame Queen Anne bungalow at Edgevale St. north of McNichols Rd. and John Rd. near the Detroit-Highland Park Border in the mid 1980s. It was a stable neighborhood filled with houses. And the diverse and lot of white folks live their at the time. When the HP dope head made a riff raff in North Detroit hoods. folks move out, some homes were sold to low-income folks, other were abandoned turn into drug houses and lots of white folks quickly move away. Chaldean Town hang on until the late 2000s before the made their exodus to Oak Park, Southfield, Hazel Park and others to create a new community in Sterling heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny;601249[B
    They found their new suburban area beautiful to them and they enjoy it. It's their new promised land.[/B]
    I'm looking forward to eating at Ishtar when the pandemic subsides. Its lunch specials are the best kept secret in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    And what's with the mansion right behind the PsychoShak?
    According to the freep it was one of many places raided for selling heroin several years back. See the article I posted above. When it happened I remember seeing a local TV news story about it too.
    Last edited by bust; October-02-20 at 08:07 PM.