Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle Flooding.

Has the water ever receded from the road? Any solutions offered? High water levels could be with us for years.

A dam was put in on the east side of the island and the water has receded by at least a foot. Much of the flooding from the lakes and canals is gone and the island is looking better than it has in a long time thanks to that.

The flooding has killed a bunch of trees in the forest this year.

When I visited Belle Isle last week, I saw that the area for the imaginative new Piet Oudolf garden has been staked out and work was being done on that land. I assume that planting might wait until spring. This will be a spectacular addition to Detroit's impressive park system.

According to Freep.com the majority of planting will be done next week, with some additional work in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    According to Freep.com the majority of planting will be done next week, with some additional work in the spring.
    Exactly. You'd better believe they're not going to risk having all of that work go to waste with flooding, I'm glad to see they're finally fixing this.

Right now they are staking everything out and planting should be happening starting Tuesday. It may be some time before the public is able to experience it though since there is still a lot of work to be done around the Carillon and there will be wetland plantings done next year.

I have been documenting the project for the organizers. You can find the images on their instagram @oudolfgardendetroit, my instagram @rsouthen or my colleagues @heathersaundersphoto.

It is going to be a great project when all is said and done and help connect the Conservatory all the way to Flynn Pavilion. Organizers are hopeful that this investment will be enough to help encourage further investment in the area including the conservatory and bandshell.

Something tells me with all the rain we've gotten the past 9+ hours, the east side of the island is once again un-passable and under water

It should look very contrived and mall-like when finished. It will make a nice background for auto racing on a natural migratory stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It should look very contrived and mall-like when finished. It will make a nice background for auto racing on a natural migratory stop.
    Have even seen one of his gardens? Doesn't look like any mall I've ever been to...

https://www.pinterest.com/kirkeke/piet-oudolf-gardens/