Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Steven Soderbergh Begins Filming "Kill Switch" in Detroit

Anyone have any sightings of this production to report?

"The film is about a group of small-time crooks in 1955 Detroit whose robbery assignment goes awry in what's described as the race-torn, rapidly changing city.

"The star-studded cast includes Don Cheadle Benicio Del Toro, David Harbour, Jon Hamm, Ray Liotta, Kieran Culkin, Bill Duke, Brendan Fraser and more."

"The cast and crew will be working under strict COVID-19 safety protocols. Filming is expected to last through much of November.

"Formerly titled “Kill Switch,” “No Sudden Move” was about two weeks away from shooting when the COVID-19 pandemic shut it down.

"It represents the biggest film project to come to Detroit since 2015, when Michigan's film incentives officially ended. Early this year, the project was seeking vintage cars of the 1950s to be used in scenes."

Great cast. Wow.

I thought they may have been filming last week at the former Garan Lucow office building at Woodbridge and Rivard. Lot of trucks and tents there last week.

so they're not getting any films incentives for this. good.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    so they're not getting any films incentives for this. good.
    Rather than grants, to my mind they should at least offer some form of tax credits, as almost all other states do. Films bring in work which wouldn't otherwise be here, often not the case with other tax breaks, so any money spent by the production is a bonus. The film industry has dried up to almost zero since the incentives were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Rather than grants, to my mind they should at least offer some form of tax credits, as almost all other states do. Films bring in work which wouldn't otherwise be here, often not the case with other tax breaks, so any money spent by the production is a bonus. The film industry has dried up to almost zero since the incentives were removed.
    Nah they don't bring work and never did, they ship people here to do the filming and everything else that's needed. It never gave jobs to people in the state. The film industry doesn't deserve a cent from us or any other state really.

Nah they don't bring work and never did, they ship people here to do the filming and everything else that's needed. It never gave jobs to people in the state. The film industry doesn't deserve a cent from us or any other state really.
    I never said they bring in jobs. They bring in tax revenue when they rent space, stay in hotels, eat meals, hire security, etc.
    You can offer tax credits and still have a substantial net gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Anyone have any sightings of this production to report?

"The film is about a group of small-time crooks in 1955 Detroit whose robbery assignment goes awry in what's described as the race-torn, rapidly changing city.

"The star-studded cast includes Don Cheadle Benicio Del Toro, David Harbour, Jon Hamm, Ray Liotta, Kieran Culkin, Bill Duke, Brendan Fraser and more."

"The cast and crew will be working under strict COVID-19 safety protocols. Filming is expected to last through much of November.

"Formerly titled “Kill Switch,” “No Sudden Move” was about two weeks away from shooting when the COVID-19 pandemic shut it down.

"It represents the biggest film project to come to Detroit since 2015, when Michigan's film incentives officially ended. Early this year, the project was seeking vintage cars of the 1950s to be used in scenes."
    Yep! They started filming two days ago in Grandmont near the corner of Lyndon and the 39 service drive... I thought it was a crime scene at first lol... just a block or two from my house and as of this writing they are still there. I have only driven by twice and no sight of any of the amazing cast

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I never said they bring in jobs. They bring in tax revenue when they rent space, stay in hotels, eat meals, hire security, etc.
    You can offer tax credits and still have a substantial net gain.
    I highly doubt it resulted in any meaningful net gain for the state.

I guess you're right. Give the revenue to the other 38 states that offer credits. Michigan only needs the really big stuff.

And no net gain for film art.