Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Exchange Development at 338 Gratiot

Goodbye to a surface parking lot!

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...ng/5863733002/

Hello new skyline.

Build it, build it! I almost forgot about this one. So exciting

Do they mean December 2020 or 2021? Kind of surprised considering that the project recently got announced and the Covid-19 situation and projects like the Mid have been pushed back to at least June 2021.

From the article:

"There would be about 6,500 square-feet of ground-floor space that was originally planned to be retail space, but in response to the coronavirus pandemic and its effect on the market demand, will instead be carved into 30 private for-lease offices."

I don't get this. By the time this building is finished hopefully the pandemic will be over. And how is the pandemic increasing demand for office space vs. retail?

I don't really get it either. Hopefully it can be converted back to retail later on. But it seems that they have done their homework with their analysis of the market.

I think that with so much retail and restaurant space gone out of business due to the pandemic, there is now a glut of retail/restaurant space available, thus driving down the demand and the resulting lease costs for that space.

Looks like The Exchange groundbreaking is starting soon, they closed off the sidewalks this week.

Attachment 41434

Hopefully when this is completed by 2024 we will have a completely new Council including President and Pro Tem and developments will move along speedily

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Hopefully when this is completed by 2024 we will have a completely new Council including President and Pro Tem and developments will move along speedily
    There we go! It wouldn't be a proper Detroit groundbreaking without some complaining! It's official boys.

Will there be underground parking for this project? It wasn't mentioned in the article.

They are not building any dedicated parking.

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    Will there be underground parking for this project? It wasn't mentioned in the article.
    Parking will be in the lot on the southeast corner of Brush and Macomb.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    Parking will be in the lot on the southeast corner of Brush and Macomb.
    Thank God. We don't need more parking, and underground garages take too long to build. Can't wait to see this thing rise!

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    There we go! It wouldn't be a proper Detroit groundbreaking without some complaining! It's official boys.
    Ground could be held but the actual construction may not start for another year

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Ground could be held but the actual construction may not start for another year
    You obviously know nothing about this project, like at all. Keep trolling though, not like you have anything better to do.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    Thank God. We don't need more parking, and underground garages take too long to build. Can't wait to see this thing rise!
    I’d rather they included parking in the building instead of using a nearby surface lot. Pretty much means that surface lot will remain a surface lot as long as the Exchange is occupied, unless someone builds something close by with extra parking in a garage.

I’d rather they included parking in the building instead of using a nearby surface lot. Pretty much means that surface lot will remain a surface lot as long as the Exchange is occupied, unless someone builds something close by with extra parking in a garage.
    It's just a Lions lot wedged between the stadium and 75. Nothing would be getting built there. Actually at least it puts it to use.

Not going to do constant updates, but this is what that area looks like today:

Attachment 41435

Attachment 41436

Last I saw it was supposed to be built with a pre-fab system, so it might not take too long to build now that they're started on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's just a Lions lot wedged between the stadium and 75. Nothing would be getting built there. Actually at least it puts it to use.
    Not sure what you're talking about. The lot being kept is kitty corner from the site of The Exchange, at Macomb and Beaubien, which is on the same block as Second Baptist Church and is just as developable as the actual site of The Exchange.

Not sure what you're talking about. The lot being kept is kitty corner from the site of The Exchange, at Macomb and Beaubien, which is on the same block as Second Baptist Church and is just as developable as the actual site of The Exchange.
    Sorry! I read Macomb as Montcalm. I wondered why it was so far away.

Condos plans here if interested:

https://exchangedetroit.com/floorplans/#condos

Not necessarily. They could decide they don't need the parking in the future [[which is likely, it's downtown Detroit) and offer the lot to be developed. I find that much better then parking being forever attached to the building like some of the monstrosities you see that get built in the South. It's good that there is no parking being built for this.

Update as of April 30th:

Attachment 41447
    Attachment 41448

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast