Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Infill On the Cut

Hi all,
    Check out this project posted on Gensler's website. I'm not quite sure if its old news or not, but it's nice to see a visualization of infill here and its connection to the dequindre cut. I'm assuming Gensler is responsible for masterplanning and not all of the architecture.

https://www.gensler.com/projects/inf...-cut?o=detroit

Name:  Infill on the Cut.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  112.0 KB

This project was announced a few years ago, but I believe these are the first actual renderings made available.

Yeah, this was announced in Crain's nearly 3 years ago coming up in September. The Platform bought the site, and have been busy with other projects.

BTW, a Crain's article from last year says that SITIO architecture was chosen as the architect for the project. Christman out of Lansing will be the general contractor.
    Last edited by Dexlin; August-25-20 at 03:17 AM.

They should redo that intersection while they are at it

The old Joe Muer's site. What a great restaurant that was...

The restaurant is still very much with us.

Nothing on Sitio's website, but safe to say this on pause due to COVID. Did Platform change horses? The Gensler renderings are fairly developed for a simple master planning effort.

https://www.theplatform.city/gratiot...0neighborhoods.

http://www.sitioau.com/
    Last edited by hybridy; August-25-20 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    They should redo that intersection while they are at it
    Just curious about what you think should be changed? I really like the way it is, because it's not the usual "X" or "T" road crossing that we find almost everywhere else in Detroit....

SOme traffic calming there would be helpful. People take that turn onto Vernor like it's a freeway on-ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    SOme traffic calming there would be helpful. People take that turn onto Vernor like it's a freeway on-ramp.
    Ah yes... during rush hour, when there was an accident on EB I-94, people would hop onto the Fisher get off at Gratiot, and make an immediate bee line for EB Vernor to take one of the eastern routes to the Pointes or back onto I-94.

This looks fantastic. Would not only bring Gratiot avenue to another level but would also compliment the Eastern Market area and enhance that whole neighborhood. Hopefully seeing renders leaked means they're far along in the process. Maybe groundbreaking next summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    The restaurant is still very much with us.
    Haven't been to either of the new restaurants. Do you recommend them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ah yes... during rush hour, when there was an accident on EB I-94, people would hop onto the Fisher get off at Gratiot, and make an immediate bee line for EB Vernor to take one of the eastern routes to the Pointes or back onto I-94.
    I always take Vernor or Forest to my east side home. 94 is always chaotic and Jefferson is too jam packed. Vernor or Forest is only 3 minutes slower but with a quarter of the chaos. I keep hoping that nobody catches onto this!

Thinking about this very cool plan again, now that Gratiot is losing its planned Detroit Center for Innovation. This is one of so many large parcels ripe for an ambitious project.

The other one I think of is the site at Russel & Service, at the old Busy Bee mural building. Service Street is popping, and would be great to see the adjacent cobblestone block restored there. Between that, Infill on the Cut, and the fail jail site, we'd have a seriously awesome and unifying mile of Gratiot heading into downtown.

Gratiot: where ambitious projects go to die...

It's not going to happen until we get some investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's not going to happen until we get some investors.
    I know, Danny, but spending other people's money is the mainpurpose of DYES.

Right now the Hudson's block is continuing progress, and the Book Building/Tower are continuing their restoration and transformation... those are the best signs so far... about $1.2 billion right there.

The new Joe Muer's is a decent restaurant, but other than being seafood-centered it's not Joe Muer's. The Andiamo people just bought the name and trademarks from the Muer family several years after Muer's itself was closed and gone and used them to sell a different restuarant.