Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Livernois’s Ave of Fashion

I had visited the new streets cape that run along Livernois from 8 mile southward to Curtis. I wonder and my question is are there going to be more decent retail opening on the strip within the next two years? I know that the pandemic had slowed things down. However, some of the businesses had opened. Sadly the newly built structure that sit on the corner of Livernois and 7 mile has no tenants. I know that the owner had said that the new tenants or retail that were supposed to open in that structure will up the game for the whole area. What had happened?

I think you answered your own question. Assuming they could somehow get any financing, why would anyone open a retail store during the pandemic?

Does anybody have photos of the recently finished redesign? I've only seen a few but have not gotten a good look yet. From what I have seen it looks amazing. That avenue has became urban and walkable almost overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Does anybody have photos of the recently finished redesign? I've only seen a few but have not gotten a good look yet. From what I have seen it looks amazing. That avenue has became urban and walkable almost overnight.
    It looks great. Whenever I get the chance to go over there there are always families walking around, the restaurants seem to be busy, especially kuzzos and Narroway. As for the retail those kind of things don't change over night, but there have been several very nice businesses that have opened up for things like hair products and things. I can't believe I have to keep repeating myself, but considering how we're currently wrapped up in a recession[[depression depending on who you talk to) shit ain't gonna be boomin anytime soon.

Don’t want to be negative but it’s been a joke for 40 years that I can remember, maybe longer then that. There might be a nice restaurant or two and some decent retail here and there but basically nothing of substance. To me, wig shops and hair braiding locations aren’t decent retail. Boston Market is pretty tasty for lunch though.
    Last edited by softailrider; September-12-20 at 07:18 PM.

After COVID and streetscape nightmares... I’m impressed there is anything left.

Find a vaccine and all sorts of places will open up. I was there last weekend and was surprised to see a sign for a new Atwater brewpub. Right now construction is halted but I’m sure once it makes sense to open a place that depends on face-to-face interaction...

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Don’t want to be negative but it’s been a joke for 40 years that I can remember, maybe longer then that. There might be a nice restaurant or two and some decent retail here and there but basically nothing of substance. To me, wig shops and hair braiding locations aren’t decent retail. Boston Market is pretty tasty for lunch though.
    Can't argue with that. How many shitty hair salons can fit in one city. But with converted flats selling for around 200k and smaller homes selling for 150s I don't think a lot of these wig ships will be around much longer

^^^ Not all salons and barbershops! Here's a list of all the various retail, commercial business services and restaurants etc:

https://theneighborhoods.org/story/h...ou-can-support

There are art galleries and artists as well [[a designers story):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=Yufxfifdk4A&feature=emb_lo go
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-13-20 at 06:37 AM.

The brewpud is MotorCity Brewing works. Construction has been slow, but continues almost daily.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think you answered your own question. Assuming they could somehow get any financing, why would anyone open a retail store during the pandemic?
    Bronzed N Glow Beauty Boutique opened in August

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/3292446001/

Is “Livernois’s” pronounced as “Liver Noise?”
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; September-13-20 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Can't argue with that. How many shitty hair salons can fit in one city. But with converted flats selling for around 200k and smaller homes selling for 150s I don't think a lot of these wig ships will be around much longer
    Why do hair salons in the city have to be shitty?
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; September-13-20 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Is “Livernois’s” pronounced as “Liver Noise?”
    I've heard a lot of folks call it that... and some call it "Liver Noy". Charlevoix is pronounce "Shar-leh-voy". Cadieux is pronounced "Cad-you". Vernier is pronounced "Vern-eer".

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Bronzed N Glow Beauty Boutique opened in August

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/3292446001/
    And if you read the article, which was written in early August, that's one opening and 800 closings since March. [[I know they're just focusing on one business that opened and there are more but you get the point).

That's not about Livernois, those closings on yelp were across metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Not all salons and barbershops! Here's a list of all the various retail, commercial business services and restaurants etc:

https://theneighborhoods.org/story/h...ou-can-support

There are art galleries and artists as well [[a designers story):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=Yufxfifdk4A&feature=emb_lo go
    Art galleries are a joke. One of the owners literally would come iut to the sidewalk and harass you to come in and buy art. There need to be retail that will pull the money in from Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, and Green Acres. I dont mind diversity but too many businesses cater only to the Fenkell Wyoming crowd

Quote Originally Posted by oliverdouglas View Post
    The brewpud is MotorCity Brewing works. Construction has been slow, but continues almost daily.

Thank you for that correction, yes, MotorCity Brewing.

That building was a pre-school until the last year or two. It is one of the cutest buildings on that stretch and I look forward to seeing how they use that front “courtyard”.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Art galleries are a joke. One of the owners literally would come iut to the sidewalk and harass you to come in and buy art. There need to be retail that will pull the money in from Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, and Green Acres. I dont mind diversity but too many businesses cater only to the Fenkell Wyoming crowd
    I agree and am kind of surprised that isn't a primary targeted demographic for new retail. Those neighborhoods physically border the "avenue". Doesn't have to be "either or" it can be "both and". Where do the people who reside in those neighborhoods currently shop and dine? Midtown/downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentBeing View Post
    I agree and am kind of surprised that isn't a primary targeted demographic for new retail. Those neighborhoods physically border the "avenue". Doesn't have to be "either or" it can be "both and". Where do the people who reside in those neighborhoods currently shop and dine? Midtown/downtown?
    They are much closer to Ferndale. However, the Avenue does offer some:

Dining
    Kuzzo's Chicken and Waffles
    Good Times on the Avenue [[has brought a lot of energy to the avenue)
    Bucharest Grill
    Noni's Sherwood Grille
    Yoshi Hibachi Grille

Coffee Shop
    Narrow Way Cafe
    Lana's Bake Shop

Bakery
    Good Cakes and Bakes
    Mr. and Mrs. Benson Bakery

Retail
    Simply Casual
    The Broadway [[moved from Downtown)
    Three-Thirteen Clothing
    Krispy Addicts
    Flagship Boutique

There are several other small boutiques and a Footlocker

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    Why do hair salons in the city have to be shitty?
    I didn't say they HAVE to be shitty, but a lot of them ARE shitty. And by shitty I mean dirty

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    They are much closer to Ferndale. However, the Avenue does offer some:

Dining
    Kuzzo's Chicken and Waffles
    Good Times on the Avenue [[has brought a lot of energy to the avenue)
    Bucharest Grill
    Noni's Sherwood Grille
    Yoshi Hibachi Grille

Coffee Shop
    Narrow Way Cafe
    Lana's Bake Shop

Bakery
    Good Cakes and Bakes
    Mr. and Mrs. Benson Bakery

Retail
    Simply Casual
    The Broadway [[moved from Downtown)
    Three-Thirteen Clothing
    Krispy Addicts
    Flagship Boutique

There are several other small boutiques and a Footlocker
    Thanks for the breakdown.

I haven't been down that way since before they started tearing up the road. The places you listed for retail are mostly streetwear, not my taste. The fashion selection in the avenue of fashion doesnt seem too diverse. Although I am not in that area so I am not a part of the direct target market. My hypothesis is those living directly east of livernois aren't part of that target either. Which was my original point. Targeting that crowd could bring in a good amount of commerce/investment for the strip.

Food scene looks great though.

That area had a pretty good run. Not sure when that started but by the mid part of the Coleman Young regime it pretty much looked as it does now. Until you get rid of, or extensively rehab those dilapidated buildings and store fronts I don't believe any viable retail is going to want to operate there.

That area had a pretty good run. Not sure when that started but by the mid part of the Coleman Young regime it pretty much looked as it does now. Until you get rid of, or extensively rehab those dilapidated buildings and store fronts I don't believe any viable retail is going to want to operate there.
    I don't think you've been to Livernois in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I've heard a lot of folks call it that... and some call it "Liver Noy". Charlevoix is pronounce "Shar-leh-voy". Cadieux is pronounced "Cad-you". Vernier is pronounced "Vern-eer".
    Don't forget about Lah-ser being pronounced as Lash-er.

You must not have been on that street for years. All kind of revitalization going on there now. It's on the comeback and is busy like it use to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast