Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is anyone in city planning considering the influx of climate refugees headed here

A great listen from the Daily:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/27/p...on-crisis.html

- California is having more wildfires today
    - The entire southern US is becoming increasingly inhospitable with life-threatening heat and humidity
    - Natural water resources are severely over tapped in the southwest and southeast
    - record droughts are becoming the norm
    - up to 50 million coastal dwellers will be impacted or displaced by rising seas
    - POTUS actively denies or ignores scientist's warning rung across the world

a number of midsized Midwestern and Rust Belt cities that are projected to see the largest relative gain in population from climate migrants, among them St. Paul, Minnesota; Madison, Wisconsin; and Toledo, Ohio.
    southeastern Michigan could expect to see at least 50,000 climate migrants by mid-century.
    I would have to think a city with double the infrastructure for current residents would want to be planning for this - midcentury is 30 yrs off

https://qz.com/1895263/how-cities-ca...mate-migrants/

As long as we still have some water, I'm staying here and not returning. Except for my annual visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

50,000 people spread over the entire state 30 years from now? Politicians rarely plan beyond their current term.

Metro Detroit has 4,319,629 people as of the 2019 census estimates.

Given that it's below the 1970 peak population by 171,273, I'm pretty sure it can handle an increase of 50,000 people over a span of several decades just fine.

Detroit should focus on renovating, building, or improving existing neighborhoods. Eniugh of these developments on the Riverfront or on Woodward. Lets start building single dwellings with front and back yards, retail and other amenities that are close to walk to and schools only for the children who live in the communities surrounding these schools. Make Detroit more livable for the influx of climate people that are moving here. Get rid of these backwards thinking elected officials and planners

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroit should focus on renovating, building, or improving existing neighborhoods. Eniugh of these developments on the Riverfront or on Woodward. Lets start building single dwellings with front and back yards, retail and other amenities that are close to walk to and schools only for the children who live in the communities surrounding these schools. Make Detroit more livable for the influx of climate people that are moving here. Get rid of these backwards thinking elected officials and planners
    Why is a single dwelling building better than the multi dwelling buildings being developed?

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    Why is a single dwelling building better than the multi dwelling buildings being developed?
    Not to mention Detroit is no different than anywhere else. If there's market demand for single family homes developers will build them.

It's gonna be a lot more than 50,000.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Given that it's below the 1970 peak population by 171,273, I'm pretty sure it can handle an increase of 50,000 people over a span of several decades just fine.
    Yep, pretty much. When it comes to climate change Detroit has little to nothing to worry about. The united states however is in deep trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    When it comes to climate change Detroit has little to nothing to worry about.
    Besides part of the city and some of the 'burbs being under water.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    lol what?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    lol what?
    Sea level rise, duh!

Total arctic and Antarctic ice melt would leave Michigan in good shape. Say goodbye to Florida, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Total arctic and Antarctic ice melt would leave Michigan in good shape. Say goodbye to Florida, though.
    no loss

You guys know that the Great Lakes are connected to the oceans via the St. Lawrence Seaway right? Which means we will be as much underwater as any of the coasts.

Isn't part of the eastern shore already under water?

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    You guys know that the Great Lakes are connected to the oceans via the St. Lawrence Seaway right? Which means we will be as much underwater as any of the coasts.
    You do realize Detroit is approximately 600 feet above sealevel. The Ocean would have to rise 600 feet before it backed up into the Detroit river. There's not enough ice in the world to raise all the oceans 600 feet.

Thousands of sick and tired folks in fire damaged California are not moving to Michigan or Detroit, MI. Fewer people will but not all. More Californians will rebuilt their homes and get their lives back in those old growth fireproof forests. Only to see their homes will destroyed again by next year and rebuild again. Others will move a different areas or another city, town and state where they breathe clean air and rains a lot.

This is not immigration or exodus issue. Detroit still have fire damaged homes. Not just poor folks who don't take care of themselves, or some old electrical problem powered an asbestos covered wiring since the 1900's with screw in fuses. But by just plain carelessness, arsonists and riff raffs. Detroit is still stuck with the poor people in the ghetto hood problem and I don't think those refugees for California is going to fill up Detroit hoods anytime soon. They can move to any city that is safe for them in they believe what social media is telling about what American city is has some kick for them.
    Last edited by Danny; October-01-20 at 12:57 PM.

How's about that! The Niagra Falls [[not that far) came to mind when you said that... downward projection [[fall) - not up!

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    You do realize Detroit is approximately 600 feet above sealevel. The Ocean would have to rise 600 feet before it backed up into the Detroit river. There's not enough ice in the world to raise all the oceans 600 feet.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-30-20 at 10:37 AM.

Some folks in this thread have been watching too much American Dad with the comments about Detroit being underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

My feelings exactly. Detroit alone could handle that amount of people in a rather short amount of time.

To put the global warming ice cap thaw into perspective... if all the glacier ice in the world melted, sea level would rise 230ft. To put that into perspective... Quebec City, Quebec is at 330 ft. above sea level... so the water rise would not even affect that city... but at St. Lawrence River points further to the Atlantic Ocean.

So all 5 of the Great Lakes would be unaffected by sea water rise.

And yet they've been overly high for how long now?

What the crowd doesn't understand is that it isn't just melt alone. The entire issue of increasing storms due to changing wind and precipitation patterns leading to more rain and snow is what causes lakes and rivers to rise.

It isn't the melt. It's what causes the melt and whatever else.

It doesn't matter if the oceans rise 20 feet. It matters if the lakes rise 5 feet. Lake levels are not dependent on ocean levels.

The rivers near me rise and fall 30-40 FEET nearly every year. FEET, not inches. Normal is around 12-15 feet above sea level. Flood stage is 40 feet above sea level and we've hit that most of the last 20 years. They have been over 50 feet above sea level at least 3 times in that period.

When the closest river is a little over 40 feet above sea level my road floods and becomes impassable to cars, meaning nobody can get to work, get mail or other deliveries, etc. How long it rains and over how wide an area determines how long the rivers stay up. My road has been closed as long as 3 weeks. Rivers have been above flood stage for 3 months or more.

Prior to the 1980s, this kind of thing was much less common.

The rivers near me rise and fall 30-40 FEET nearly every year. FEET, not inches. Normal is around 12-15 feet above sea level. Flood stage is 40 feet above sea level and we've hit that most of the last 20 years. They have been over 50 feet above sea level at least 3 times in that period.

When the closest river is a little over 40 feet above sea level my road floods and becomes impassable to cars, meaning nobody can get to work, get mail or other deliveries, etc. How long it rains and over how wide an area determines how long the rivers stay up. My road has been closed as long as 3 weeks. Rivers have been above flood stage for 3 months or more.

Prior to the 1980s, this kind of thing was much less common.
    This seems to highlight the issues with Detroit's notoriously poor drainage system more than it does global warming...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast