Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Congratulations Detroit for being least polluted city in the world

We're choking in Vancouver right now, air quality is at 278, the worst reading of any city in the world.

The city with the cleanest air in the world [[at this moment)? You. Congratulations!

https://www.iqair.com/ca/world-air-quality

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 3.06.37 PM.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  50.3 KB

Today is a cloudless day but the sky is a milky color, due to the smoke that has drifted in from the fires in the west, when it would ordinarily be a crisp blue. However the AQI [Air Quality index] is a relatively low 55 in Detroit at moment yet I swear I smell a slight odor.

I have been monitoring AQI for locations where I have friends in Oregon and several times, in Portland, Eugene and Bend, it has exceed 500. A couple of years back I attended one of my Peace Corps reunions in Mount Shasta, CA on this same September date with two nearby fires and the AQI was 220 when I arrived. I could smell the smoke even inside the motel room and was thinking of leaving the next day. Thankfully it cleared down into the mid 100's but I can't imagine what day after day of 4-500+ must be like or even anything over 200.

I just heard from forum member jjaba in Portland who says he has been sealed in his place since Labor Day. This is just awful and I hope you and all along our west coasts will see the end of this soon and forever. Let it rain, let rain [without lightning].

Sucks to live on the West Coast.

Hey, it's good to hear Jjaba's still kicking.

Some haze here in Las Vegas off and on. Thickness depends on wind direction, of course. However, nothing considerable to bring any kind of warnings.

At last check, there was only one minor wildfire burning in Nevada. But then, there ain't a helluva lot to burn out here in the Mojave Desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Hey, it's good to hear Jjaba's still kicking.
    That is great news. Who knew the Vernor bus went to Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That is great news. Who knew the Vernor bus went to Portland?
    I believe that would be the Dexter bus!

US12 [[Michigan Avenue) DOES go to the west coast, Aberdeen, WA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_12

I used to be in contact with JJABA, I won a couple of his contests. Thanks for the message, Lowell. I was much more active in the days when he was "riding the Dexter Bus"

I miss Jjaba's banter on this forum... he always liked to diss the east side... being a westsider thru and thru.

I remember his notorious posts! The Dexter line used to be pretty rough the few times I road it - you needed to be pretty doggone hearty to deal. End of the line bottoming out at Northland I think.

Quote Originally Posted by missn View Post
    I used to be in contact with JJABA, I won a couple of his contests. Thanks for the message, Lowell. I was much more active in the days when he was "riding the Dexter Bus"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I believe that would be the Dexter bus!
    Geez. That was embarrassing. How soon we forget.