Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New Detroit Bus Stop Signs

I just noticed new bus stop signs on the Vernor route. The colors and logo match the new bus colors and each stop includes a number to text for the arrival time of the next bus. I was driving so couldn't get a picture to post.

Has anyone else seen these? Any info to add on when they'll be rolled out city-wide?

you'd have to take a pic...are you sure they're not just the new[[ish) green/white signs replacing the old green/gold ones? I've worked on a couple of consulting projects for DDOT in the past 2 years, and I wasn't aware they were going through a rebranding.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    you'd have to take a pic...are you sure they're not just the new[[ish) green/white signs replacing the old green/gold ones? I've worked on a couple of consulting projects for DDOT in the past 2 years, and I wasn't aware they were going through a rebranding.
    No, they are definitely new/different from the ones put up during the Kilpatrick admin:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...1!4d-83.064124

and the really old/newer ones used recently:

I haven't made it back over there to get a picture, but I'll try sometime this week. The new signs use the new logo and colors that have appeared on buses and on the DDOT website over the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    No, they are definitely new/different from the ones put up during the Kilpatrick admin:

and the really old/newer ones used recently:

I haven't made it back over there to get a picture, but I'll try sometime this week. The new signs use the new logo and colors that have appeared on buses and on the DDOT website over the last few years.

Those "new" signs have actually been around for a few years already. I'd like to have one the older ones for a keepsake. I haven't seen one for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Those "new" signs have actually been around for a few years already. I'd like to have one the older ones for a keepsake. I haven't seen one for a while now.
    Which signs are you referring to?

The first link is to the signs put up over 12 years ago during the Kilpatrick administration

The second link is to the old school signs used decades ago, and have been resurrected for use in the past few years at new/moved bus stops or as replacement signs for those installed under Kilpatrick.

My initial post is about even newer signs that I saw on the Vernor route [[seen at EB Vernor and Grand Blvd) with graphics/logo that match the new bus and website color schemes that were introduced in the past couple years.

Which signs are you referring to?

The first link is to the signs put up over 12 years ago during the Kilpatrick administration

The second link is to the old school signs used decades ago, and have been resurrected for use in the past few years at new/moved bus stops or as replacement signs for those installed under Kilpatrick.

My initial post is about even newer signs that I saw on the Vernor route [[seen at EB Vernor and Grand Blvd) with graphics/logo that match the new bus and website color schemes that were introduced in the past couple years.

So what you're saying is neither of your two photos are the new signs? I thought someone asked for a photo of the new signs and that's what one of your photo links were.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-14-20 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    So what you're saying is neither of your two photos are the new signs? I thought someone asked for a photo of the new signs and that's what one of your photo links were.
    Correct. Neither link is to the new sign. I've yet to get back over there to snap a pic. I have a haircut appointment Friday, so will get one then.

The links were to clarify to KnnNike that I knew which two signs he was referring to and that the new sign was different from either of those.

Wish someone would take some nice close-up photos of these signs we're all talking about [[the ones by middetres are hard to make out) so we could continue an informed dialogue. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Wish someone would take some nice close-up photos of these signs we're all talking about [[the ones by middetres are hard to make out) so we could continue an informed dialogue. Just sayin'.
    +5... A photo of the alleged sign would be considered admissible evidence.

I have a haircut appointment Friday, so will get one then.
    Keeping one's haircut appointment is always a good idea.

This is the old school sign, used for decades until the middle of the 2000s when Kilpatrick changed to the style in the next post. This old school sign has been brought back and used the past couple years at new/moved bus stops instead of using the Kilpatrick design. Example: when the Hamilton bus [[route 23) was realigned to use Third south of Warren instead of Second, the new stops on Third used this bus stop sign
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by middetres; September-15-20 at 10:07 AM.

This is the Kilpatrick design introduced well over a decade ago. It was a vast improvement, giving much more important info for the casual bus rider.

Name:  IMG_1900.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  72.1 KB
    Last edited by middetres; September-15-20 at 10:21 AM.

This is the new design I saw on the Vernor route. I added 3 miles to my morning walk until I came upon a new sign along the route out of downtown along Lafayette and Bagley. No new sign until I hit Bagley and Trumbull, but I had to walk down to Rosa Parks because the sign at Bagley was already defaced with a sticker

Front:
    Name:  IMG_1904.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  89.3 KB

Back:
    Name:  IMG_1902.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  121.6 KB

I do like the cleaner look of this new signage.

On the DDot website, they promote usage of the Transit app, I wonder why they don't make a reference to that app on the new signage. It automatically locates what stop you're at and provides you all the route information and real-time bus location.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    I do like the cleaner look of this new signage.

On the DDot website, they promote usage of the Transit app, I wonder why they don't make a reference to that app on the new signage. It automatically locates what stop you're at and provides you all the route information and real-time bus location.
    Agreed. I've been using the Transit app for a few years now. It's really good, and works in every metro area I've visited in the U.S, and it's expanding globally. It integrates all area transit options into one app: bus, rail, ride share, bike share. Currently does not integrate scooters, but perhaps one day.

The new signs have a lot of blank space, perhaps info that can change over the years will be placed there with static stickers? Routing/frequency/scheduling, etc.