Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Auto Show Moving to Sept. 2021

It was supposed to be June 2020, then June 2021, now it appears it will be Sept. 2021 before we get out moneymaker auto show after two and half years.

The move was prompted by the LA Auto show moving a date in March but I think the further from the vagaries of the pandemic it gets the better. I still prefer June for showcasing Detroit and hopefully it will return to that date in the following years.

It is likely that if it had been held in Jan of this year, as in the past, it could have been a super-spreader event as it has been now shown that the virus was around already then and likely more would have been transported in from China and Europe.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/auto-s...move-fall-2021

Yes thank you. Having the Auto Show in June is just to hot for me.

Don't matter. By June, 2021, we'll all be dead. CNN told me so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Don't matter. By June, 2021, we'll all be dead. CNN told me so.
    Not quite... only those over 70 who don't believe in masks and social distancing.

September is a WAY better month than June to have the Auto Show, from a weather stand point. The only thing I could see disrupting popularity is football season.. but I don't think that would make a significant impact.

Hopefully they can get some of the premium import brands that build cars back, otherwise it's "do I want the boring suv or the really boring suv".

Hard to imagine the charity preview with everyone walking around with masks on. Or, walking around Cobo Hall [[TFC) with a mask on. It’s always hot as hell inside there during the auto show.

I like this move. I think Sept-Oct are the best months weather-wise in Detroit.

I was hoping we wouldn't be needing masks by September 2021.

We are not going to have cars models that fly, yet.

I still think moving the auto show to Summer months was the worst idea ever. Winter months [[Jan-Feb) were perfect for the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    I still think moving the auto show to Summer months was the worst idea ever. Winter months [[Jan-Feb) were perfect for the event.
    As a consumer show yes. However as the Detroit show has become less relevant with the automakers introducing vehicles on the internet, foreign automakers dropping out and the Vegas show getting more attention they needed to try something to keep foreign journalists coming and the show relevant.