Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Belle Isle Garden designed by famed Gardener Piet Oudolf

There was a story on the new Belle Isle Garden on channel 4 news last night.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ng-art-garden/

Nice find ndavies! I was unaware of that. This deserves a thread of its own.

I wish Channel 4 had brought a drone for an aerial view to get better idea of the extent. It makes me wonder if they are integrating/restoring the Nancy Brown Peace Pavilion with its little over grown funky moat around it. I hope so.

Copied from the flooding thread.

Right now they are staking everything out and planting should be happening starting Tuesday. It may be some time before the public is able to experience it though since there is still a lot of work to be done around the Carillon and there will be wetland plantings done next year.

I have been documenting the project for the organizers. You can find the images on their instagram @oudolfgardendetroit, my instagram @rsouthen or my colleagues @heathersaundersphoto.

It is going to be a great project when all is said and done and help connect the Conservatory all the way to Flynn Pavilion. Organizers are hopeful that this investment will be enough to help encourage further investment in the area including the conservatory and bandshell.

As for the Nancy Brown Carillon there will be a pathway that connects it to the garden and it will be flanked by beds as well. At this time I don't think there are plans beyond that but the garden could encourage some restoration of that spot as well.

Aerial view of the garden location... click on video....

https://oudolfgardendetroit.org/

Some of his gardens from around the world...
    https://www.pinterest.com/kirkeke/piet-oudolf-gardens/
    Last edited by Gistok; August-28-20 at 12:39 PM.

Having this on belle isle is fantastic. Solidifies it status as a world class park.

Does anybody know what's going on with the Newsboy Shelter? I thought it was being restored but it's just sitting their with planks holding it up. It's a state park now, doesn't the state have the money set aside to restore things like this? Sorry if this is too OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Having this on belle isle is fantastic. Solidifies it status as a world class park.
    It took 50+ years of neglect to get it where it was, and it will take many years of work to get it back to its' full potential... but yes it has the potential to rival any park anywhere.

I'm not sure what they can do with the mess that is the eastern wooded area... now with high water levels... a swamp.

And then there is the decaying Belle Isle Zoo. Not sure if they have to raze it, or find some other use for what can be salvaged. Either way, that won't be cheap.

Also the Belle Isle Boat Club needs a development plan. So glad that the rowing club has maintained the interior spaces... the exterior needs major work however... and some sort of use.

Perhaps one day the Grand Prix can be moved elsewhere... that cement abomination needs to go. Having so much of the summer months with all those cement barriers around the western end of the island is ugly as well.

Glad that all the island statuary is "politically correct".

Saw the news in today's newspaper [[yes, I still get the papers delivered to the house)...includes photos!
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...en/5648821002/

Thanks for the information about the new Piet Oudolf garden on Belle Isle.
    There is a great deal of park renovation and development going on in
    Detroit. I hope that renovation actives planned for Chandler Park will be
    completed soon. After the renovation of the Cultural Center is completed in ten years or so with new public spaces there, it is possible that no other
    large city in the country will have as attractive array of parks and public spaces as Detroit.

9. Default

The spring flowers are blooming and their website and social media sites are filled with images. https://oudolfgardendetroit.org

This drone video from last October gives and excellent view of the layout and progress to that date.