Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Joe Luycx and the Toledo Museum of Art's Glass Collection

https://www.toledomuseum.org/about/glass-tma

Here's a story worth relating. I knew an elderly attorney from Detroit named Joe Luycx [[pronounced Loyks) who represented the TMA in a lawsuit with the Libbey family. Joe said that would-be Libbey heirs sued the museum because, when the patriarch died, it was discovered that he bequeathed most of his wealth to endow TMA's glass collection and school. The Libbey family sued to vacate the old man's last will and testament. Joe and another Detroit attorney named Froehlich won the case. As a result TMA became one of the most richly endowed art museums in the country.

I estimate that Joe Luycx was born circa 1900. He attended University of Detroit Law School. He went to Sunday services at St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church at 438 St. Antoine St. at Jefferson.

Joe was a real mensch.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; September-14-20 at 09:40 AM.

Toledo Museum of Art is one of the best art museums around! Superb collection...paintings, sculpture, glass, and more!

If you haven't been, you should schedule a visit!
    https://www.toledomuseum.org/visit

It must have been Libbey who made the yellow glass medallion that once graced the ceiling of Kresge Court. It's probably languishing somewhere in storage.

Correction: I found an old letter from Joe and I see that I misspelt his name by one 'k' -- his last name was Luyckx. It's one of those troublesome Dutch or Belgian names.