Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Question about the street signs

What year did the street signs were switched from black on white to white on green?

Around the late 1960s.
    Last edited by Danny; October-01-20 at 01:11 PM.

As early as 1972.

I remember some parts of the far east side still had the black on white signs in thee early 80s

I think Conway on South Fort and 15th Street on Grand Blvd were the last two to come down, within last 3 yrs or so. There's a few of the old green signs left, was one on Ford Road, probably a few in SW. Some of those spots are so industrial or potholed its scary to get down there.

While there may have some downtown green signs
    prior to, most of the streets in the neighborhood didn't start to get those new green signs till the early 80s. They were the ones that actually had the street name with the block listed in the upper right corner. For example, Archdale, Southfield, Longacre, Rutland, at Schoolcraft all had the 13900 block listed on the streets that ran north at Schoolcraft. Concurrently, all those street listed 14100 block at Kendall, 14300 at Acacia, 14500 at Lyndon, and so on.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; September-27-20 at 10:21 PM.

White on green signs started in 1967. Black and whites were still produced into the eighties until they were phased out. There are still two in service that I know of - Rockcastle and Moross and also one on West Parkway I beleive.

Here is my steel [[not aluminum) Edsel Ford sign in the basement.
    Name:  IMG_5051.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  56.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    White on green signs started in 1967. Black and whites were still produced into the eighties until they were phased out. There are still two in service that I know of - Rockcastle and Moross and also one on West Parkway I beleive.
    There are no longer any black on white signs on West Parkway, but the one at Fort and Conway that was mentioned earlier is still up as of last time I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    Here is my steel [[not aluminum) Edsel Ford sign in the basement.
    Name:  IMG_5051.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  56.3 KB
    That's kinda cool.

[QUOTE=Király;601266]Previous threads on this topic. Interesting reading for us sign nerds:

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...-of-the-1950-s

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...d-Street-Signs

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...-into-new-ones[/QUOTE

Old threads never die, they just get archived! Wondered if the one I started would show up and there it is at the top.