Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Off topic post dump

It should be noted, I don't know anyone who actually like Biden/Harris.

Rather, people are simply voting against Trump [[myself included).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It should be noted, I don't know anyone who actually like Biden/Harris.

Rather, people are simply voting against Trump [[myself included).
    I know quite a few people that like the Biden/Harris ticket.

We must be in different circles.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post

Apparently so.

If you are a Trumpette you have a wide selection of signs available. Semi-customizable. You can get a “Veteran for Trump”, “Gun Owner for Trump”, “Christian for Trump”, “Mom for Trump” ...

In the increasingly tribalized America, one can further segment oneself into smaller and smaller subsets of society.

We were supposed to have learned that our nation’s motto was E Pluribus Unium, now courtesy of Trumpian Tribalism our de facto motto is E Pluribus Pluribus.

This Balkanized America is a brilliant plan by the political party formerly known as the Republican Party. I see very little understanding of what a republic is supposed to mean.

Yep, some Detroiter's I am talking to you are like 'holding' their nose to vote for him against a continued Trump run. Not too much excitement perse. More a tone of resignation........

The flip-flop of that is some may having the same attitude in voting for Trump!

Or not voting at all!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It should be noted, I don't know anyone who actually like Biden/Harris....
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-23-20 at 01:12 PM.

Hah! I've got a twist for the Gun on G:

"Gun OwnerSHIP for those who may need - WHATEVER THEIR PARTY'

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    If you are a Trumpette you have a wide selection of signs available. Semi-customizable. You can get a “Veteran for Trump”, “Gun Owner for Trump”, “Christian for Trump”, “Mom for Trump” ...

I have a strong feeling Trump will win Michigan even though the odds are in Biden's favor.

Likely turns out it wasn't a good idea to put a senile grandpa and a cop who enforces prison slavery on the Democratic ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    This was similar to what happened in 2016 though. Everybody thought Clinton had it in the bag but she had no signs, no tangible support. Meanwhile the Trump signs were everywhere and I'm seeing them again now.
    Nobody thinks Biden has this in the bag. FWIW, drive around some of the burbs...was recently up in B'ham...and Biden signs are 10x more prevalent than Trump signs.

My fall back is to expect the unexpected!
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-23-20 at 03:03 PM.

41 days and counting.............

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Anyone else notice this, compared to presidential elections in the past?
    It's because we are in the midst of a global pandemic. One would have to go back over 100 years in order to find anything to "compare" this election cycle to. By nature, campaigning has been all about human interaction: extensive travel, big crowds, supporters visiting campaign offices [[historically, that's where one obtains the 'free' signs--for a donation BTW), hand-shaking, door-to-door et al.

None of this is medically prudent, and the Biden-Harris team has taken this into account in their approach. Whether it's a winning one is TBD. Looking back at Biden's style, the legacy form of campaigning is in his DNA---so I'm sure he is as frustrated as anyone else about these newfound limitations.

Like both party conventions and most talk/news shows, the majority of activity is virtual. There are still speeches, fundraisers, and forums. However, they are streaming, so they won't garner local TV news coverage like in-person rallies. Assuming that local TV news & lawn signs are the primary source of campaign activity, yes, it would appear not as much is going on. Go online, and it's still a very active space.

Presidential campaigning has evolved over the years, and it's continuing to do so. Up until the 19th century, it was considered unnecessary & unusual to campaign in person [[McKinley famously won with his 'front porch' approach). Even when we return to 'normalcy', I suspect there will be some permanent adaption to technology. We may never see 100% return to the campaign & convention approaches we grew up with.
    Last edited by Onthe405; September-23-20 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post

I'm not "Ride'n for Biden", but I think he'll be a great choice. He's a very moderate and polished choice. He's preaching uniting us together and being a president for all Americans.

I'm so sick of what Trump has done to this country and how he purposely divides us because it benefits him.

I think Trump will lose big time in November [[although I thought that in 2016 and was so wrong). It will be interesting to see if his cult moves on or not. Trump undoubtedly will still be tweeting away for the next four years win or lose. The most dangerous element to the GOP futures won't be Never-Trumpers, but Forever-Trumpers.

America tried the experiment of having a racist, sexist, reality tv-show host, failed businessman run the country. Hopefully November says that we're done with that.

In the 2016 Election the Republicans who strongly supporting TRUMP came to the polls in high numbers because they are against a female who will historically president thus ending over 240 years of along line of men U.S. President. Hillary Clinton got the pop. vote, they were not enough black votes and Hispanics vote were high about not enough to secure the electoral votes to have her in office. Thanks to lots of mostly out of work, rural white Republicans, Trump is now Reichsfuhrer of the United States.

This time more mostly out of work, rural white Republicans will be in the front lines to keep GRUMPY TRUMP in office. This means Democrats BETTER get in front an center to VOTE VOTE VOTE for BIDEN or else stay TRUMP who has mind of a 12 year whining boy.

I kinda wish Lowell would start a survey on this site. Five Catgories:
    1. Trump
    2. Biden
    3. Petrified that Trump might win
    4. Bored if Biden wins
    5. DGAF. Bring on 2021.

Hah!! In either case I will not be found screeching and screaming on youtube for the million hits. Nope. Hysteria will advance little!

IMO, many of us may vote for Biden but not buying the 'now get with the program' ala the whole default dem status-quo nor the extremes of far left without question.

Black voters in Detroit key for Biden, but are they engaged?

https://apnews.com/7fe3b88e3cecae7b6fcc8e1e31fe0948

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Or not voting at all!
    This defeatist and frankly idiotic attitude is why things DON’T change. Not voting isn’t voicing your displeasure. It’s reaffirming the status quo.

I would look to turnout of 2018 midterm races to discern how turnout will fare this Nov - they were higher than 2016 btw.

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1633_8722-29616--,00.html
    Last edited by hybridy; September-23-20 at 05:58 PM.

^^^ Ha-hee.... I noted that [[Harris Admin - with Biden). That's the joke in the neighborhood. Many know locally here who'd really be president. Biden and Harris both put her name first too!

That could be their undoing considering the status of Cali, but let's stay on point regarding the needs of Detroit, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I kinda wish Lowell would start a survey on this site. Five Catgories:
    1. Trump
    2. Biden
    3. Petrified that Trump might win
    4. Bored if Biden wins
    5. DGAF. Bring on 2021.
    6. Fed up with Democrats, their endless lies, and their sabotage of candidates that would fight for universal healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    This defeatist and frankly idiotic attitude is why things DON’T change. Not voting isn’t voicing your displeasure. It’s reaffirming the status quo.

I would look to turnout of 2018 midterm races to discern how turnout will fare this Nov - they were higher than 2016 btw.

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...9616--,00.html
    Those who vote for corruption aren't victims, but accomplices" and that applies to both sides of this horse shit aisle.

Win or lose, he's not going to leave office peacefully, in which case he will be violating the Smith Act.

"Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government; or

Whoever, with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of any such government, prints, publishes, edits, issues, circulates, sells, distributes, or publicly displays any written or printed matter advocating, advising, or teaching the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying any government in the United States by force or violence, or attempts to do so; or

Whoever organizes or helps or attempts to organize any society, group, or assembly of persons who teach, advocate, or encourage the overthrow or destruction of any such government by force or violence; or becomes or is a member of, or affiliates with, any such society, group, or assembly of persons, knowing the purposes thereof—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.

If two or more persons conspire to commit any offense named in this section, each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.

As used in this section, the terms “organizes” and “organize”, with respect to any society, group, or assembly of persons, include the recruiting of new members, the forming of new units, and the regrouping or expansion of existing clubs, classes, and other units of such society, group, or assembly of persons."

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post

1.) The 20th century and the influence of the baby boom generation dying hard.
    I can celebrate this at least. The baby Boomers truly ruined everything. Ruined our cities, ruined our social safety nets, ruined our environment.

What did we inherit from the Boomers? Ugly suburban homes and stripmalls as far as the eye can see in this country, thank you Boomers.

^^^ That's a pretty hefty and broad brush relative to B-Boomers spanning from 1946 - 1964. A time-frame of incredible growth and infrastructure building owing in part to the age of the nation along with grand and poor political choices made and social injustice laws pending.

And yes, for sure I could have done without the LCD Timothy Leary scene that predated my college years! Some of that was never real enlightenment. Nope. And we see where post-modernism has/ is taking us.

Looking at the upcoming generation I see problems increasingly, most noteworthy is the contempt for and lack of knowledge of the past. History is what was touted on twitter last week or what fits the social politic of the day. Real acknowledgement of history is discarded and ignored.

I blame this in part on the indoctrination, um, I meant educational system[[s). The main issue I see with some of current generation is their base lack of gratitude. Replaced with supposed privilege - self-endulgance.

And no, I am not limiting that privilege to any specific race.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-24-20 at 11:16 AM.

This thread could go very wrong... A sign of the times?

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    What did we inherit from the Boomers? Ugly suburban homes and stripmalls as far as the eye can see in this country, thank you Boomers.
    I'm afraid you're a few decades off with that one. Check out this whimsical criticism of suburbia written c.1962:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast