Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pizza Hut Closures

This national, non-Detroit-based chain has been shrinking for years now. They have been completely absent from the city of Detroit for a couple of years and over the past few months I've noticed that in addition to the closure of what had been my local location, the Southgate location on Fort just north of Eureka, that locations in Lincoln Park [[Dix just south of Southfield), Dearborn [[Michigan in Eastborn), Westland [[Wayne across from Westland Mall) and Clawson [[14 Mile and Main) have all closed as well. Part of it is due to COVID lockdown, the rest of it is due to Pizza Hut's decision to shutter all of their dining-room locations, and all of the locations I mentioned had dining rooms. Truth is, they were looking like they were stuck in the 1980's with the gaudy brown brick and orange floor tile, but still a sad sight nevertheless.
    Last edited by mtburb; August-24-20 at 08:56 PM.

I've only been twice. Absolute worst pizza ever.

But their breadsticks are awesome. At least the last time I had em.

A hundred years ago, I used to do their lunch buffets, but it's been years since I've been in any sit down place to eat.

Who remember the carry-out PH on Woodward in Highland Park? It was probably one of the most rowdy places ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I've only been twice. Absolute worst pizza ever.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-25-20 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    A hundred years ago, I used to do their lunch buffets, but it's been years since I've been in any sit down place to eat.
    I think all Pizza Huts are carryout only now. It's been years since I've seen a full service one.

^^^ Yeah one of the last was on Michigan near Schaefer in Dearborn. I can still recall their pig-sty salad bars. Ick!

I remember as a kid going to the Clawson [[14 and Livernois/Main) Pizza Hut. It was a special treat.

I can certainly understand the issue, no one wants to dine-in for pizza anymore, including myself, who used to love it as a kid. Dominos and Little Caesars have been at the forefront of pizza innovation.

Little Caesars' Pizza Portal is awesome. You order your food and when you come to pick it up you take it directly out of the warmer using a special code.

At Little Caesars I now order through an app and pick it up without ever interacting with a human. I don't have to wait in a line. It's a great experience for those that want efficiency and are happy to cut as much human interaction as possible for this type of transaction.

Many years ago I worked at the one on 11 Mile in Royal Oak. I hated that place; cleaning the salad bar after the pig people from hell got done using it was worse than cleaning the damned bathrooms. And people would come in with their 4 kids, order pizzas, breadsticks and salad bars, as well as pitchers of pop, dump food all over the floor, destroy the salad bar, spill pop, you name it. Then leave a dollar tip.
    Arrgghh!!

Before they change the recipe recently, their Pan Pizza was kind of ok.

But now, it is indeed the worst [[even worse than Little Caesars).

Nothing worse than going to the PH buffet and there's a ball or hockey team in there. Brings back nightmares of kids in the yogurt at Ponderosa.
    Last edited by 401don; August-25-20 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    This national, non-Detroit-based chain has been shrinking for years now. They have been completely absent from the city of Detroit for a couple of years and over the past few months I've noticed that in addition to the closure of what had been my local location, the Southgate location on Fort just north of Eureka, that locations in Lincoln Park [[Dix just south of Southfield), Dearborn [[Michigan in Eastborn), Westland [[Wayne across from Westland Mall) and Clawson [[14 Mile and Main) have all closed as well. Part of it is due to COVID lockdown, the rest of it is due to Pizza Hut's decision to shutter all of their dining-room locations, and all of the locations I mentioned had dining rooms. Truth is, they were looking like they were stuck in the 1980's with the gaudy brown brick and orange floor tile, but still a sad sight nevertheless.
    They closed their Plymouth road and Southfield location a few years ago [[near the old KMart). I always loved their crust, it had some kind of garlicky butter slathered on it. But, they definitely have been closing locations in the metro area, this year especially.

Face it. Pizza Hut has to get rid of the dine restaurant atmosphere and turn it into a carry out. Pizza restaurants these days are in the gourmet pizza and more businesses. Not in a simple items in the selection business.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think all Pizza Huts are carryout only now. It's been years since I've seen a full service one.
    The one in Dearborn on Telegraph is still quasi-dine in. They have a couple of tables available for dining, but much of the restaurant has been reconfigured for the social distancing of those getting a carry out. However, I did see a 3 person party dining in there a few weeks ago when I went for my carry out order.
    Last edited by jackie5275; August-28-20 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Many years ago I worked at the one on 11 Mile in Royal Oak. I hated that place; cleaning the salad bar after the pig people from hell got done using it was worse than cleaning the damned bathrooms. And people would come in with their 4 kids, order pizzas, breadsticks and salad bars, as well as pitchers of pop, dump food all over the floor, destroy the salad bar, spill pop, you name it. Then leave a dollar tip.
    Arrgghh!!
    And this is why I never get anything from a salad bar.

Nor should you. The bottom of those salad bar tubs are unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    And this is why I never get anything from a salad bar.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    The one in Dearborn on Telegraph is still quasi-dine in. They have a couple of tables available for dining, but much of the restaurant has been reconfigured for the social distancing of those getting a carry out. However, I did a a 3 person party dining in there a few weeks ago when I went for my carry out order.
    The one near me in GA is also still dine-in.

Shop owner took the whole crew to the one on Telegraph in Taylor in the early 90's. It was the one and only time I ate at a Pizza Hut. Yuk.

Wow, seems I'm not in the norm [[as usuall) I love pizza hut and used to love the salad bar as well although its been awhile. I was just saying about two weeks ago how I need to go there to get a pizza since its been awhile. But yea they were totally 80's and I understand but man, the deep dish pizza I though was great. I always have an out of the norm opinion it seems though. I think the one near me on is still around. May not be open though.

Pizza Hut is [[mostly) dead to me after they killed the Priazzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post

Little Caesars' Pizza Portal is awesome. You order your food and when you come to pick it up you take it directly out of the warmer using a special code.

At Little Caesars I now order through an app and pick it up without ever interacting with a human. I don't have to wait in a line. It's a great experience for those that want efficiency and are happy to cut as much human interaction as possible for this type of transaction.
    I am pretty happy with the portal. It kills off whatever germs that are left over, and keeps the pizza hot. Not to mention the contactless aspect. It reminds me of getting sandwiches and stuff out of the Quickee automats downtown. AND, the special order gets your pizza made fresh, and how you want it. Far better than some other shops around town.

Same on the buffet many years ago while working at the Tech Ctr - never returned since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Same on the buffet many years ago while working at the Tech Ctr - never returned since then.
    My college town had a lunch buffet and every Sunday it was packed. Half people coming home from church, half hung-over 19 year olds. Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The one near me in GA is also still dine-in.
    Not surprised... everywhere in GA allows dine in. A COVID-19 petrie dish...

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    I remember as a kid going to the Clawson [[14 and Livernois/Main) Pizza Hut. It was a special treat.

I can certainly understand the issue, no one wants to dine-in for pizza anymore, including myself, who used to love it as a kid. Dominos and Little Caesars have been at the forefront of pizza innovation.

The only thing that Lil Ceasars "cuts" is corners. Most locations ive visited are gross. Its cool they still make their dough in house except that the house dirty and unkempt. The same goes for their portals, the last time I ordered carryout was using the portal. Thing obviously hadn't been cleaned in ages, layer of filth. Fuck lil sleazy...

I'm done with this chain for now, ill check back in another few years to see if anything has changed. Doubtful from this shit company....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast